Think Spring!

Geoffrey Stein

Think Spring!

Post by Geoffrey Stein » Mon Jan 18, 2010 5:14 am

After four pretty boring NFL games this weekend and a weather forecast that gives me no hope for a tan, I'm thinking Spring, and that means one thing -- baseball!

I've been going through the slow draft results this morning, and quite a few things have caught my eye. Such as...

...the two biggest first-round wild cards are unquestionably Minnesota Twins catcher Joe Mauer and San Francisco Giants pitcher Tim Lincecum.

There's a very good chance that one of the two will go within the first 15 selections, and it hasn't been rare to see both as first-round picks.

Needless to say, all bets are off in drafts that have a catcher and a pitcher drafted in the first-round.

...are Gordon Beckham of the Chicago White Sox and Ian Stewart of the Colorado Rockies being drafted as third basemen or second basemen?

In years past, the answer to this question would've been simple -- put them at second base and enjoy the power numbers that most at the position won't match.

An extremely thin third base crop has made that decision much tougher this year, however, and based upon some of the results I'm seeing, it looks as if many are penciling in Beckham and Stewart at the hot corner.

...my prediction for player who will make the biggest jump up draft boards between now and late-March -- Texas Rangers shortstop Elvis Andrus.

In current drafts, Andrus is on the verge of being selected in the single-digit rounds, and I don't think it would shock anyone to see him as a sixth- or seventh-round selection come the Main Event.

Also keep an eye on fellow speedy shortstop Everth Cabrera of the San Diego Padres, who is making a move up cheat sheets, as well.

...one year ago, there was no hotter name in the slow drafts than Rangers third baseman Chris Davis.

We all know how that worked out for those who drafted him in the fourth- or fifth-round, but it's hard not to like Davis' potential at his current teen-round draft levels.

After hitting .318-5-21 in 110 September and October at-bats, Davis has the potential to be a huge steal for those willing to take a chance.

...the Rangers gave the Fantasy Baseball world a late Christmas gift by signing outfielder Vladimir Guerrero.

The move has received a warm reception from the slow drafters, as Guerrero has jumped back into the single-digit rounds after spending most of his time as a free agent in the teen rounds.

Can we just all agree right now that our Extra Innings package is going to be tuned into the Rangers quite a bit this year?

I'll dive into more later, but I thought this would be a good way to wet the baseball appetite some.

If anyone has specific questions on the Average Draft Position of certain players, post here, and I'll respond with a sample size of where they've gone in some of the slow drafts.

Thanks, guys.

[ January 18, 2010, 11:16 AM: Message edited by: Geoffrey Stein ]
Geoffrey Stein - (No Longer)Senior Editor, Fanball.com (R.I.P.)
[email protected]
AIM: gstein729

sportsbettingman

Think Spring!

Post by sportsbettingman » Mon Jan 18, 2010 6:31 am

Good stuff, Geoff!

I had a very slightly related question...

I was very frustrated with the MLB extra innings (online version) for blacking out all Giants and A's games.

Could I sign up and give them some area of the country that has no team, and get around this silly and outdated blackout rule?

Has anyone tried that?
"The only reason for time is so that everything doesn't happen at once."

~Albert Einstein

Catch

Think Spring!

Post by Catch » Mon Jan 18, 2010 6:40 am

Geoff, glad you joined the Fanball family.

Since you brought up speedsters @ the shortstop position...how about the OF speedsters (NMorgan, RDavis, JBorbon, JPierre and etc) and their ADPs.

Geoffrey Stein

Think Spring!

Post by Geoffrey Stein » Mon Jan 18, 2010 6:46 am

Originally posted by sportsbettingman:

Good stuff, Geoff!

I had a very slightly related question...

I was very frustrated with the MLB extra innings (online version) for blacking out all Giants and A's games.

Could I sign up and give them some area of the country that has no team, and get around this silly and outdated blackout rule?

Has anyone tried that? Lance,

That was possible up until last year, but unfortunately, MLB.com upgraded their system to read your local IP address, not the address provided like the previous seasons.

I'm not sure if there's a way around that, but if there is, it is a lot more difficult.
[email protected]

Geoffrey Stein

Think Spring!

Post by Geoffrey Stein » Mon Jan 18, 2010 6:48 am

Originally posted by Catch:

Since you brought up speedsters @ the shortstop position...how about the OF speedsters (NMorgan, RDavis, JBorbon, JPierre and etc) and their ADPs. I am on my phone at the gym -- I will get you the info for these guys when I get home.

Thanks much.
[email protected]

Geoffrey Stein

Think Spring!

