At the Quarter Pole....

DOUGHBOYS

At the Quarter Pole....

Post by DOUGHBOYS » Mon May 21, 2012 10:26 am

My style of 'watching' fantasy baseball is probably unlike most others.
I don't take standings seriously till the 12th week. For me, that marks the timetable where some teams have shown themselves to be formidable. Some teams are hitting rich, pitching poor or vice versa, some are just flat out struggling.
Until this time, I don't look at any of my competitor's teams. If I do, it may sway me into thinking I need more of this or that than 'he' does.
I don't need that.
There are enough problems with my own teams.
Some teams are still gaining as much as 300 points a day in the overall standings. It is just too early to take anybody seriously.
Last year's Pittsburgh Pirates is this year's Baltimore Orioles. For the most part, teams like these fade and give way to the power teams that will find their footing.
On that same note, Shawn Childs, an NFBC Hall of Famer, has a team that is 410th overall. Like the Tigers and Yankees, I know that Shawn will not allow himself or one of his Main teams to finish that low.
The wheels are turning, and I know he looks at this as more of a challenge than an eventual result.

But, we have just completed the week where more games were played than any week in the season. With the completion of this week, I feel a lot more comfortable if my teams were not in double digits when it comes to league standings.
At the quarter pole, it gets tougher to make up ground. Of course, it can be done, it's just tougher.
We are still in the accumulation stages. In some categories, we may feel like a middle of the pack finish is good enough. In others, we know we have to fix a problem as soon as possible. When we reach the backside of 12 weeks, this becomes increasingly difficult.
We will have almost half a year of accumulation and fixing category problems then, becomes akin to hammering a bent nail.

If you have $900 of faab money right now, you either have an immaculate fantasy team or you have squandered chances to help your squad. Even if you are close to this amount, you have squandered chances.
Having the most faab money in September is like having the most money in a nursing home. It could be something to brag about, but being the fittest and healthiest, THAT is the real winner.
On my tombstone-
Wait! I never had the perfect draft!

ToddZ

Re: At the Quarter Pole....

Post by ToddZ » Thu May 24, 2012 10:31 am

For the record, I was called out for using the same phrase, so I am just as guilty, but it was pointed out to me that the quarter pole represents 25% is LEFT in the race.
2019 Mastersball Platinum

5 of the past 6 NFBC champions subscribe to Mastersball

over 1300 projections and 500 player profiles
Standings and Roster Tracker perfect for DC and cutline leagues

Subscribe HERE

DOUGHBOYS

Re: At the Quarter Pole....

Post by DOUGHBOYS » Thu May 24, 2012 10:54 am

ToddZ wrote:For the record, I was called out for using the same phrase, so I am just as guilty, but it was pointed out to me that the quarter pole represents 25% is LEFT in the race.
:D
Fair poles, foul poles, quarter poles....it's a slippery slope...And slope is an anagram for poles...Go figure...
On my tombstone-
Wait! I never had the perfect draft!