Slow Drafts...Not a Marathon for Kenyan's

DOUGHBOYS

Slow Drafts...Not a Marathon for Kenyan's

Post by DOUGHBOYS » Wed May 09, 2012 10:30 am

The slow drafts were fun, weren't they?
A perfect time to while away the hours before baseball season started. Now, most of us have several teams where we look at our roster and say, 'I drafted THAT GUY! What was I thinking?!
We're such morons.
At this time of year, we don't even know who our competition is. Whoever is closest or right above us is a good target for now, but in reality, the races don't really come into focus till Memorial Day.
Right now, we are in accumulation mode. We're trying to get as much of everything as we can in every category.
And nowhere is that more important than in slow drafts.
For slow drafts THIS is the most important time of the year. Our teams are strongest before the injuries and before the demotions. Sure, a demotion could help us, but usually it's the other way around.

We do not want to make mistakes and leave good starts on the bench now. Because at the end of the year, we may not have much on the bench at all. Slow drafts are a war of attrition. There's no cavalry in the form of faab to save the day.
It isn't a pennant race or a marathon. If anything, it is a reverse marathon. We want to get out of the gates sprinting and collapse at the finish line with 23 healthy bodies on our roster.

I had an idea during the off season that we should all be able to have an addendum draft of five rounds during the All-Star break for each league in the slow draft competition. I reasoned that it would give us something to do during that time and we could re-stock our rosters with five healthy players.
Maybe it isn't such a good idea. It changes the format maybe a little too much. With slow drafts now, we know the battle we face all year. For front runners, five more rounds would only serve to help the more needy while making their teams vulnerable to being overtaken.
I haven't brought the idea up again, because it is a game changer. Still, it would be fun to draft the Thayer's, Corbin's, and other players who weren't drafted in all leagues and shore up deficiencies on our rosters.
I don't know.

Anyway, for all slow draft teams who are off to good starts, Congratulations. The skill part of our show is evident and if you're in the top half of your league standings, you're more than in the ball game. But now, skill gives way in the form of a few percentage points to luck in order to keep those players healthy for the year.
And this year being what it is, that will be no easy task.
On my tombstone-
Wait! I never had the perfect draft!