Post by Geoffrey Stein » Mon Jan 18, 2010 9:37 am

Originally posted by Catch:

Since you brought up speedsters @ the shortstop position...how about the OF speedsters (NMorgan, RDavis, JBorbon, JPierre and etc) and their ADPs. OK, some random samples....

Morgan: 10.12, 11.15, 11.3

Davis: 12.5, 10.7, 11.3

Borbon: 11.11, 12.8, 11.1

Pierre: 9.7, 6.2, 10.4

It appears that Pierre is the mid-tier speedster of choice. Would you agree with that?
[email protected]

Catch

Think Spring!

Post by Catch » Mon Jan 18, 2010 10:19 am

I stand by my selection of NMorgan as the headliner of this quartet. The first mock draft by NFBC participants took place in October with the results in another forum, topic 2010 MOCK (40 pages).

It appears I reached for NMorgan with 8.5 selection.

RDavis selected 11.8

JBorbon selected 12.10

JPierre selected 19.5 (before trade to White Sox)

Edwards Kings

Think Spring!

Post by Edwards Kings » Mon Jan 18, 2010 12:10 pm

Where is Carey Grant when you need him...

"Judy, Judy, Judy..." (though he really didn't say that).

Those three-trick ponies (SB, BA, R) can make you dig a whole in your power categories fast. Makes Crawford look awfully smart early on.

BTW, Greg had posted earlier (I think) that SB would be a sparce commodity this year? Greg, anyone, feel that way now?

Geoff, where are the closer runs happening in the Slow Drafts?
Baseball is a slow, boring, complex, cerebral game that doesn't lend itself to histrionics. You 'take in' a baseball game, something odd to say about a football or basketball game, with the clock running and the bodies flying.
Charles Krauthammer

Geoffrey Stein

Think Spring!

Post by Geoffrey Stein » Mon Jan 18, 2010 1:00 pm

Originally posted by Edwards Kings:

Those three-trick ponies (SB, BA, R) can make you dig a whole in your power categories fast. Makes Crawford look awfully smart early on.

BTW, Greg had posted earlier (I think) that SB would be a sparce commodity this year? Greg, anyone, feel that way now?

Geoff, where are the closer runs happening in the Slow Drafts? The early trends show three tiers of closer runs.

Tier 1 usually kicks off sometime in Round 5 with the studs: Broxton, Papelbon, Rivera, Nathan, Soria and Bell. I wouldn't count on seeing any of these door-slammers come the middle of the seventh-round.

Tier 2 is the largest grouping, starting in Round 9 with the likes of Wilson, Aardsma, Marmol, Cordero, Wagner, Street, Fuentes, Valverde, Jenks, Hoffman and Gonzalez. If you can land any of the aforementioned closers in Round 12 or later, consider yourself lucky.

Tier 3 lasts from Round 12 until the middle of Round 16 and features the less sexy names such as Wood, Qualls, Capps, Nunez, Franklin, Lyon and Frasor. I'm sure this tier will add names when some foggy situations begin to clear some.

Round 16 looks like the cutoff for drafting a sure Opening Day closer.
[email protected]

Geoffrey Stein

Think Spring!

Post by Geoffrey Stein » Mon Jan 18, 2010 3:26 pm

Originally posted by Geoffrey Stein:

quote:Originally posted by Edwards Kings:

Geoff, where are the closer runs happening in the Slow Drafts? The early trends show three tiers of closer runs.

Tier 1 usually kicks off sometime in Round 5 with the studs: Broxton, Papelbon, Rivera, Nathan, Rodriguez, Soria and Bell. I wouldn't count on seeing any of these door-slammers come the middle of the seventh-round.

Tier 2 is the largest grouping, starting in Round 9 with the likes of Wilson, Aardsma, Marmol, Cordero, Wagner, Street, Fuentes, Valverde, Jenks, Hoffman and Gonzalez. If you can land any of the aforementioned closers in Round 12 or later, consider yourself lucky.

Tier 3 lasts from Round 12 until the middle of Round 16 and features the less sexy names such as Wood, Qualls, Capps, Nunez, Franklin, Lyon and Frasor. I'm sure this tier will add names when some foggy situations begin to clear some.

Round 16 looks like the cutoff for drafting a sure Opening Day closer.

[/QUOTE]Add K-Rod to the top tier.

[ January 18, 2010, 09:27 PM: Message edited by: Geoffrey Stein ]
[email protected]

Snord35

Think Spring!

Post by Snord35 » Mon Jan 18, 2010 4:53 pm

How are some of the top drafted SP's of 09 that had down seasons doing?

(Santana, Hamels, Webb, Peavy, Liriano, Billingsley)

Geoffrey Stein

Think Spring!

Post by Geoffrey Stein » Tue Jan 19, 2010 2:39 am

Originally posted by Snord35:

How are some of the top drafted SP's of 09 that had down seasons doing?

