DREW Barrymore Would Look Better on My Team

DOUGHBOYS

DREW Barrymore Would Look Better on My Team

Post by DOUGHBOYS » Mon Jun 18, 2012 2:53 pm

As Stats Ballers, we are a judgmental lot. If we were stupid enough to draft Kevin Youkilis at the beginning of the year, we have an inborn need to call him a p**** any time he can't answer the bell. In fact, sticking with boxing terms, Youkilis can be classified as punch drunk with little hope of 'rocky Balboa' heroics.
Heck, even if we don't own Youkilis, just his fantasy demeanor of being in and out of lineups gives us the right to cally him a p**** .
We don't know the man personally, but we do know him professionally. And THAT is the only part of his life that is meaningful to us. As much as Youkilis drives his owners crazy, there could be something worse coming down the pike.
When I say JD Drew, the first word that comes to my mind is 'Disabled'. It used to be 'potential'. Until I found that Drew could not, or more importantly, would not take the field unless 100 per cent healthy. The press gave him credit as they do with most players for playing through injury. I never bought into it.
In fact if there were two words given for Drew, it would be 'Disabled List'
Three- 'Day to Day
And four- 'Out of the Lineup'

I say all this because of what has happened in Arizona.
Diamondbacks brass are upset that Stephen Drew is not playing on a Major League field. They are thinking that Drew only wants to play at 100% because of this being his contract year. For Drew to be at 100%, it means that his rehab takes longer. It means that his minor league stint goes longer.
Sound familiar?
The Drew's have realized that baseball owners are like fantasy owners.
They've shown the skills and they count on those Major League owners to remember those skills.
Not the time off in between displaying the skills.
The Drew's have realized that playing at less than 100% may help their team, but hurt their pocket book.
How much is Stephen Drew worth in a fantasy sense?
Well, I look at Dustin Pedroia and I know he is playing hurt. The guy knows his team needs him. That fall between Pedroia and Punto is steep. and even in a fantasy sense, we have more faith in Pedroia producing while hurt than Punto at full strength.
Now, lets replace Pedroia with Drew. And Punto with Bloomquist. If Drew is iffy, even with less of a hurt than Pedroia, I'm playing Bloomquist on my fantasy team. More than likely, Drew gives boo. I can hope for Bloomquist to do something on the field. At the least, he gives a crap.
In a fantasy sense, Drew is a heartache waiting to happen for his drafters.
How much is Stephen Drew worth in real baseball?
Like his brother, in real baseball there'll be some owner who thinks Stephen Drew will be different if signed by him.
He won't.
The Drew family is using baseball like a porta-potty on a long trip. They don't care about standings, pennant races, teammates, or venue.
They only care about the money.
And how they can make more next time.
He'll get paid too much by an owner.
Other owners will laugh as fantasy owners laugh at somebody who unwittingly drafts an injured player.

As said, we are a judgmental lot. It's a part of our game
Stephen Drew could go on to have a lovely career. Or like his brother, parlay one big year and a lot of potential into a boat load of money.
The only thing I do know about his future is that his name will never be on my lips in a fantasy draft.
I've got enough frustration in my life.

On my tombstone-
Wait! I never had the perfect draft!