Roger's fighting the Law, And the Law Already Won

DOUGHBOYS

Roger's fighting the Law, And the Law Already Won

Post by DOUGHBOYS » Tue May 08, 2012 5:21 pm

My friends and I talk baseball a lot. Number one subject by far. Something we all have in common. Something we can disagree about and still be correct in our own minds. Something for everybody.
Yesterday, Roger Clemens name was brought up and a collective groan went up from the group. Here was a man that could have gone down as one of the greatest pitchers in baseball history (and still will in some folks minds) but he had to go and use a steroid.
He could have taken the high road like Pettitte, and I say high road because Pettitte admitted to doing them. Like a cop pulling over a drunk driver, Pettitte went the 'Ive only had two beers, Officer' bit.
But, he did admit to it.
Clemens has the money, the time, and the arrogance to fight charges against him.
He's stupid.
That's right, stupid.
Stupid, because baseball people have already associated him with steroids. He thinks innocence in his case will change that. It didn't work for Joe Jackson, and believe me, I think Joe Jackson WAS innocent, and it won't work for Clemens.
Even if Clemens gets the desired verdict, baseball folks verdicts are already in and have been tabulated.
Clemens is guilty.
Now, it is the tedious process of whether his lawyers can beat their lawyers.
Nobody cares.
Except Clemens.
And the lawyers.

Clemens wants to go into the Hall of Fame on the first ballot. It means a lot to him. He pitched his ass off for years and he wants his place alongside Babe Ruth, the man whose plaque he touched before starting a pitching assignment for the Yankees.

It'll be intriguing to see if Clemens is voted in.
Right now, the wounds are too fresh. McGwire and Palmeiro have the numbers but the association with steroids buried them in voting.
Will Clemens and Barry Bonds fair better?
Probably.
But, I don't think voters will give them the satisfaction of going in on the first ballot.
In a way, Pete Rose has lessened their hopes too. The all time hits leader not in the Hall for a reason, makes it a lot easier to keep the supposed all time home run leader and one of the best pitchers out of the Hall a lot easier for the voters.

After all is said and done....
What kind of Hall of Fame do we have?
A Hall of Fame that excludes a .400 hitter.
A Hall of Fame that excludes the hits leader.
A Hall of Fame that excludes the home run leader and best pitchers.
It will soon be known for who is NOT in the Hall rather than who IS in the Hall.
Years from now, after I'm gone, I think all these players will be allowed into the Hall.
It all goes back to the wussification of America and not holding on to beliefs. Especially when it comes to punishing our heroes.

But for now, Clemens is throwing money at a problem that has already been solved.
He just doesn't know it yet.
On my tombstone-
Wait! I never had the perfect draft!

headhunters

Re: Roger's fighting the Law, And the Law Already Won

Post by headhunters » Wed May 09, 2012 1:11 pm

in the court of public opinion- misremembering can take the place of truth over time. andy pettite admitted using hgh- not steroids. he also said he remembered roger saying he used hgh. the trainer is saying hgh and steroids. the "rumor" is clemens tested positive in the not to be released but somewhat leaked test that all players took. pettite took hgh to heal. clemens took steroids and hgh because when the red sox let him go- he was an average pitcher and he couldn't stand that.