Second Half Heroes

DOUGHBOYS

Second Half Heroes

Post by DOUGHBOYS » Thu Jun 28, 2012 9:41 am

A personal choice, without boring you why, I am not playing in the second half leagues that are drafting at the break.
But, that doesn't stop me from telling who and why I would like to have at each position if I were to draft.
For those participating, they know that mine is just one of the many opinions and shouldn't count more than anybody elses (shuddup spell checker), especially their own.
So here goes....

Catcher-
I don't think Santana or Avila rebound. Both are dinged and players are like cars, those dings usually turn to dents.
Molina, Ruiz, and Pierzynski will be taken high because of their first halves. They may be able to keep up the pace, but I wouldn't bet on it.
The guy I would take would be Matt Wieters. Wieters had a real good second half last year and is playing on a team that still cares. He'll dh most days that he doesn't catch, something the other three mentioned can't say.

First base-
It's easy to say Pujols here and if at a good spot to take him in the first round, he would be a nice pick, but I'll refrain from first rounders in this post because they're just too easy.
For first base, there are three players I'd consider that can be taken at different times in the draft.
If wanting a 1b near the top half of the draft, I'd go with Teixeira. He is over his maladies and is a huge second half hitter anyway. With that lineup of which none of the key offensive players are still healthy, he'll even luck into some stats too.
If not wanting to go that high for a 1b, I'd think about Freddie Freeman a little later. Freeman has fought through a few minor injuries and could be an asset for the second half.
A little lower is Paul Goldschmidt. The Diamondbacks should be done giving Overbay time at first base and Goldschmidt has a chance to run away with the job in the second half.

Second base-
My first instinct would be to say Altuve, but I'm afraid he would break down as he's already shown.
The gambler in me would go for Aaron Hill. He seems awfully comfortable and it may not just be a streak.
The conservative in me says go for Howie Kendrick. He's been quiet this year and the Angels are going to need him down the stretch.

Third base-
Ryan Zimmerman is somebody I hardly consider for a full season, but for this concept, he may be perfect. He's had his injury and should hit. He's the type of guy that can get revved up by a pennant chase.
I'd consider him heavily.

Shortstop-
Alcides Escobar has flown under radar, he could keep on truckin'
Also if in the need of speed, Dee Gordon is turning it around too.

Outfielders-
Heyward, Trout, Swisher, Willingham, and a little rebound from Alex Gordon too.
All great choices.
Still, the outfielder I would bank on the most would be Jay Bruce. He always has a white hot streak and it usually comes during the second half.

Pitching is crazy. Stability would seem to be the key. But who is stable?
I can throw out the tired names of Verlander, Cain, Price, blah, blah, blah, it may be more beneficial to tell who I would avoid.
Lance Lynn, Samardzija, Greinke, Wandy Rodriguez, and James McDonald would be on my avoid list.
Lynn, Samardzija, and McDonal have never been good for a full year and wearing down may be a problem.
Greinke and Wandy could get traded to the wrong teams. Wandy in the A.L. is just plain scary, as is Greinke in a place where he doesn't want to pitch. I'd let somebody else take the risk.

Kimbrel may be the prize pitcher. He's above the elite Closers and is the best player at any position that can be drafted outside of the first two rounds. Kimbrel may get more k's than Wandy over the second half.
Gun to dog's head, I'd want Kimbrel on my team and hope the other players fall in place around him.

This all is just one opinion and the very definition of 'Junk'.
If entering and win based on this post, send me a bag of Doritos.
If wrong, hey, it was just junk.
On my tombstone-
Wait! I never had the perfect draft!