An 'Optimistic' Top 10

DOUGHBOYS

An 'Optimistic' Top 10

Post by DOUGHBOYS » Wed Jun 13, 2012 3:13 pm

It's easy to fling negatives at players, managers, teams and organizations.
I haven't done a top 10 list in awhile, so lets hear it for the folks who are doing a swell job
Let's do the opposite of negative campaigning here and hand out some Attaboys.
Some heart felt, some not so much.....

1. The Washington Nationals in how they are handling Stephen Strasburg.
Sure he can throw complete games if allowed, but the Nationals have something this year and they'll want Strasburg down the stretch and possibly the playoffs. They are limiting his innings in a way that is beneficial to them. Very smart.

2. Daniel Bard and Neftali Feliz got the lions share of the hype in the off season when it came to relievers transforming to starters. Since, Feliz is only getting batters out on video games and the Red Sox version of Joba'ing Bard is coming to a close.
But Chris Sale and Lance Lynn have been extraordinary (here's where a normal writer would give stats to fortify his statements, but I don't have to do that with you guys, you guys KNOW how good they've been.)

3. The Angels putting Mike Trout at the top of the order. Most kids his age would have hit 6-9, but the Angels put him at the top and he and the Angels and him are better for it.

4. Roy Oswalt signing with Texas does little for me. In fact, I look for him to get creamed in some games. Still, we have to like the 'Go for it' attitude of the Rangers. Their window is open this year and they're not missing on many opportunities to make their club better.

5. Not one person that I know of, has come forward from the Red Sox organization and said something like this:
"We sure miss the innings that John Lackey would be giving us this year."
Thanks for not lying to us, Red Sox Management.

6. The consistency of Dayton Moore. The Royals continue to be the Royals. In the meantime, Moore has made Omaha one of the better places to watch minor league baseball in the world. You ought to go see them Kansas City residents. It's cheaper, more fun, and you may even see the home team win.
Hey, that was positive!
I called Moore consistent!

7. The Cleveland Indians and Pittsburgh Pirates.
By being a few games over .500 at this time of year, the 'surprised' pundits are talking about them as real contenders.
The 15 minutes of fame is great for their fans.

8. It was clear during the off season and spring training that the Cincinnati Reds had no idea what to do with Aroldis Chapman. Chapman threw some great innings while Reds brass remained silent to the press on what their plans were.
Thankfully, Ryan Madson went down with an injury and Sean Marshall pitched like a Cub, so the Reds were forced to use what may be the most electric arm in baseball at an important juncture of the game.
The decision was made for them, while still deciding.
Way to go, Reds!

9. Ramon Hernandez, Michael Cuddyer, Marco Scutaro all were handpicked by Dan O'Dowd to join the Rockies this year because of their clubhouse presence.
They haven't disappointed.
When Rockies starters depart in the second or sometimes third inning if good, these guys are there for them.
A shoulder to cry on, a towel for after the shower, a slap on the back with a 'You'll get 'em next time.'
Feeling good about themselves, these pitchers are free to go to the press and say, 'No really, I'm healthy, this is just how I pitch.'
Last year there was turmoil after a loss, this year, the losses are more prevailing, but easier to take.
And this, makes Dan O'Dowd happy.

10. Kershaw, Kemp, and Ethier signed, the Dodgers new organization could be the new George Steinbrenner of current baseball. The Yankees and Red Sox have slowed their pace and the Rangers are looking at this year more so the future. The National League should be on watch.
The Dodgers have money and a good base for the future. That could make for a scary combination.
Last edited by DOUGHBOYS on Wed Jun 13, 2012 4:02 pm, edited 1 time in total.
On my tombstone-
Wait! I never had the perfect draft!

KJ Duke

Re: An 'Optimistic' Top 10

Post by KJ Duke » Wed Jun 13, 2012 3:45 pm

DOUGHBOYS wrote:
10. Kershaw, Kemp, and Ethier signed, the Dodgers new organization could be the new George Steinbrenner of current baseball. The Yankees and Red Sox have slowed their pace and the Rangers are looking at this year more so the future. The National League should be on watch.
The Dodgers have money and a good base for the future. That could make for a scary combination.
Meanwhile, the DBacks are stocked with ridiculous young pitching talent.
Not looking good for San Diego this season, next season, next decade. I've found the new Cubs!

NorCalAtlFan

Post by NorCalAtlFan » Wed Jun 13, 2012 4:23 pm

KJ Duke wrote:
DOUGHBOYS wrote:
Not looking good for San Diego this season, next season, next decade. I've found the new Cubs!
easy. the padres have made the WS in our lifetime. i think the last living fan who saw the cubs in the WS passed away last year.
new cubs same as old cubs :D

Navel Lint

Post by Navel Lint » Wed Jun 13, 2012 6:41 pm

NorCalAtlFan wrote:
KJ Duke wrote:
DOUGHBOYS wrote:
easy. the padres have made the WS in our lifetime. i think the last living fan who saw the cubs in the WS passed away last year.
Whoa, Whoa, Whoa........

The Cubs were in the World Series just 67 years ago :D If fact, this weeks inter-league play gives us a rematch of that great 1945 WS between the Cubs and the Tigers. And let's not forget 1938, '35, '32, and '29. There has to be plenty of 83+ year old Cubs fans out there 8-)
Russel -Navel Lint

"Fans don't boo nobodies"
-Reggie Jackson

KJ Duke

Post by KJ Duke » Wed Jun 13, 2012 6:45 pm

NorCalAtlFan wrote:
KJ Duke wrote:
DOUGHBOYS wrote:
Here is a comparison no Padre fan wants to see ...
of Venable = Campana
2b Forsythe = Barney
ss Everth < Starlin
lf Quentin = Soriano
1b Yonder < LaHair
of Maybin > DeJesus
3b Headley > Stewart
c Hundley < Clevenger

Volquez < Garza
Bass < Dempster
C Richard < Samardjia
Marquis < Maholm
Ohlendorf = T Wood

The Padres would match up well with the Cubs if you take away Starlin Castro, Garza and Dempster. :o :oops:

Quahogs

Post by Quahogs » Wed Jun 13, 2012 8:13 pm

a fight ! Cubs vs Padres