National Enquirer of the NFBC

DOUGHBOYS

National Enquirer of the NFBC

Post by DOUGHBOYS » Sun May 13, 2012 8:29 am

Great fantasy players look in every nook and cranny to find out everything they can about each player. I have a friend who even tries to find out if a player will be expecting a baby during upcoming seasons and puts three missing days as a demerit in that players column.
With that in mind, I figure the 'lesser players' are not even reading this since they'll be too lazy to scroll down four subjects and go off the 'General Discussion' path.
So, since it's just you and me, I want to talk about something that has been going on for years in the NFBC and still remains a bit of a mystery to me.
The $$$ BUY THIS PLAYER!$$$ posts.
Most of these originate with Gekko, but others do it as well.

The thinking behind it may be to get other league mates to spend more money on a player than that player deserves. It sounds feasible. Personally, I don't think it has the desired effect. And I am glad that only the good fantasy players are reading this, since it has everything to do with who this tactic works on.
The poor players in leagues may be taken in and bid $100 for Juan Cruz.
How has this helped the poster?
More than likely that poor player would not be in the running at the end of the year anyway. And the hell of it is, that when those deciding weeks come at the end of the season, we may be rooting for that same poor player to have enough money to outbid a rival of ours. We don't know. We may be cutting our own throats.

This time of year, I still haven't looked at league mates rosters. It wouldn't do me any good. Those teams at the top may not be there in two or three weeks. Now, is the time for stats accumulation.
For the last two or three years, week six or seven of the baseball season has had every team in baseball playing at least seven games. That week is next week. It is a milestone week in my mind.
I want my teams, all my teams to be in the top half of their leagues by the end of that week. If so, I feel I am in contention. If not, I know that I may have to make some desperation moves during the season and be right on those desperate moves.

In most years, the cream rises to the top in fantasy leagues. The good fantasy player is above the $$$ Great Player Available$$$ posts. Some posters will post these subject heads and look at the bids later and see how much influence the post had. It may be filling a need for control in a hobby where we have little. I don't know. But in the end, it'll have little effect on the final outcome. Or worse, it may have a detrimental effect.
The lesser players will again be duped while the stronger players spends their faab money wisely on the players that are not heralded.

These posts are like going through a check out line at a supermarket and looking at the headlines from a 'National Enquirer'.
We shake our heads thinking, 'Who believes this stuff?'
At the same time, we realize the Enquirer has been around longer than us, which means there are a lot of folks that are reading it and a lot of folks who are susceptible to misleading headlines.
Thankfully, it's not us.
On my tombstone-
Wait! I never had the perfect draft!

Outlaw

Re: National Enquirer of the NFBC

Post by Outlaw » Sun May 13, 2012 11:45 am

Dough- Excellent article on the $$$ FAAB touters. I for one think they do drive up the bids some, but there is not much one can do about it, other than point out alternative thoughts, just like with all the big $$$$ spent on closers this year who have already lost the job or were bid on and never got the job. I like to think everyone makes thier own decision, but there are always followers. It would be interesting to see just how much money % has been spent out of the available pool just on closers this year, but its not easliy compiled.