Pre-Mag Mock Draftl

headhunters

Pre-Mag Mock Draftl

Post by headhunters » Wed Dec 13, 2006 5:54 am

i guess i shouldn't get into this too much- because i will be drafting against some of you- but hey passing lunch hour. i don't get canu being drafted in the 5th. i love the guy- he looks to have great potential- but how does he put up great #'s batting 9th? he hit 340 last year with 482 abs. how many more ab's will he get- 75? he almost has to bat 9th- and i think if he moves to 8th it might hurt rather than help. plus- people seem to be saying canu is going to hit .340 again and freddie sanchez is going to drop to .270. it could happen- but why?

Edwards Kings

Pre-Mag Mock Draftl

Post by Edwards Kings » Wed Dec 13, 2006 5:58 am

Do you guys feel the same way about SS? The reason I ask is that on this mock draft, SS flew off in the first five rounds compared to 2B, but by the time we completed the first 10 rounds, it was almost even. In Rounds 11 through 15 and 16 through 20, more 2B eligable players were taken and both through 15 rounds and 20 rounds, overall more 2B eligable players were taken as a whole than SS eligable. Through 20 rounds, 23 2B eligable players were taken compared to only 17 SS eligable players (not including two players that were eligable for either SS or 2B). And it is not like the pool is much greater than the other. In 2006, 61 players had 20+ games played at 2B compared to 57 for SS.

There has been a lot of discussion about how thin 2B is, but in this draft, 2B has been preferable to SS when grabbing that MI position.
Baseball is a slow, boring, complex, cerebral game that doesn't lend itself to histrionics. You 'take in' a baseball game, something odd to say about a football or basketball game, with the clock running and the bodies flying.
Charles Krauthammer

DOUGHBOYS

Pre-Mag Mock Draftl

Post by DOUGHBOYS » Wed Dec 13, 2006 6:20 am

Is it SS's flying off the boards or speed?
On my tombstone-
Wait! I never had the perfect draft!

headhunters

Pre-Mag Mock Draftl

Post by headhunters » Wed Dec 13, 2006 6:27 am

my answer on ss (i did not draft lopez) is- for me- there are more perceived knowns- both good and bad with ss. like i said- with second base if you believe in sophmore slumps, age, and a history of injury- then there are many minefields. with shorts stops- as of now- there are 12 i wouldn't mind having and the rest can wait. i just bet the general consensus will be the same- get one of the 12 or wait with shortstops. with second base- with so many potential breakouts or undervalued guys- almost everyone will have their pet second basemen to take in rounds 5-10. take ugla and kent. if kent gets 525 abs and doesn't "get old" he could be a steal. if ugla doesn't regress- so could he. only takes 1 of 15 to like in rounds 5-10. with shortstops the first 12 are all young enough or have done enough to be on that list. my 2 cents

Edwards Kings

Pre-Mag Mock Draftl

Post by Edwards Kings » Wed Dec 13, 2006 6:47 am

Originally posted by DOUGHBOYS:

Is it SS's flying off the boards or speed? Looks like mainly speed picks. I took Reyes because of speed, and I think that is why Jeter (2nd) and Rollins (2nd) went so high (though both have strong supporting stats). Young also went in the second. Certainly Hanley Rameriz, Lopez, and Furcal fall into that category. The others were Guillen (20 SB last year I think), Hall, and Tejada.
Baseball is a slow, boring, complex, cerebral game that doesn't lend itself to histrionics. You 'take in' a baseball game, something odd to say about a football or basketball game, with the clock running and the bodies flying.
Charles Krauthammer

Vander

Pre-Mag Mock Draftl

Post by Vander » Wed Dec 13, 2006 7:36 am

Garza SP Min

DOUGHBOYS

Pre-Mag Mock Draftl

Post by DOUGHBOYS » Wed Dec 13, 2006 9:43 am

Dempster and Laird.
On my tombstone-

Vander

Pre-Mag Mock Draftl

Post by Vander » Wed Dec 13, 2006 9:48 am

Zaun C Tor and I'm done. Thanks again Dan for both starting this mock it was fun and informative as well as answering all the questions I've had for you.

Edwards Kings

Pre-Mag Mock Draftl

Post by Edwards Kings » Wed Dec 13, 2006 12:38 pm

Gil Meche, SP....
Charles Krauthammer

Edwards Kings

Pre-Mag Mock Draftl

Post by Edwards Kings » Thu Dec 14, 2006 12:29 am

Not bad for a first Mock...I hope to get involved in some at MDC soon if I can take a break from my seasonal domesticity (ho, ho, ho)!

