Slow Draft Season

DOUGHBOYS

Slow Draft Season

Post by DOUGHBOYS » Sat Jun 02, 2012 9:52 am

During the slow draft season, a few things struck me.
Remember the whole 'anonymous' thing? That whole thing tickled me. It was obvious then, as now, that Mark was the owner of most of the anonymous teams. When I wrote on the Boards that 'Anonymous' was grabbing Mike Cuddyer in drafts, I was told by Greg that 'Anonymous' deserved privacy in his picks like others enjoyed.
I could see the point, but at the same time, 'Anonymous' could have been anybody, right?
But Mark complained and the customer is always right.
But, still amusing in that we can't name a player taken by an 'unknown' team.

Another item was the sheer numbers of slow drafts. Some of these drafts would fill up in a less than a day, and boom, another one was started.
One name seemed to pop up in almost every draft. Well, at least it seemed that way.
Jesse Jastremski.
I would see that name over and over again.
I don't know Jesse, but if a guy can enter and draft as many teams as he, all the more power to him.
I was also thinking this guy has less of a life than I do. But nah, that's not possible.
Maybe he was laid up in a hospital. Maybe he was ultra religious and slow drafts didn't interfere with his Sunday sermons.
I don't know the reason. But the guy entered and entered and entered.

And since, I know I have no life, I took it upon myself today, to see how Mr. Jastremski is doing.
He entered 22 slow drafts.
In using the 'Vote early and often' tactic, he entered eight $375 slow drafts and 14 $150 drafts.
$5,100 spent.
Each team has a different team name. Inspiring that he can come up with that many names and still know at a glance of the 22 different standings, which one is his team.

Mr. Jastremski hasn't had much luck yet.
Although he owns two percent of the 1050 teams, he has no teams in the top 10 percent of the class.
Overall, his best team sits at #214.
He is tied for first in one league.
He is third in another.
In the other leagues, he is currently out of the money.

A part of me is rooting for Mr. Jastremski to at least win his money back.
If not, there'll probably be even more slow drafts next year.
If he cannot break a record for most hits for NFBC slow drafts, he can surely set the bar high for most at bats.

The timeliness of picks is, and will always be the issue for these drafts. It's frustrating to be checking in all day, not knowing when we'll get our pick in.
We rely on the kindness of strangers.
There have been several suggestions, but none that really benefit all to change the eight hour clock.
In the end, we just have to hope that others are as respectful as we are.
By all rights, as technology gets better each year, these drafts should go a little smoother.
At the same time, real life happens and while we're on pins and needles looking forward to our next pick, that draft could be the farthest thing on the mind from the guy on the clock who is having a dire, real life happening. Either way, the same two words come into play- Be respectful.

Hopefully, Greg and STATS get the draft room opened sooner this year. There are a lot of folks who want to draft early and often. The last two years, I've run early NFBC E-Mail leagues and they run smooth as silk and there is little problem filling these leagues.
If the draft room can be opened earlier during the coming year, it'll lead to an even larger overall prize for the victor.
It'll also give more fantasy players something else to fill there off-season time.
And, most likely, it'll make Mr. Jastremski smile once again.
On my tombstone-
Wait! I never had the perfect draft!

ToddZ

Re: Slow Draft Season

Post by ToddZ » Sat Jun 02, 2012 9:42 pm

if anyone is wondering why there is a red EM next to a player, it is because all the D's and L's are on my teams.

I forget, are we allowed to make injury jokes in Doughy's section?
2019 Mastersball Platinum

5 of the past 6 NFBC champions subscribe to Mastersball

over 1300 projections and 500 player profiles
Standings and Roster Tracker perfect for DC and cutline leagues

Subscribe HERE

DOUGHBOYS

Post by DOUGHBOYS » Sat Jun 02, 2012 10:47 pm

ToddZ wrote:if anyone is wondering why there is a red EM next to a player, it is because all the D's and L's are on my teams.

I forget, are we allowed to make injury jokes in Doughy's section?
Anything goes here, Todd.
Let me start with one.
Kevin Youkilis was caught picking his nose and eating it today. It was later discovered that Youkilis suffers from a syndrome called 'Sinus Ingesting Trombosis'.
He will miss his next game while trying to recover from the syndrome that has affected the later years of his career, SIT.

Yeah I know, but hey, like Youkilis, we can't be too picky.
On my tombstone-

DOUGHBOYS

Post by DOUGHBOYS » Sun Jun 03, 2012 3:01 pm

Picking up where Todd left off....
I don't mind 'woe is me' injury posts.
In actuality, there is no better place to rant than these Boards.
The wife will never understand.
The mention of fantasy baseball, let alone injuries from fantasy baseball, draws eye rolls from friends and family.
This is the place where others can sympathize and feel your pain.....well, most everybody.

Now.....As for posts 'updating' us on injuries...... :roll:
On my tombstone-