Thoughts.....

DOUGHBOYS

Thoughts.....

Post by DOUGHBOYS » Fri Aug 10, 2018 2:54 pm

Somebody asked me to post about just anything that comes to mind.....Here goes....

A friend of mine tried to get under my skin by asking if Joey Votto will see the Hall of Fame.
"Do you know Votto doesn't have more hits than even Brandon Phillips, who has a much better glove and you know, wasn't named the MLB's worst base runner by Bill James?
They say you have to "hit to get off the island".
You should have to hit to get in the Hall of Fame too.
Votto in the Hall....stupid.
Votto is around 600 hits shy of the Reds great shortstop Dave Concepcion.
200 shy of Vada Pinson.
And you know, they actually saw a World Series.
Votto in the Hall...
Garvey had 300 more hits, a few more homers and 300 more rbi
And he also was in a few World Series.
Votto is a sabr wet dream. That's all.
If having a wet dream Hall of Fame, he would be far behind a lot of women in that category.

I feel sorry for Kenley Jansen and Fernando Rodney owners.
One day, two viable Closers, the next, two droppable players.
Fantasy life just isn't fair.

Need to make moves in your leagues.
Do it now.
With each succeeding year, September becomes more and more of a crap shoot.
The teams is the playoffs tend to (over) rest their best players.
The teams out of the playoffs bring up 50 kids (slight exaggeration) and have a different lineup each day.
Not to mention the 6 or 7 man rotations and "Openers".
I swear to God that MLB is screwing with the season-long game!

I wonder where Vlad Jr. gets taken in drafts next year.
Especially if he is not called up in September.
He could be the first player without a MLB at bat to go in the first three rounds of some drafts.
Really, it could happen.
Of course, the Phillies gave Scott Kingery many millions of dollars before he had an MLB at bat.
How's that working out for you, Philly?

With the Pre-Mature draft around the corner, I am already planning for next year's Draft.
I have to say I have more interest in a lot of players beyond the fifth round, but nobody cares about them.
The first round is what everybody wants to talk about.
I believe these 12 players will go in most first rounds.

Chris Sale
Max Scherzer
Luis Severino
Jake deGrom
Jose Ramirez
Jose Atuve
Francisco Lindor
Manny Machado
Nolan Arenado
Mike Trout
JD Martinez
Mookie Betts

Corey Kluber, Javier Baez, Freddy Freeman, Paul Goldschmidt, Giancarlo Stanton, Aaron Judge, Bryce Harper, Clayton Kershaw, Anthony Rizzo, Kris Bryant, Trea Turner, Ozzie Albies, and others could also see some time in the first round.

When I see Noah Syndergaard this year, I don't get the same Nolan Ryan feeling as in the past....

It'll be damn interesting to see where youngsters Acuna, Soto, Guerrero Jr, and Eloy Jimenez go in drafts.....

Will Byron Buxton be like Tulo and hang around top rounds because of the name?....

For whatever reason, I've semi-rooted for the Cubs the last couple of years.
It felt like Anthony Rizzo's team,
Now, it seems like Javy Baez team and I don't even semi-root for them any longer.
I don't know why.....
Wait, maybe I do.
Rizzo seems like a 'We', Baez, a 'ME'.
For fantasy, I like 'ME' players, for real teams I'll take the 'We'.
On my tombstone-
Wait! I never had the perfect draft!

Bronx Yankees

Re: Thoughts.....

Post by Bronx Yankees » Tue Aug 14, 2018 8:41 am

Good stuff, Dan. While I would have agreed with your list of first rounders in its entirety a few weeks ago, I'm thinking Luis Severino is slipping as he continues to get hit. Not sure whether he is tipping his pitches, hurt, or simply failing to execute, but as this period of crappy performance (for him) continues, he looks less and less likely to be a first round selection next year. Funny, we don't think twice about hitters having slumps as long as they work their way through them. When it comes to pitchers, it just seems less acceptable to see an SP1 pitch like an SP6 for an extended period of time.

Mike
Mike Mager
"Bronx Yankees"

DOUGHBOYS

Post by DOUGHBOYS » Tue Aug 14, 2018 9:20 am

Agreed Mike.
Severino is pitching his way out of the first round. He reminds me of Chris Sale a bit in this way.
When Sale was younger, and even last year, he seemed to 'fade' a bit as the year went on.
That fade would be the last thing remembered by fantasy players and place him a little lower on draft boards the following year.
The same thing will probably happen to Severino.

It's amusing to think about the Yankees and their 180 degrees turn from the beginning of the season.
As the season began, folks were saying, 'If only Stanton would hit, this lineup would be on fire'.
And, 'If the Yankees can trade for pitchers to back Severino, they could be great'
Now, Stanton is the Yankees bright light and Severino has become a problem in the Yankees rotation.
It shows how tough it is to click on all cylinders.
The Astros having similar problems this year.
Meanwhile, the Red Sox are that team that has minimal injury and maximum players who are performing at a high level.
BUT, and it's a big BUT, we are not at playoff time yet.
On my tombstone-
Wait! I never had the perfect draft!

Bronx Yankees

Post by Bronx Yankees » Tue Aug 14, 2018 11:51 am

True. It is incredibly hard to be hitting on all cylinders, and even harder to do so at the right time. Could the Red Sox be peaking prematurely? Who knows, but they sure look tough to beat right now. Seems like all of the contending teams have at least one weakness heading into the playoffs.

Mike
Mike Mager
"Bronx Yankees"