If this team, net of ups and downs, would hit last years numbers (no guarantee for sure), offensively should do ok. Great BA (.285+), good speed, should put up enough AB to get close to 7,500 so R and RBI should do ok. HR is balanced, but gives me pause (i.e. Reyes will not hit 19 in '07, nor will Durham hit 26 and how may AB will I get out of Chipper). Going into the reserve rounds, I would be looking for a potential back-up power source or two to gamble on. OF a little weak.

Pitching is a little weaker. In the reserve rounds, I would need at least one other potential S source as well as a couple of steady starters. Not sure I would have picked Davis and Meche in the real deal, but the 22nd and 23rd rounds was not a bad place for them. I see this team as OK on K's (might hit that 1200 promise land) and WHIP (somewhere at 1.300 or south). ERA probably depends on Bush, Bonderman and Hamels showing growth (possible). If Davis came back to his historical levels (in ARI?) and El Duque likes Shea then there is upside.

What do you think?

Round Last First POS

1 Reyes Jose SS

2 Wells Vernon OF

3 Konerko Paul 1B

4 Putz JJ CL

5 Bonderman Jeremy SP

6 Ordonez Magglio OF

7 Jones Chipper 3B

8 Hamels Cole SP

9 Gonzalez Mike CL

10 Barrett Michael C

11 Pierzynski A.J. C

12 Bush David SP

13 Taveras Willy OF

14 Durham Ray 2B

15 Hernandez Orlando SP

16 Inge Brandon 3B

17 DeRosa Mark 2B, 3B, OF

18 Lopez Jose 2B

19 Encarnacion Juan OF

20 Robertson Nate SP

21 Hillenbrand Shea 1B, 3B

22 Davis Doug SP

23 Meche Gil SP
Charles Krauthammer

Don Mathis

Pre-Mag Mock Draftl

Post by Don Mathis » Thu Dec 14, 2006 12:42 am

There is a NFBC draft on MDC at 11 AM Saturday.

Dak

Pre-Mag Mock Draftl

Post by Dak » Thu Dec 14, 2006 1:07 am

23-4 Barajas, C

Dan and Kevin - great job! Good luck to all this yr.

Chest Rockwell

Pre-Mag Mock Draftl

Post by Chest Rockwell » Thu Dec 14, 2006 2:14 am

23:5 Ron Karkovice or any other B level catcher you can come up with from Benito Santiago to Brad Ausmus.

Enjoyed it guys-

KJ Duke

Pre-Mag Mock Draftl

Post by KJ Duke » Thu Dec 14, 2006 5:42 am

[ December 15, 2006, 01:26 AM: Message edited by: KJ Duke ]

DOUGHBOYS

Pre-Mag Mock Draftl

Post by DOUGHBOYS » Thu Dec 14, 2006 6:25 am

Great job on the updates, Kevin. Thanks.
On my tombstone-

GOD Loves You

Pre-Mag Mock Draftl

Post by GOD Loves You » Thu Dec 14, 2006 9:48 am

23:6 Kei Igawa...you never know.

GOD Loves You

Pre-Mag Mock Draftl

Post by GOD Loves You » Thu Dec 14, 2006 9:53 am

Anybody interested in seeing how this plays out? I know KJ is quite the stat man, but I plan to give a midseason update, to show how our teams are doing, as well as an end of season one. I understand with injuries, trades, call-ups, etc... it won't really mean anything, but it will be interesting to see how each team fares. Any odds on the favorite? Least favorite?

headhunters

Pre-Mag Mock Draftl

Post by headhunters » Thu Dec 14, 2006 10:21 am

matt morris. no problem playing it out- but hard to take anything away from it. i have already lost a closer. i will post my team and people can evaluate it. wanted to see how much hitting i could get with santana as 1st pick. won't win any hitting categories- except maybe runs. but i will be up there in all 5. could finish last in saves, but top 3 in all other pitching categories. mike

Tradesman Kettleers

Pre-Mag Mock Draftl

Post by Tradesman Kettleers » Thu Dec 14, 2006 11:19 am

If Brad Vo doesn't take him, then you can Plug in Khalil Greene (MI) for me at 23-9. I'm going to supper now. I'd also like to put forth my thanks to KJ for his stellar efforts in the Corresponding Secretary's duties, Thanx again, KJ!! I don't know about others, but I was using this draft more as a learning tool than a competitive exercise. Sure, I'd be curious to see how it all works out, but I've learned alot taking part and Thanx! to all the participants. So, my primary goal has already been met!

