Brett 'Maverick' or 'The Hustler'....Both Work

DOUGHBOYS

Brett 'Maverick' or 'The Hustler'....Both Work

Post by DOUGHBOYS » Wed Jul 18, 2012 2:03 pm

I know by the time I am done writing this post that the 'Grim Reaper' will already have a post stating info on how bad this injury is. Grim reaper is my pet name for another poster who seems to revel in posting bad news on the Boards.
His info is gleaned from other sites, and we already probably know that info, but he is undeterred.

I saw Brett Lawrie's injury today.
Brutal.
And he only has himself to blame.
Lawrie can't help himself.
He's a balls to the wall player. I love watching guys like Lawrie play, but I never draft them.
Because of what happened today.
He jumped over a railing and went sprawling into a camera well. At the least a twisted ankle. But, it's probably worse.
We want our players to hustle all the time. To give their all. At least as fans.
As an owner, watching Prince Fielder look at a ball going into the stands without much effort is ok with me.

It is part of the seedy part of fantasy baseball. If we see a guy like Robinson Cano or Dexter Fowler 'coast', we think that they're not giving 100 per cent. If we own them, we know there is less chance of them getting hurt.
Brett Lawrie is young and still thinks of himself as invincible. Not a good combo for owners.
Pete Rose played balls to the wall as well. But, he was always a little smart about it. The chances he took were calculated. For Lawrie, it is see ball, run after ball, get ball.....no matter the obstacles.

I downgraded him on the theory that today would come. I may be right about not drafting him, but at the same time, I hate myself for being right.
Lawrie is just a fun player to watch.
He busts his ass down the line after every batted ball. Few players can say that. I hardly ever say I'll miss watching a player who I haven't drafted. This year, watching Lawrie and Mike Trout play has been an absolute pleasure.

I hope that Lawrie is ok. I don't think he will be. And I doubt I draft him next year as well. As Yogi might say, "He'll be young till he gets too old'.
But, while he is on the field next year, I'll enjoy him.
It's hard to find a player who gives 100 per cent on the field.
This year, Lawrie has come closest.
On my tombstone-
Wait! I never had the perfect draft!

Outlaw

Re: Brett 'Maverick' or 'The Hustler'....Both Work

Post by Outlaw » Thu Jul 19, 2012 8:31 pm

the kid swings way too hard. he will need to change his approach to ever be a solid .300 hitter at the major level.

DOUGHBOYS

Post by DOUGHBOYS » Thu Jul 19, 2012 10:15 pm

I'm bald too.
We can find flaws anywhere.
I don't think the Blue Jays, Lawrie himself, or his fantasy owners expect him to hit .300
He only did it once in the minors.
So, you're correct.....but it's sorta like saying, 'Ichiro doesn't swing hard enough, he'll never hit 20 homers!'
A gimme.
On my tombstone-
Wait! I never had the perfect draft!

CASS

Post by CASS » Tue Jul 24, 2012 12:06 pm

I think it's safe to say the answer to 'is it crazy that lawrie and hosmer are going in the 2nd?' is YES.