(Santana, Hamels, Webb, Peavy, Liriano, Billingsley) More random numbers....

Santana: 4.12, 3.7, 4.1

Hamels: 7.6, 6.14, 6.15

Webb: 9.7, 10.5, 8.8

Peavy: 6.4, 5.11, 6.14

Liriano: 16.2, 16.14. 16.6

Billingsley: 7.8, 8.5, 8.5

Liriano has seen the biggest jump as of late. The positive news about how he is throwing in Winter ball has knocked a few rounds off his Average Draft Position.
[email protected]

Chest Rockwell

Think Spring!

Post by Chest Rockwell » Tue Jan 19, 2010 3:03 am

How about the 2nd tier of catchers?

Soto

Martin

AJP

Y Molina

B Molina

Suzuki

Montero

Posada

Geoffrey Stein

Think Spring!

Post by Geoffrey Stein » Tue Jan 19, 2010 3:18 am

Originally posted by Chest Rockwell:

How about the 2nd tier of catchers?

Soto

Martin

AJP

Y Molina

B Molina

Suzuki

Montero

Posada Soto: 10.6, 12.3, 9.13,

Martin: 11.14, 10.3, 10.9

Pierzynski: 15.2, 13.10, 14.13

Y. Molina: 16.5, 16.1, 13.1

B. Molina: 12.13, 14.7, 11.13

Suzuki: 9.6, 8.3, 10.4

Montero: 8.12, 10.8, 8.9

Posada: 10.1, 8.12, 10.14

Just a note that the results are mixed up. The first column aren't all from the same draft ... and so on. These are exact spots where they've been drafted, however.
[email protected]

Hoosier

Think Spring!

Post by Hoosier » Tue Jan 19, 2010 7:09 am

Geoff,

Excellent stuff. Appreciate you running this post. How about the following Sandoval, Beckham, Zobrist, KMorales, A Gonzalez, and Tulo

Thanks,

Hoosier

Geoffrey Stein

Think Spring!

Post by Geoffrey Stein » Tue Jan 19, 2010 7:20 am

Originally posted by Hoosier:

Geoff,

Excellent stuff. Appreciate you running this post. How about the following Sandoval, Beckham, Zobrist, KMorales, A Gonzalez, and Tulo

Thanks,

Hoosier Sandoval: 3.4, 3.12, 3.1

Beckham: 8.4, 5.12, 7.9

Zobrist: 4.8, 3.12, 3.12

Morales: 4.4, 4.4, 4.10

Gonzalez: 2.9, 2.4, 2.11

Tulowitzki: 1.15, 2.1, 1.9

Some interesting names and numbers here.
[email protected]

DOUGHBOYS

Think Spring!

Post by DOUGHBOYS » Tue Jan 19, 2010 9:16 am

Geoff, who are some of the players that have been all over the board?
On my tombstone-
Wait! I never had the perfect draft!

Geoffrey Stein

Think Spring!

Post by Geoffrey Stein » Tue Jan 19, 2010 10:18 am

Originally posted by DOUGHBOYS:

Geoff, who are some of the players that have been all over the board? Chris Carpenter: 6.1, 4.15, 6.14

Brett Anderson: 10.13, 8.4, 10.12

Howie Kendrick: 7.2, 11.7, 10.7

Ryan Franklin: 14.9, 12.5, 9.15

Wandy Rodriguez: 7.6, 8.14, 10.11

At first glance, it appears that most of the "all over the board" guys are pitchers.
[email protected]

Hoosier

Think Spring!

Post by Hoosier » Tue Jan 19, 2010 1:54 pm

Geoff,

Great info, appreciate it how about some "fallen" stars:

A Soriano

L Berkman

C Delgado

A Rios

B Webb

R Furcal

V Guerrero

Thanks,

Hoosier

Geoffrey Stein

Think Spring!

Post by Geoffrey Stein » Tue Jan 19, 2010 2:17 pm

Originally posted by Hoosier:

Geoff,

Great info, appreciate it how about some "fallen" stars:

A Soriano

L Berkman

C Delgado

A Rios

B Webb

R Furcal

V Guerrero

Thanks,

Hoosier Soriano: 8.1, 8.5, 9.2

Berkman: 4.12, 4.8, 3.14

Delgado: 21.15, 22.5, 17.14

Rios: 8.11, 7.7, 8.2

Webb: 9.7, 10.5, 8.8

Furcal: 11.15, 12.6, 13.11

Guerrero: 11.2, 14.15, 9.3

Looks to be some possible value here.

[ January 19, 2010, 08:18 PM: Message edited by: Geoffrey Stein ]
[email protected]