Vander

Pre-Mag Mock Draftl

Post by Vander » Thu Dec 14, 2006 1:00 pm

Agreed with TK. Would chance some stuff if I could. I wouldn't mind seeing how it turns out though. Just for fun. Chest, I graded your team from last night. When I have a chance I can give you a more detail opinion if you want.

GOD Loves You

Pre-Mag Mock Draftl

Post by GOD Loves You » Thu Dec 14, 2006 1:09 pm

I realize the results won't say anything, but it will be interesting/fun to look back midseason and at the end to see how each team fared. Can't wait to see my Wigginton pick in the 11th prove to be the steal of the mock.

Vander

Pre-Mag Mock Draftl

Post by Vander » Thu Dec 14, 2006 1:41 pm

By the way I see why your so anxious to play this out. I think you have a good team. Yes. even Wiggington. You can have him later though. As a later pick I like him. By the way being in Tampa, what does it look like as far as playing time for him. Gomes at dh, or until he loses the job. Japanese guy at 3b. Cantu at 2nd. Outfield looking full or until a trade happens. And the Devil Ray website has Norton at 1b. Will Wig play some of all or mostly 1b, or spend a lot of time on the bench. What's the Tampa take?

King of Queens

Pre-Mag Mock Draftl

Post by King of Queens » Thu Dec 14, 2006 1:50 pm

Originally posted by GOD Loves You:

Can't wait to see my Wigginton pick in the 11th prove to be the steal of the mock. Not that it really means anything, but he went in the 19th round last night. :eek:

GOD Loves You

Pre-Mag Mock Draftl

Post by GOD Loves You » Thu Dec 14, 2006 2:43 pm

Originally posted by King of Queens:

quote:Originally posted by GOD Loves You:

Can't wait to see my Wigginton pick in the 11th prove to be the steal of the mock. Not that it really means anything, but he went in the 19th round last night. :eek: [/QUOTE]Glen, I was joking due to the razzing I took for selecting him so early. He was a $1 bargain that extremely helped my team last year so I have some loyalty towards him. Plus he's a D-ray and has nice multiple position eligibilty. I now know I can wait for a long time to take him come spring.

GOD Loves You

Pre-Mag Mock Draftl

Post by GOD Loves You » Thu Dec 14, 2006 2:59 pm

Originally posted by Vander:

By the way I see why your so anxious to play this out. I think you have a good team. Yes. even Wiggington. You can have him later though. As a later pick I like him. By the way being in Tampa, what does it look like as far as playing time for him. Gomes at dh, or until he loses the job. Japanese guy at 3b. Cantu at 2nd. Outfield looking full or until a trade happens. And the Devil Ray website has Norton at 1b. Will Wig play some of all or mostly 1b, or spend a lot of time on the bench. What's the Tampa take? Well the club decided against bringing Hollins back so that's one less spot in the outfield. Would guess Dukes will have a chance come spring, but he needs to mature and realize he's gonna run out of 2nd/3rd chances in the league. Iwamura is close to signing so he will probably be the third baseman. Zobrist sucks offensively, same with Perez, so unless Upton moves to the outfield, which is highly unlikely due to the logjam, he will probably be the SS. If Upton does play SS, it could be a nightmare for the pitchers and the team. Gomes has to DH as he's a liability in the field as well. Norton will probably share DH with Gomes while splitting time with Wigginton at 1st. Maddon loves Wigginton, so he's gonna play most days.

I forsee a trade coming sometime. I was ecstatic when they traded Huff last season and will feel the same if Baldelli is traded. He received basically the same contract as Crawford, yet he can't stay healthy. CC wasn't to happy about this and let the St.Pete Times know about it. I just don't see the talent everybody else sees with Rocco. We have to trade someone to get some pitchers down here. There's some decent potential in the minors, but potential is the key word. Throw in Guzman and eventually Longoria and you have an abundance of offensive talent, but only so many can play, so what do you do??? Like I said before, I really hope the new management does something to make progress down here. You know something is wrong with a team when they break out the champagne for winning 70 games. :rolleyes: