pitching

crazytown

pitching

Post by crazytown » Fri Dec 18, 2009 9:53 am

I once again tried an "alternate strategy" in the most recent slow draft. I went in with the aim to dominate pitching. I would like your feedback on my staff. I will not put all of my pitchers right now, mostly because there are so many.

Assuming all things are equal and the other participants drafted normal squads, how does this staff match up. Maybe an estimate in points out of 75 that you could see this team racking up.

Thanks for the input and here's the projected starting 9

Sabathia

Haren

Lester

Lilly

Blanton

Kuroda

Papelbon

Wilson

Aardsma.

Vander

pitching

Post by Vander » Fri Dec 18, 2009 10:31 am

It's a very nice staff and you should do well barring injury which is one reason to avoid pitching early. All seem destined for the dl sooner or later. You just hope it's not your guys this year. You haven't taken injury prone guys which is a big positive though Lilly won't be ready till May and that adds some risk to him. On to the obvious, If you took all those nice pitchers early how do you expect to compete on offense? Let's say you do very very well in all pitching departments, but do very very poorly in batting, doesn't that destin you to a very mediocre non money year? What am I missing? Unless you figure you can find great offensive sleepers late. Usually it's decent pitching that can be found late not hitters. The usual suspects of hitting go early. Great pitchers taken later in recent years include E. Santana, C. Lee, etc.

DOUGHBOYS

pitching

Post by DOUGHBOYS » Fri Dec 18, 2009 10:47 am

Who is your 4th best hitter?
On my tombstone-
Wait! I never had the perfect draft!

crazytown

pitching

Post by crazytown » Fri Dec 18, 2009 11:54 am

I can max out at 108 points. That is it. However in this league I only have to come in 3rd as 1st thru 3rd are the same prize. Free entry in to 2011.

I will hopefully win the SB category although it is not a given. My batting avg. will also be questionable. I think I can get to the mid to high 90's in points. Will that be enough. I need the others to draft evenly and not have too many really good teams. The more even the league, the better chance I have. There are some good owners and they all can't do well.

SOme of my other pitchers in case of injury are:Zumaya, Rodney, Ian Kennedy, Smoltz, Pedro, Westbrook, Kelvim E., Strassburg, Chris Perez and a bunch of middle relievers that did well last year.

Pierre going to Chi and getting at bats helps my SB potential. Others include:Crisp,Tavares, Podsednik, Castillo, Bonafacio, Ichiro, Ellsbury, Winn, Bloomquist, Kaz Matsui. I also have Chipper. Hopefully he hits well and gets some decent AB totals to get a AVG up a little.

Quahogs

pitching

Post by Quahogs » Fri Dec 18, 2009 12:47 pm

Originally posted by crazytown.gov:

I can max out at 108 points. That is it. However in this league I only have to come in 3rd as 1st thru 3rd are the same prize. Free entry in to 2011.

I will hopefully win the SB category although it is not a given. My batting avg. will also be questionable. I think I can get to the mid to high 90's in points. Will that be enough. I need the others to draft evenly and not have too many really good teams. The more even the league, the better chance I have. There are some good owners and they all can't do well.

SOme of my other pitchers in case of injury are:Zumaya, Rodney, Ian Kennedy, Smoltz, Pedro, Westbrook, Kelvim E., Strassburg, Chris Perez and a bunch of middle relievers that did well last year.

Pierre going to Chi and getting at bats helps my SB potential. Others include:Crisp,Tavares, Podsednik, Castillo, Bonafacio, Ichiro, Ellsbury, Winn, Bloomquist, Kaz Matsui. I also have Chipper. Hopefully he hits well and gets some decent AB totals to get a AVG up a little. your alternate strategy tossed some good players onto the other teams which normally wouldn't have been the case. It's a real solid league so they were snapped up evenly. I dont think upper 90's does it. I was in a $325 last season - 115.5 was 3rd.

[ December 18, 2009, 06:50 PM: Message edited by: Quahogs ]

Vander

pitching

Post by Vander » Fri Dec 18, 2009 1:38 pm

I see what you were doing and it's a thought, but I still don't like the strategy. You could get over 100 which may or may not be good enough. As Q said in the prior post it all depends I too had 115.5 in the main last year and was lucky to finish 3rd. I've yet to see an "alternate" strategy that is better than drafting a balanced team.

DOUGHBOYS

pitching

Post by DOUGHBOYS » Fri Dec 18, 2009 2:45 pm

These types of things are tried, but seldom work. The funny thing is that the totals you count on, in your case pitching, has something go awry and you don't get the numbers that look good on paper before the season.

In actuality, aren't you just punting home runs and rbi and hoping for the best on avg and runs, while hoping for domination of the other categories? I've never liked the idea of giving up 15 or 30 points before any game starts.

Just my thoughts.
On my tombstone-
Wait! I never had the perfect draft!

crazytown

pitching

Post by crazytown » Fri Dec 18, 2009 4:17 pm

I agree it is difficult for this strategy to work but I figured with the top 3 getting evenly paid, this would be the league to try it in. Last year it seems 3rd place had 115. That means that the teams were not evenly drafted. I need every team to be similar which usually doesn't happen. There are some good owners in this league. That means some of the good owners are going to finish out of the money. When teams fall apart and decided to quit, that hurts my chances because I have a maximum points total that other owners don't.

Take a look at my pitching again. I know that without seeing the other teams rosters it's hard to make a guess, but we all have predictions for these guys. Using those numbers, I see myself doing well in the P categories. Out of 75 how many would you predict I get, give or take. Is it 60, 70,50 just wondering others thoughts.

By the way, I have tried this strategy 2 other times in the NFBC. Failed once, came in 3rd once. I like it more in 30 man rosters with transactions because I believe I am not as good as others with the free agent wire and therefore trying this strategy narrows my weekly FA pool quite a bit because I only have to concentrate on certain positions.

Schwks

pitching

Post by Schwks » Sun Dec 20, 2009 7:33 am

I like the thought of trying a new strategy and even zigging when everyone else is zagging. You have three ultra solid closers, plus a few closers in waiting(Rodney, Perez). Your top three SPs are top 25. I like Lilly but guys coming off of shoulder surgery are very risky (see John Maine, Pedro etc). After that you have middling types in Blanton, Kuroda. Id say if you wanted to run up this strategy, you need another top 30 sp and tehn a another top 60 sp to add to your top 3. If Lilly is Lilly and Strass contributes a la Hanson, you could pull it off. Thanks for sharing and good luck.
schwanks.blogspot.com
Little Bits mostly non-related to fantasy sports...alright maybe a little