Tiger or The Tigers?... Today, Tiger

DOUGHBOYS

Tiger or The Tigers?... Today, Tiger

Post by DOUGHBOYS » Sun Jun 17, 2012 10:05 am

This is a little off topic in a way, please bear with me.

I've said before that I don't really consider golfers, athletes. In an athletic sense, I put them with ping pong players, Polo players, or croquet players. Never out of breath, it helps to be in shape, but it is not required.
At the same time, sometimes on a Sunday afternoon, I will choose watching golf over baseball.
While not an athlete in my eyes, to be a professional golfer, one has to be loaded with bravado.
Gekko type bravado.
These guys are like the best looking stripper in a cheap, sleazy club. Every eye within distance is fixated on them.
It is the ultimate individual sport. While we duffers look for one good shot in a round, these guys are expected to make that shot every time. And with millions of eyes fixated on them.

Yesterday, I watched Tiger Woods wither as the rest of the field passed him. In the past, this would have never happened. Tiger was the Man. Everybody knew it. Now, Tiger is fighting his own demons. Demons that come with living in the modern world. A world where we the public know everything about a celebrities life. In the past, Woods would be known as a womanizer and the subject would be treated with a wink of an eye.
Not now.
Now, along with his golf game, part of his private life is ogled by the public.

It all adds to my choosing golf over baseball on Sundays.
While I think there id no better sport to watch overall than baseball, the finality of an end of a golf tournament is more riveting.
Then there is the other side of things.
Yes, I have a fantasy golf team.
It's almost like admitting a musical taste for Barry Manilow, or that 'Glee' is a favorite tv show.
But like all Stats Ball competitions, it makes watching these tourneys that much more fun.

Adding to the fun this week, is that this course is kicking every one of these golfers ass.
It's like seeing a home run hitting contest on ice.
We marvel that these pro's can shoot 10 under par on some course.
But, it is more fun when a course brings professional golfers to their knees.
They are struggling to shoot par this weekend. All golfers can identify with that.

This all being said, there is one aspect of golf and its history that astounds me.
The need for quiet before making a shot.
To make this a true spectator sport, there should be a roar in these golfers ears as they strike a shot.
There used to be a comedian that made fun of golf's 'quietness'.
He wanted to combine Little League and professional golf.
When a golf partner is about to hit, the other player would start chanting, "Hey golfer, golfer, Hey golfer, golfer, SWING GOLFER!"
Although maybe not going that far, professional golf would get more attendance and viewership if it became a little more fan participation.

Again, thanks for bearing with me for going off course, sorta speak.
On my tombstone-
Wait! I never had the perfect draft!