Trading Bryce Harper

DOUGHBOYS

Trading Bryce Harper

Post by DOUGHBOYS » Fri Jun 29, 2018 8:50 am

It is incredible that this is Bryce Harper's seventh year in the Big leagues. Harper has made the most out of his splash in the Majors with many endorsement deals. Money that befits a superstar. The problem is that Harper is not a superstar.
In his seven years, he has 30 home runs one time. Never has he had 100 rbi.
Power is what Harper is both known for and why he is drafted by NFBC'ers.
But usually, we are taken in more by the name than the results.
Once compared to Mike Trout, Harper has shown that he is nowhere near Trout's league.

This all said, it is a wonder to me that there aren't any trade rumors concerning Harper.
Oh, I know that Harper is not in Manny Machado's situation. The Orioles are out of the running for a pennant and Machado is a piece that can net several prospects. I get it.
But, why not Harper as well?
Sure, the Nats are still in contention.
BUT, do the Nationals really need Harper to stay in contention?
Right now, they are juggling four outfielders. Harper, Michael A. Taylor, Juan Soto, and Adam Eaton.
Could the Nationals be better off for the present by acquiring another Major League arm and two or three really good prospects for Harper?
I would leap at the chance.
It may be better for their team in the present and for the future, it is a no-brainer.

Next year, Harper is going to sign for 100's of millions of dollars to a sap of a team.
He'll, again, make a big splash and again make a lot of endorsements.
And who knows, he may even hit 30 homers and knock in 100 runs one season during that expensive contract.
Harper's roto line is .220/44/19/46/6
Matt Olson's line is .239/43/17/41/2
On a fantasy level, who would you rather have rostered for the rest of the year, Harper, who is attempting to live up to his potential or Jesus Aguilar, a player who is realizing his potential?
My answer is Aguilar.
The perception is that Harper is the far superior player, but when it comes down to raw numbers, he is not.
We, and his new club next year, have been and will be paying for what Harper has had as his most bankable commodity...Potential.

Harper has a product, not in high demand in the Majors. Power.
Over 100 players have double digit home runs.
14 players have as many or more home runs than Harper.
Harper has set himself apart from no other player. He is a player that has lived off his potential.
At 25, he still gets to do that with his new upcoming contract.
The Nationals are never going to realize that potential.
They should realize, though, that they can capitalize on that potential by trading him and garnering pieces for the present and for their future.
On my tombstone-
Wait! I never had the perfect draft!

Edwards Kings

Re: Trading Bryce Harper

Post by Edwards Kings » Fri Jun 29, 2018 10:14 am

DOUGHBOYS wrote:
Fri Jun 29, 2018 8:50 am

But, why not Harper as well?
Sure, the Nats are still in contention.
BUT, do the Nationals really need Harper to stay in contention?
Right now, they are juggling four outfielders. Harper, Michael A. Taylor, Juan Soto, and Adam Eaton.
Could the Nationals be better off for the present by acquiring another Major League arm and two or three really good prospects for Harper?
I would leap at the chance.
It may be better for their team in the present and for the future, it is a no-brainer.

Next year, Harper is going to sign for 100's of millions of dollars to a sap of a team.
Do you think a GM would give up a "Major League arm and two or three really good prospects" for a Harper rental? I would guess on a team that felt they need a POTENTIAL impact bat to go deep in the playoffs (Dodgers?) ANDstood a realistic chance of laying a few hundred million on the table to win the 2019 lottery? Maybe....

Actually, given how the FA market played out last off season and given so many teams are "rebuilding", I truly do wonder what Machado (who will let him stay at SS?) and Harper will bring next year....those $25+ million dollar five year plus contracts may not be so easy....

Call it the Jason Heyward effect (or affect).... :)
Baseball is a slow, boring, complex, cerebral game that doesn't lend itself to histrionics. You 'take in' a baseball game, something odd to say about a football or basketball game, with the clock running and the bodies flying.
Charles Krauthammer

DOUGHBOYS

Post by DOUGHBOYS » Fri Jun 29, 2018 2:51 pm

In the minds of a lot of baseball people (aren't we all?), Harper and Machado are "difference makers".
They could fetch a pretty good package as rentals.
And I believe there are still GM's who will shell out a lot of owners money to sign them next year.
If I were a GM, they would be an easy pass for me.

They will be the talk of the off season. A sarcastic 'Yippee'.
On my tombstone-

Edwards Kings

Post by Edwards Kings » Fri Jun 29, 2018 5:37 pm

DOUGHBOYS wrote:
Fri Jun 29, 2018 2:51 pm
They will be the talk of the off season. A sarcastic 'Yippee'.
Ha! Anything will be better than last off season...what a BORE!

Baseball is a slow, boring, complex, cerebral game that doesn't lend itself to histrionics. You 'take in' a baseball game, something odd to say about a football or basketball game, with the clock running and the bodies flying.
Charles Krauthammer

DOUGHBOYS

Post by DOUGHBOYS » Fri Jun 29, 2018 7:33 pm

It was dull.
This year, I picture each of us in a prison cell.
We could have nothing happen all day and have days run together endlessly like last year or we could have one song played over and over again over the intercom.
Your choice! :(
On my tombstone-

Edwards Kings

Post by Edwards Kings » Sat Jun 30, 2018 5:49 am

DOUGHBOYS wrote:
Fri Jun 29, 2018 7:33 pm
It was dull.
This year, I picture each of us in a prison cell.
We could have nothing happen all day and have days run together endlessly like last year or we could have one song played over and over again over the intercom.
Your choice! :(
One song would be better than nothing...the boys on our cell block will be happier...just buy soap-on-a-rope and watch out for MtM in the showers!

Charles Krauthammer