Expert League Auctions Set For Vegas

Fillmore Bats

Post by Fillmore Bats » Sat Jan 31, 2004 6:50 pm

Hi Greg-

I am wondering if you have ever heard of a fantasy league that gave players/owners a chance to incorporate a full minor league system and the first year player draft into the league?

I guess you would call this an experts league. That's why I'm asking you about this here.

I would like to see a league that would hold two auctions (AL and NL), then draft a full minor league system. Then in July, 30 days after MLB's First Year Player Draft, the league would hold it's own first year player draft during the All-Star break. I would love the chance to choose between Richie Weeks, Delmon Young, and Ryan Wagner last year, or Prior, Teixeira, and Mauer in 2001.

League winners and losers would be based on only the stats from their active big league roster's. But GM's would also have the challenge of building a minor league system of prospects, or trading them all away like the St. Louis Cardinals.

I think this league would separate the "real" experts from the pretenders. This wouldn't be something that 10,000 want to sign up for in the first year. But you would really identify some high-profile fans of player developement.

thanks for your time.

Dyv

Post by Dyv » Mon Feb 02, 2004 1:53 pm

Good luck with that... I usually don't even mess with a league that doesn't allow drafting 7th grade kids with potential.

I'm probably the best in the country at engineered births for baseball talent, too. I could tell a couple right now if their child has baseball skill or not - many won't even conceive without my blessing.

lol - just yanking your chain, Fillmore - you have more time than I do

Dave
Just Some Guy

Greg Ambrosius

Post by Greg Ambrosius » Mon Feb 02, 2004 3:33 pm

Fillmore, keeper leagues like that are great and I agree with you that they separate the novice from the baseball die-hards. I'm in an auction league like that called the XFL that was started by Ron Shandler and I admit that others knew the minor leagues much better than me last year. But it's a great league and it has forced me to scout deeper into the minors than I ever did before.

But creating a national contest like that would be impossible. We need to establish this one first and then shoot for the moon later. Thanks for the suggestion, however.

[ February 02, 2004, 09:34 PM: Message edited by: Greg Ambrosius ]
Greg Ambrosius
Founder, National Fantasy Baseball Championship
General Manager, Consumer Fantasy Games at SportsHub Technologies
Twitter - @GregAmbrosius