More Lies.....And Less Homers

DOUGHBOYS

More Lies.....And Less Homers

Post by DOUGHBOYS » Mon May 28, 2012 9:31 am

Everybody lies.
In fantasy baseball, we have to not only discern talent on the field, we have to have a good feel on who is lying off the field. Matt Kemp said that his injury would not put him on the dl. That his team needed him too much. The first part was a lie, the second, not.
I'm not picking on Kemp, just using him as an example that we can not listen to 'heat of the moment' remarks.
Right now, we know that Roy Halladay has a bum shoulder. The Phils do not want us to know how bum it is, so they tell us its 'normal bumness'. That could mean anything, so it's not a lie. It is misleading. As fantasy players, we know at this time of year, there is no such thing as normal bumness. Bumness is bumness. And although I just made up that word, we're in the world of bumness. We just want to know how bad the bumness is.

Brian Roberts was interviewed during an Orioles game. Roberts has been trying to get back on the field for the better part of two years, fighting concussion problems.
During the interview, the interviewer asked him if he was excited about the announcement that he was slated to take the field the next day. Roberts responded that he had known for a long time, but it was not revealed to the press, in case there were more set backs.
He said the reason for this was so he wouldn't have to answer more questions about further setbacks.
A lie of omission.

One of my favorite lies (it's ok to have favorite lies, right?) is the bullpen by committee.
We never see a bullpen by committee. It is a term made up by a Major League Manager to tell us...
'I don't know who the f... to throw in the ninth. It removes pressure from any annointed pitcher in the bullpen and gives the Manager carte blanche in choosing a ninth inning pitcher.
But, that's it.
The 'winner' of the bullpen by committee is the first pitcher that succeeds. The latest situation being that of the Washington Nationals. After Henry Rodriguez failed, Davey Johnson cried bullpen by committee.
Less than a week later, Tyler Clippard is that committee.

Alright, enough about lies.
Can somebody tell me what the San Diego Padres mission is?
This year? Next?
This is a team that begs to have a run 'n gun offense. Their stadium demands it.
Instead, they can't wait to see how PetCo can bring a hitter like Carlos Quentin to his knees.
They are doing a disservice to their fans.
They have 18 home runs this year.
Josh Hamilton has more. The Cubs have almost twice as many....The Cubs!
The Padres have 18 homers and 17 wins.
Yonder Alonso and Jesus Guzman have been the three-four hitters in the lineup.
They have one home run this year, between them.
These Padres are Madres!
Padres season ticket holders have seen 28 home games....and seen their team hit a home run just nine times.....in 28 games!
Yesterday, there were nine home runs hit during the Rockies-Reds game.
11,000 season ticket holders and nine homers. Renewal is a bitch.
It's effects every player. Chase Headley is the only player with more than one homer (2) at home.
The whole team has David Wright syndrome and half his talent.
Padres fans may be the only fans to fetch beer, hot dogs, and go the rest room, while the Home Team is hitting.
They traded Mat Latos for Edison Volquez. They should have traded for Bronson Arroyo. That way there fans could have at least seen more homers, even if it for the opposing team. Or maybe they should have traded for Bailey, that way, at the least, they'd be guaranteed of having a Homer.
While signing Quentin to a contract to nowhere, they did Rizzo a favor by trading him to a team where he will have a chance to shine....
Or at the least, hit a few home runs.
On my tombstone-
Wait! I never had the perfect draft!

PGromek

Re: More Lies.....And Less Homers

Post by PGromek » Mon May 28, 2012 1:28 pm

Padres with 3 bombs so far at Wrigley today

is the wind blowing out?....just a guess :D

DOUGHBOYS

Re: More Lies.....And Less Homers

Post by DOUGHBOYS » Mon May 28, 2012 2:05 pm

Blowing a gale.
Now is the time for these teams to beef up there stats while they can.
The Pads are close to Hollywood. Some old wind machines from Hollywood sets would probably be productive for them.
On my tombstone-
Wait! I never had the perfect draft!