Some Stuff

DOUGHBOYS

Some Stuff

Post by DOUGHBOYS » Mon Jun 04, 2012 12:01 pm

Justin Verlander has lost three straight games and has as many wins this season as.... :o Daniel Bard.

There have been 63 days played in the MLB season.
And 63 times a batter has hit a single, double and home run in the same game.
Please join me in a big :roll: :roll: , the next time a member of the press says 'He fell a triple shy of the cycle'.

Fantasy cycle?
One sb, two hr's, 3 runs, four rbi.

Paul Konerko is hitting .366
Konerko has zero stolen bases.
If he ends the season hitting .366, no small feat itself, and does not steal a base, only Ted Williams (.388) will have hit for a higher average without stealing a base.
John Olerud hit .363 without stealing a base.

Players have gotten bigger, stronger, and faster.
Yet, without steroids, home run records remain untouched.
Do we blame the larger parks?
If so, wouldn't/shouldn't we have more triples?
108 players in major league history have had 20 triples during a season.
Only two, Jimmy Rollins with 20 in 2007 and Curtis Granderson (23) in the same year, are active.
By the way, Granderson is the only player in history to have had at least 23 doubles/triples/home runs in the same year.

At the same time, the top 10 leading strike out season by hitters are ALL active.
Yes, Jack Cust is still getting paid....

Was there any doubt that Felipe Paulino would shut out the A's?
Paulino has a streak of batters going 0-24 with men on base.
At the same time, the A's have been shut out 11 times this year.

What one season record is unbreakable?
Literally, not figuratively...
Maury Wills played in 165 games in 1962.
Then, they had a best two of three series after a tie for the pennant....

For Mets fans....
What team has the most recent no-hitter?
I fgured Mets fans would rather see that question than the 'What franchise has gone the longest without a no=hitter' question.

As of now, Brandon Beachy has the seventh lowest batting average (BAA)against for one season in baseball history.
He shares the spot with Sandy Koufax 1965 year.
THAT is impressive.
Now, here is something even more impressive-
Gio Gonzalez is fourth on that BAA list.
Three pitchers from 'The year of the Pitcher', 1968 are in the top 16 on that list.
Luis Tiant, Dave McNally, and Bob Gibson.
If Beachy and Gonzalez continue, they would be the only two pitchers from the same year to both reside in the all-time top 10 of that category.

Name a player that had an all-time top 20 On Base Percentage season besides Ruth, Bonds, Williams, Hornsby, or Mantle.
You can't.
Those are the only names.
Williams- 7 times
Ruth- 6 times
Bonds- 4 times
Hornsby- 2 times
Mantle once
On my tombstone-
Wait! I never had the perfect draft!

Navel Lint

Re: Some Stuff

Post by Navel Lint » Mon Jun 04, 2012 1:19 pm

DOUGHBOYS wrote: For Mets fans....
I fgured Mets fans would rather see that question than the 'What franchise has gone the longest without a no=hitter' question.
Now that the Mets have gotten their no-hitter, everyone is referencing the Friars as the current team that has gone the longest (6,897 games) without throwing a no-hitter, and they are.

However, I prefer another current no-hitter streak. The Cubs have gone the longest (7,392 games) without having a no-hitter thrown against them. The Cubs have not been no-hit since Sept 9th, 1965 when Sandy Koufax pitched a Perfect Game against the Cubs in LA. The Dodgers won that game 1-0. The Cubs pitcher that day was Bob Hendley. He only gave up 1 hit in the complete game loss.
Last edited by Navel Lint on Mon Jun 04, 2012 1:53 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Russel -Navel Lint

"Fans don't boo nobodies"
-Reggie Jackson

Navel Lint

Post by Navel Lint » Mon Jun 04, 2012 1:27 pm

Navel Lint wrote:
Speaking of hits in NY. I don't know in anyone else heard this, but I think last night during the game they said that there have been 17 home runs hit at CitiField this season that would not have been homers last year if not for the fence being moved in. I didn't know if the fence change would make much of a difference, but clearly it has.
Russel -Navel Lint

-Reggie Jackson

DOUGHBOYS

Post by DOUGHBOYS » Mon Jun 04, 2012 1:37 pm

Navel Lint wrote:
Navel Lint wrote:
Speaking of hits in NY. I don't know in anyone else heard this, but I think last night during the game they said that there have been 17 home runs hit at CitiField this season that would not have been homers last year if not for the fence being moved in. I didn't know if the fence change would make much of a difference, but clearly it has.

It also may be coincidence, but it seems Mets hitters are more at ease this year....
Changes to follow at PetCo?
On my tombstone-

Navel Lint

Post by Navel Lint » Mon Jun 04, 2012 1:52 pm

DOUGHBOYS wrote:
Navel Lint wrote:
DOUGHBOYS wrote:

It also may be coincidence, but it seems Mets hitters are more at ease this year....
Changes to follow at PetCo?
I don't know if that's true or not, it might be...........

However, other than a slightly better AB/HR rate (46 in 2012 to 51.9 in 2011), their OBP and SLG percentages are almost identical to what they were in 2011.
Russel -Navel Lint

-Reggie Jackson

KJ Duke

Post by KJ Duke » Mon Jun 04, 2012 4:13 pm

DORITOS NEWS FLASH:

Taco Bell sold 100 million Doritos Locos Tacos in about 10 weeks – making it the largest and most successful product launch in Taco Bell's 50-year history, the company said.

Prior to the debut of the Doritos taco, The Crunchwrap Supreme was Taco Bell's most successful product introduction. In 2005, Taco Bell debuted the flour tortilla stuffed with seasoned beef, nacho cheese sauce, sour cream and a tostada shell. So popular, it became a permanent option on the menu in January 2006.

