Peter Piper had a Pet Peeve...Or just a Peeve

DOUGHBOYS

Peter Piper had a Pet Peeve...Or just a Peeve

Post by DOUGHBOYS » Tue Jun 12, 2012 2:19 pm

I don't root for any professional team. So when I listen to radio announcers and watch tv broadcasters, I judge their calls and stylings more than how their home team is doing. Some of the things they say have me talking back to the tv and turning off my radio. I like to call these pet peeves, but my wife says if I have too many of them, they can't be pet peeves. They just become 'peeves'. I can live with that.
These aren't the obvious peeves like Hawk Harrelson is a homer, or Keith Moreland is as boring as a vanilla wafer.
These are common phrases that should not be common phrases.

"He had the presence of mind too...blah blah blah"...
This line is used in every sport-
In football, a quarterback finds a receiver after breaking from a potential sack...
In baseball, it could be an outfielder making a diving catch, then leaping to his feet to double a runner off base...
Or a pitcher getting drilled with a line drive and having 'the presence of mind' to track down the ball and throw to first base.
I played baseball and softball for 45 years, never did a 'regular guy' say that somebody still 'had the presence of mind' to accomplish any task.
It's slobbering.
Over stating a player's actions.
Announcers particularly like saying this line when it involves the home town team player.

In real life, if we had a broadcaster in our home, it would go like this.....
Announcer- "Wow, Todd has burned his hand on the stove!"
Play-by-play guy- "Ooh! That'll leave a mark!"
Announcer- "Look! He's running over to the tap and running cold water on his hand!"
Play-by-play guy- That Todd is a heady guy! He burns his hand and still has the presence of mind to run cold water over his injury. Wow! What a play!"

//////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////

Another one is how long something is taking, anything.
The Cleveland Indians announcer is the most guilty.
Bemoaning how many times a catcher talks to the pitcher. Or how long a pitcher takes between pitches.
He has a job that only 30 people have. He has a job that everybody would like to have. Yet, he announces like he has an appointment at the beauty shop and that these guys won't hurry. Nobody is noticing how much time anything is taking on the field except him. But in his angst, he feels it is part of his job to tell us that, "Pierzynski is going out to talk to Floyd, AGAIN! What could be the problem that these two can't get their signals straight?"
If given a chance, he would change the line in 'Take me out to the Ball Game' that reads 'I don't care if I never get back' to 'just make sure I'm home by 11'.

////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////

Here is the all time line that used by home town announcers,is guaranteed to be agreed to by everybody in his listening audience-
'We have the best fans in baseball!!!'
No matter who says it, it gets an instant :roll: and a stiff middle finger from me.
There are no best fans in baseball, football, or any sport. There's Stat Ballers, rabid fans, guys and girls on dates, a family outing. No matter the city, the level of 'fanship' will be different with each person in each city.
Yet, this pandering line remains a staple.

///////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////

"The courage this guy has for facing these adversities and still play ball, Amazing!"

"This one gets me right here.
No, not the heart, the gut.
As everyday people we face adversities even more than these players do. It could be a monetary problem, a familial problem, the passing away of a family member. We face it all and we go on with our lives.
When something happens to a player, announcers pass out the 'Courage' word like M&M's.
That player does not have any more 'courage' than we do. In fact, we don't even call it courage, we call it, life.

////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////

So, how about you fellas?
Is there a line that broadcasters use that put you on tilt?
Let's hear it....
On my tombstone-
Wait! I never had the perfect draft!

headhunters

Re: Peter Piper had a Pet Peeve...Or just a Peeve

Post by headhunters » Tue Jun 12, 2012 4:57 pm

he juuuust missed it. please stop. please

ToddZ

Post by ToddZ » Tue Jun 12, 2012 6:19 pm

This is football, but still...

A 4th year college player makes a nice catch on the sideline, tapping his toe to stay inbounds and he is credited with making a "senior play".

Eight months later the same guy has his toe land on the sideline and he made a "rookie mistake."

How come every pass that is deflected or every time the QB misses a guy it would have been a touchdown if the pass was complete?
2019 Mastersball Platinum

5 of the past 6 NFBC champions subscribe to Mastersball

over 1300 projections and 500 player profiles
Standings and Roster Tracker perfect for DC and cutline leagues

Subscribe HERE

ToddZ

Post by ToddZ » Wed Jun 13, 2012 9:09 am

Just thought of another, and my fantasy brethren are as guilty as "real life" announcers.

When did injuries get shortened to just naming the body part?

Smith is out with a knee. Jones is sidelined with a shoulder.
2019 Mastersball Platinum

5 of the past 6 NFBC champions subscribe to Mastersball

over 1300 projections and 500 player profiles
Standings and Roster Tracker perfect for DC and cutline leagues

Subscribe HERE

Ando

Post by Ando » Wed Jun 13, 2012 11:56 am

ToddZ wrote:Just thought of another, and my fantasy brethren are as guilty as "real life" announcers.

This shortening comes from football. If I remember correctly, it was originally started by the ever secretive New England Patriots and Bill Belicheck.
"Luck is the residue of design."

-Branch Rickey

DOUGHBOYS

Post by DOUGHBOYS » Wed Jun 13, 2012 12:26 pm

One that is close to Mike's....

'This is a game of inches'
BAH!
By their determination, any and all games are a 'game of inches'.
On my tombstone-
Wait! I never had the perfect draft!

Jeff Erickson

Post by Jeff Erickson » Thu Jun 14, 2012 1:59 am

ToddZ wrote:Just thought of another, and my fantasy brethren are as guilty as "real life" announcers.

Back when Dave Wannestedt was the Bears' coach, he used to do that.

"He's got an ass. He'll be fine."
Get a free 10-day trial at RotoWire:

http://www.rotowire.com/trial