The Mess In New York

DOUGHBOYS

The Mess In New York

Post by DOUGHBOYS » Thu Jun 28, 2018 10:59 am

Sometimes I feel sorry for the New York Mets. Mostly, I don't.
No matter the year, non-fans of the team never take the Mets seriously. I suppose that is why they are always the 'Miracle Mets' whenever they actually do get in the post-season.
They play in the same town as the most well-known franchise in sports history.
They are not a rival of the Yankees/ More like fodder for the New York writers when getting bored with the Bronx Bombers.

The Mets history has been spotty to say the least.
When you say 'Mets', very few big time players enter our heads.
Seaver, Koosman, Gooden, Strawberry, and David Wright come to mind.
Even retired numbers of Mets players leave something to be desired for the franchise.
Gil Hodges made his mark with the Dodgers. As did Mike Piazza. Ralph Kiner was a Pirate. Casey Stengel will long be remembered for his work with the Yankees.
Seaver, the only true Mets player to have his number retired by the club.

The Mets have a history of making pretty good trades.
One of their latest, netted Noah Syndergaard in a trade for deteriorating R.A. Dickey.
The problem with these type of trades is that the player then has to play with the Mets.
You may laugh, but that is a problem.
The Mets have consistently been horrible in maintaining health for their players.
They whine about injuries every year, as if it is the weather and there is nothing that can be done.
A change is needed.
Almost every player that has played with the Mets during the last five years has had to deal with injury.
The notable exception, being Jake deGrom.

Fantasy wise, I made a promise to myself in not drafting Mets in any high stakes league. It has worked well for me.
Again this year, Jake deGrom is the only exception to an injury riddled squad.
Simply, the Mets cannot be trusted for fantasy play.
They will claim bad luck. But when something happens year after year after year, it is a trend, not luck.

I write this because I saw a news flash that the Mets are taking offers for Syndergaard and deGrom.
I don't know about Syndergaard, but I would offer a lot for deGrom, ESPECIALLY if I were in the same division as the Mets.
The Phillies could offer up three or four of their best prospects for deGrom.
What they would give away is a doomed future for the prospects under Mets health care.
And what they would receive would be the only player during the last 10 years to consistently avoid the Mets health crisis.
To boot, deGrom is one of the best pitchers in baseball.

The Braves offered Jose Bautista a minor league contract and released him.
The Mets gave him a Major League contract.
That says a lot about the direction both franchises.
The Mets do not want to 'unceremoniously' release Jose Reyes because of his history with Mets.
WHAT?
Reyes will never be thought of as a great player.
He may be remembered more for his off field activities and bunting, then leaving a game in the first inning to secure a batting title more than his playing career itself.

Maybe the Mets should deal Syndergaard and deGrom and, in effect, blow up their franchise.
If they do, it should be a blow up of everybody in the organization.
The owner on down to the bat boy. (Sorries in this case, only for the bat boy)
Keep the broadcasters intact though. Right now, they are the best thing in a really, really bad (mis)organization.
On my tombstone-
Wait! I never had the perfect draft!