Corvettes Yes....Pinto's No

DOUGHBOYS

Corvettes Yes....Pinto's No

Post by DOUGHBOYS » Thu May 31, 2012 9:40 am

A friend asked me upon hearing the news that Jamie Moyer was let go by the Rox, if he was Hall of Fame worthy.
My friend is a big Rockies fan, so I cut him a little slack.
WHHHAAAT!?! MOYER!? ARE YOU CRAAAZZY!?
Ok, not that much slack....
He came armed with the information that Moyer had more career wins than Bob Gibson.
Did he play with the Globetrotters?
Did he start three games in World Series?
Three times?
Throwing complete games in 8 of those nine starts?
Did he ever have a 1.12 ERA?
Did hitters fear him?

My friend knew the Gibson comparison would set me off. My friends get a kick out of pissing me off in a baseball type way.

...Well no, but he does have a boatload of wins.
Do you think he has even a chance?

Longevity does help some players make the Hall of Fame. Don Sutton was an above average pitcher who pitched longer, a lot longer than most pitchers, and he resides in the Hall.
Sutton does have his detractors. Personally, I think he is a travesty of a broadcaster, but that is getting off track.
Sutton had an amazing run of 15 straight years with over 200 innings pitched. And 20 years total of over 200 innings pitched.
That is important in comparing the two pitchers.
Moyer 'only' had 10 years of 200 innings pitched and even though he pitched longer than Sutton, has 600 less innings pitched for a total.
This illustrates that Moyer was good at being in the right place at the right time. A quality that is not Hall of Fame worthy.
Sutton was integral to most of the teams he pitched with. Moyer has become press fodder for his long-lastingness....Ha! Take that, spell checker!
Moyer has been around sooo long that of every batter since 1900, he has faced almost nine percent of them.
During those years, he went from fireballer, to crafty, to hittable, to position player taking the mound in extra innings.

The Hall of Fame does not reward longevity alone.
They reward the Corvettes, the Mustangs, and the Rolls Royce of players. Not a Pinto that lasted an absurd million miles.
Moyer will get a vote or two. Heck, he probably knows every voter personally and has a story about their dads or sons.
But no, he is not Hall of Fame worthy.
On my tombstone-
Wait! I never had the perfect draft!