Goldschmidt is Better Than Blueballs

DOUGHBOYS

Goldschmidt is Better Than Blueballs

Post by DOUGHBOYS » Thu May 29, 2014 10:49 am

Would you rather have this line and player for your fantasy team......369/45/14/37/1
Or this one?....................................................................309/40/10/37/3
I can even sweeten the pot and say the first set of numbers is from a 'tougher' position than the second set of numbers.
These numbers are 'in the bank', so of course, most of us will choose the first player, who is Troy Tulowitzki.
Fantasy players are a 'what have you done for me lately' group as a whole. Tulo owners are rejoicing that he has stayed healthy for two straight months. Most of them now, are almost counting on that health to carry them to fantasy gold.
Non-Tulo owners know that it won't last. They know that Tulo is one of the best players in baseball, but pass him in drafts because of the health heartaches.

The second set of numbers are from a player who maintains health. We take it for granted that he will play every day. Drafters took this into consideration in taking him above Tulo in every NFBC draft held.
Paul Goldschmidt does not have a long track record, but what NFBC drafters have seen from him, they like.
Goldschmidt has played in almost total obscurity this year. Recognition from writers and tv personalities have drooled over Jose Abreu, Nelson Cruz, Edwin Encarnacion, and Tulo.
And they all deserve it. They've had great seasons.
I get a sense though, that these players are rabbits in a marathon.
Abreu has already fell victim to an ankle problem that has pestered him since spring training. Cruz has hardly mastered the art of playing a full season. Encarnacion ebbs and flows like water in a kids bathtub.

I wouldn't mind owning all these players right now. If owning even one, you are probably high in many hitting categories.
But how would you rank them now?
If there were a 2015 draft being held tomorrow, what would your list look like?
Tough, right?

Here's my reckoning and I'll start from the bottom to the top.
Cruz has only played a full season once in his career. He'll turn 34 soon, making him the oldest and probably the most susceptible to missing games whether it is the Chipper Jones method or Carl Crawford method.
He also has prior PED use in his past, which in the backs of folks minds, may turn out to bite him (and his owners)again.
He has the best numbers of anybody on this list. But going forward, I would want him rostered least of the four players.

Abreu kicked American ass before succumbing to his ankle biters.
In effect, Abreu will have two seasons this year- The one before his injury and the one after.
When coming back, pitchers will know the dangers of throwing to Abreu and will probably offer up more pitches off the plate.
His patience and mettle will be tested.

Tulo wears number two on his uniform. A tribute to Derek Jeter. There are some characteristics that Tulo should pick up from Jeter.
The first being in playing shortstop in a 'keep healthy' mode. Jeter limits contorting or make unnecessary movements at shortstop. Tulo is the master of making easy plays tough and making tough plays a cigarette break for his owners.
IF he can stay healthy this year, he'll probably have better numbers than any other player in baseball.
It's not as impossible as thinking if only I can talk to Kate Upton, I know that she'll fall in love with me. But, fantasy owners know that Tulo has fantasy suicidal tendencies.

It is my belief that most of the Blue Jays stars are taking PEDS.
I mentioned this last year and the year before.
Encarnacion too.
It is there choice and I'm not going to lecture whether it is good or bad, especially since it is speculation on my part.
I have to look at this through a fantasy prism.
Sure, PEDS gives Encarnacion a boost, but it provides fantasy side effects too.
The worst of those, is getting caught.
A 50 game suspension in the middle of the season from a guy getting Encarnacion numbers is like having Kate Upton ACTUALLY falling in love with her suitor, only to have the suitor be told that Miss Upton has an STD and that sex will have to wait for 50 days.
The suitor and Encarnacion owners would both suffer from entirely different cases of blueballs.

So, I play the odds.
In my pee-brain, the odds of Tulo getting hurt exceeds Encarnacion being stupid enough to get caught. After all, in the PEDS round up last year, hardly anybody was truly caught by Major League Baseball. They just picked the wrong WalMart to pick up their prescriptions.
Goldschmidt has the most going for him. Unassuming fits him to a tee. He will go on slamming balls and hitting .300 without much notice, then in September, these writers and broadcasters will once again stipulate that Goldschmidt is, indeed, a damned good hitter.

So, my list for the rest of the year would be:

Goldschmidt
Encarnacion
Tulo
Abreu
Cruz

What about you?
How do you think these five will rate by the end of the year?
On my tombstone-
Wait! I never had the perfect draft!

joshguy

Re: Goldschmidt is Better Than Blueballs

Post by joshguy » Thu May 29, 2014 3:07 pm

I would take Goldy as he seemingly has the fewest issues. But you're right, if Tulo stays healthy, he will be the most valuable.

Just think, one easily could have drafted 4 out of 5 of those guys. And still have a 3rd, 4th, 5th,7th,8th, and 9th RD pick.

Outlaw

Re: Goldschmidt is Better Than Blueballs

Post by Outlaw » Thu May 29, 2014 5:49 pm

My list the rest of the way with no injuries. Biggest injury risk is Tulo

Stanton
Goldy
Joey Bats
Trout
Tulo

Puig is probably on the list too.