Junk and Stuff

DOUGHBOYS

Junk and Stuff

Post by DOUGHBOYS » Mon Jul 30, 2018 10:57 am

I own Ryan Yarbrough in a Main Event.
As a real pitcher, he is a run-of-the-mill type.
98 innings, 87 strike outs, a 3.67 ERA, and a 1.30 WHIP.
In this day and age, that is about as average as it gets for a real pitcher.
What sets him apart is that Yarbrough is average as a Starting pitcher. Starting games is a rarity for Yarbrough, having started only five games.
In those five games started, Yarbrough has not been good. 2-2, with a 5.31 ERA.
But, as a long reliever, he is far from run-of-the-mill.
He has a 7-3 record with a 3.15 ERA.
In effect, Yarbrough has become the first viable long reliever in NFBC history.

The secret for Yarbrough is Tampa's use of an 'Opener'.
An 'Opener' is a Starting pitcher who will only see one or two innings.
He 'opens' the game for a long reliever. In doing so, he virtually forfeits his chance at a Win.
This is Yarbrough's cue to do his 3.15 ERA thing.
Yarbrough is not tethered by the five inning requirement.
Better, when Yarbrough enters a game, Tampa could have a 5-0 lead and HE would be the beneficiary of that lead.
Yarbrough has as many Wins as Trevor Bauer (9) and more strike outs (87) than Jake Arrieta (80)
For a run-of-the-mill real pitcher, he makes for a fascinating fantasy pitcher.

..........................................................................................................................................................

Ever notice how not one pitcher in Major League Baseball is deemed 'wild' ?
Now, they simply lose their 'command'.
I really don't even know what the Hell that means.
Tyler Chatwood has not had 'command' all year.
How can he lose something he never had?
A Sergeant can lose his command.
I can give my dog a command.
Chatwood had no command.
He is wild enough to be a very uncomfortable at bat. A lot like Ryne Duren back in the day, Chatwood is sans the bottom of Coke bottle glasses that Duren used to wear, but as wild.
Chatwood has walked more hitters (85) in the first four months of 2018 than all but one pitcher (Wade Miley, 93) walked in the whole year of 2017.
He has more walks than strike outs.
Who does that?
A pitcher who is wild.
A pitcher can lose 'command' and keep his job.
When he becomes wild, his job is in jeopardy.
Chatwood is wild.

............................................................................................................................................................

Broadcasters Bible....

EVERY diving catch shall be deemed as amazing, incredible, fantastic, or any other like adjective.

Any ball stroked to the opposite field for a base hit shall be deemed as 'a great piece of hitting'.

Any ball stroked to the opposite field resulting in an out shall be deemed as 'having the right idea'.

Any Catcher who cleanly fields a ball in the dirt shall be deemed as 'never getting enough credit for ability to pick balls out of the dirt'.

Any Catcher who blocks balls from going to the backstop shall be deemed as 'never getting enough credit from the runs saved in blocking pitches'.

Any home player, batting second through seventh in the lineup and laying down a bunt shall be deemed as 'smart'.

Any visiting player, batting second through seventh in the lineup and laying down a bunt shall be deemed as 'questionable'.

Any home Manager, tossed from a ball game shall be deemed as 'Fiery'.

Any visiting Manager, tossed from a ball game shall be deemed as 'losing it'.

..............................................................................................................................................................

One more thing about Tyler Chatwood, he is the only pitcher to have walked 70 hitters in 2016, 2017, and 2018.
What made the Cubs and fantasy owners think that Wrigley would be better than Coors for his 'command' ?
Chatwood has walked 58 batters at Wrigley Field. More than a walk an inning (57 1/3 innings pitched).
27 on the road.
In 2017, he walked 37 hitters at Coors in over 70 innings pitched.
Just saying....

................................................................................................................................................................

I give high school and college kids a pass for being stupid.
When I was in high school and college, I didn't have the opportunity to be stupid, nationwide.
Now with the internet, these kids have every opportunity to show their idiocy to a lot more folks.
It comes back to bite people like Sean Newcomb in the ass.

.................................................................................................................................................................

In closing, I leave you with two sets of comparable roto stats for 2018...

Joey Votto (82 BB).......289/58/9/52/1

Jason Heyward (32 BB)..277/54/7/44/1
On my tombstone-
Wait! I never had the perfect draft!