Are you JOSHin' Me?

DOUGHBOYS

Are you JOSHin' Me?

Post by DOUGHBOYS » Fri May 11, 2012 10:15 am

Josh Beckett disturbs me. I know the press is piling enough on Beckett for his Ferris Bueller day off. That situation is bad enough.
What disturbed me is just one sentence Beckett uttered in the post game interviews.

"We only get 18 days off."

Seriously? Are you JOSHin' me?
You know what Derek Lowe said after beating the Red Sox last night?
That he would be golfing today. Funny if true. Funnier if not.
I don't know if Lowe was serious or just trying to give Beckett the red ass.
But, in saying, "We only get 18 days off", Beckett comes off as Miltonesque. Not Berle...Bradley.

"We only get 18 days off" implies that he lives not to pitch, but for one of those precious days.
Lost is that, HE IS A PITCHER. Dustin Pedroia gets 18 days off. Adrian Gonzalez gets 18 days off.
Being a pitcher is like being a doctor on a cruise ship. There'll be a large need for your services once or twice a week, while the other time is spent in preparation for that event.
If Beckett truly enjoys the game of golf, he can do what avid working golfers do across the United States.
Get in a round of golf before reporting for work.

As working people, we don't count our off days. Beckett does.
We don't get six months off. Beckett does.
We can't call in sick and play golf (unless the boss doesn't know). Beckett does.

Beckett has taken his talent for granted. His ass is reporting for work but not his head. When we admire a pitcher working hard in a game, we say, 'He pitched his ass off'. Well, last night Beckett finished his game with his ass firmly in place. Then, made a bigger ass of himself in the interviews.
It's a shame.
Boston fans are passionate about their team. They're counting the days in hopes of a Red Sox turnaround.
In the meantime, Beckett is counting his days off.
On my tombstone-
Wait! I never had the perfect draft!