Taco Bell spokesman Rob Poetsch said the Crunchwrap "has been dethroned" by the Doritos Locos Tacos, which debuted March 8. The so-called re-invented taco is made with a nacho cheese-flavored Doritos shell. The $1.29 taco, stuffed with seasoned beef, lettuce and tomatoes, is served in a Doritos-branded “taco jacket” or holster.

It's everything Taco Bell fans expect: wacky, portable and cheap.

Taco Bell Chief executive "Mr. Doughboys" has called the Doritos taco a “flavor pairing just waiting to happen.”

And, more flavored shells by Doritos are expected, including a Cool Ranch version of the Doritos taco, Taco Bell said.

To put some perspective on the 100 million tacos sold, Taco Bell notes that McDonald's sold its first 100 million burgers in 1958 – 18 years after the first McDonald's burger stand opened, and three years after Ray Kroc started his first McDonald's franchise.

More importantly, the Doritos Locos Taco is responsible for lifting Taco Bell sales. In mid-April, Taco Bell reported a 6 percent increase in same-store sales for the first quarter. During that time, Taco Bell debuted the Doritos taco.

DOUGHBOYS

Post by DOUGHBOYS » Mon Jun 04, 2012 4:57 pm

100 million?
That's all?
Between my grandson, Pablo Sandoval and I, we're probably good for one percent of those sales.
Teammates quit calling him 'Panda'. Now, it's Pablo Bell.
We heard about ranch flavored coming down the pike, but they are missing obvious sales with their 'Taco Favored Doritos'.
On my tombstone-

Ando

Post by Ando » Tue Jun 05, 2012 12:48 pm

Doritos News Flash:

I'm a big fan of smoky. I'm a big fan of Chipolte. I'm a big fan of BBQ. I'm a big fan of Doritos; not to the level of Dan, of course.

I went to the grocery store Sunday afternoon antsy as hell as I bobbed and weaved through another FAAB period. Not only antsy as hell, but hungry as hell. I looked at this new Doritos flavor sitting on the shelf of our smalltown grocery store. I said to myself, 'Based on it being Smoky, Chipolte, BBQ, and Doritos, I should like it, but I know it will taste like sh*t.' I did mention I walked into the grocery store hungry, right? Never a good idea. Because $4.29 and 3 minutes later I confirmed it tastes like sh*t. Not only do the flavorful toppings of ingredients not mix at all, it's a different chip! How can they make a different chip? Thick as hell, like cardboard. Unreal.

I normally wouldn't pass on life's fun adventures like this, but I know this has the potential to ruin a day for you, Dan. Stay away from Smoky Chipolte BBQ Doritos, Dan. Stay far away.
"Luck is the residue of design."

-Branch Rickey

DOUGHBOYS

Post by DOUGHBOYS » Tue Jun 05, 2012 2:09 pm

Thanks Matt-
Every product has something wrong with them. For Doritos, it comes wnenever they venture into anything 'spicy'.
I won't even buy them anymore, preferring to stay with the old favs of Nacho Cheese, Ranch, Taco, and regular.
Best new chip this year is Lay's Honey Barbeque. Best Barbeque chip to come along in a long time.
Don't even act like you're not interested, Zola!
I see you eating those Pringles!

Now, in order to make this a baseball related post-

How about that CHIPper Jones?
Jason SALTalamacchia?
bRANCH Rickey?
Felix 'Frito' Pie
Defense Independent Pitching Statistics (DIPS)
On my tombstone-

ToddZ

Post by ToddZ » Tue Jun 05, 2012 5:36 pm

google yourself and you show up in all sorts of weird places...

It took me a couple of cans to figure out Pringles was just messing with fools like me -- making me think the new multi-grain ones were "healthy". But they are good.

I'm back on the wagon -- Baked Lays with the occasional Sun Chips with my D'Angelos wrap on the way to the gym...
2019 Mastersball Platinum

5 of the past 6 NFBC champions subscribe to Mastersball

over 1300 projections and 500 player profiles
Standings and Roster Tracker perfect for DC and cutline leagues

Subscribe HERE

DOUGHBOYS

Post by DOUGHBOYS » Tue Jun 05, 2012 10:10 pm

Way to go, Todd.
The old saying is, 'they haven't made a bad chip, and they haven't made a chip that's good for you'.
There's a little truth on the front end, and probably a lot more on the back end.

Good luck, Todd.
On my tombstone-

Navel Lint

Post by Navel Lint » Thu Jun 07, 2012 9:24 am

DOUGHBOYS wrote:
There have been 63 days played in the MLB season.
And 63 times a batter has hit a single, double and home run in the same game.
Please join me in a big :roll: :roll: , the next time a member of the press says 'He fell a triple shy of the cycle'.

Fantasy cycle?
One sb, two hr's, 3 runs, four rbi.
I was just watching Quick Pitch and they mentioned how Cespedes was a HR short of a cycle. It made me laugh and :roll: .Then I realized he said “HR short of……”, that’s a little different than triple short, so I HAD** to look it up.

Thru 6/6

Players a single short of cycle : 3
Players a double short of cycle: 8
Players a triple short of a cycle: 70
Players a HR short of a cycle : 19

The "Fantasy Cycle" has happened 2 times this year.

** I know it’s gotta be some form of “baseball stat OCD”, but I suppose there are worse things to be obsessive about. :)
Russel -Navel Lint

-Reggie Jackson

bjoak

Post by bjoak » Sun Jun 10, 2012 3:36 pm

Don't know if you covered this as I haven't been around lately, but how bout this stuff:

Most runs scored at home in the majors:
Colorado Rockies

Least runs scored on the road in the majors:
Colorado Rockies

They also have the worst ERA at home by a country mile (yeah, it's not great on the road either).

The ballpark, yeah, but this is ridiculous!
Chance favors the prepared mind.