Not a Chip off the Old Block

DOUGHBOYS

Post by DOUGHBOYS » Wed Oct 21, 2009 2:46 am

I loved Harry Carey. He reminds me of Walla Walla. You never know what you'll get from day to day. Everything he did was gold. If the game was boring or miserable, he didn't hide that he was bored and miserable as well, which entertained us as well. Truly, one of a kind.

Skip, his son, worked for Ted Turner virtually his whole life, doing Braves games when they were the only nationwide MLB broadcasts. Skip had his own style as well. Quips came easy for him. He seemed to truly enjoy what he did for a living and it came across to all his viewers.

Chip, the grandson did not follow in either's footsteps. Chip is the epitome of the modern day play by play announcer. Vanilla. Brutally vanilla.

If I want a nap, Chip Carey is the guy I want in the background. He is the perfect guy for our politically correct society. He will not offend a soul.

For some reason, TBS selected Carey to be the play by play guy for their playoffs. Probably in loyalty for him covering the Braves on a sister network.

Carey has missed many calls during the playoffs, but most fans don't realize it, since he had them dozing in their chairs.

I can take the missed calls, heck, they happen to everybody. But Carey phones in his work. He has hardly anything new to add and doesen't seem like he even goes on the field to talk to the fellas he describes. Please, Chip, just listen to Vin Scully one broadcast. After listening to a Scully game, I come away positive that Scully talks with players non stop and can't wait to share the information with his viewers.

Shame on TBS. This is the Playoffs and if new viewers thought they would find baseball boring, Carey has improved their argument.

The next time TBS has the playoffs, put loyalty on the back burner and find something that is soooo missing from their games, personality.
On my tombstone-
Wait! I never had the perfect draft!

Raskol

Post by Raskol » Wed Oct 21, 2009 4:35 am

Originally posted by DOUGHBOYS:

I loved Harry Carey. He reminds me of Walla Walla. You never know what you'll get from day to day. Everything he did was gold. If the game was boring or miserable, he didn't hide that he was bored and miserable as well, which entertained us as well. Truly, one of a kind.

Skip, his son, worked for Ted Turner virtually his whole life, doing Braves games when they were the only nationwide MLB broadcasts. Skip had his own style as well. Quips came easy for him. He seemed to truly enjoy what he did for a living and it came across to all his viewers.

Chip, the grandson did not follow in either's footsteps. Chip is the epitome of the modern day play by play announcer. Vanilla. Brutally vanilla.

If I want a nap, Chip Carey is the guy I want in the background. He is the perfect guy for our politically correct society. He will not offend a soul.

For some reason, TBS selected Carey to be the play by play guy for their playoffs. Probably in loyalty for him covering the Braves on a sister network.

Carey has missed many calls during the playoffs, but most fans don't realize it, since he had them dozing in their chairs.

I can take the missed calls, heck, they happen to everybody. But Carey phones in his work. He has hardly anything new to add and doesen't seem like he even goes on the field to talk to the fellas he describes. Please, Chip, just listen to Vin Scully one broadcast. After listening to a Scully game, I come away positive that Scully talks with players non stop and can't wait to share the information with his viewers.

Shame on TBS. This is the Playoffs and if new viewers thought they would find baseball boring, Carey has improved their argument.

The next time TBS has the playoffs, put loyalty on the back burner and find something that is soooo missing from their games, personality. Amen, brother. I've resorted to listening to the radio broadcasts instead of the insipid TV announcers.

If every announcer had Vin's knowledge & energy....well, baseball would be a year-round sport. Then what would we do?
If you're going to be crazy, you have to get paid for it or else you're going to be locked up.--Hunter S. Thompson

Vander

Post by Vander » Wed Oct 21, 2009 3:18 pm

Buck Martinez is the guy that aggravates me the most in those telecasts. Supposed to be knowledgable, but misses the obvious. All are still better than listening to Buck and McCarver though.

Schwks

Post by Schwks » Thu Oct 22, 2009 5:59 am

I agree and when McCarver first started doing commentary, I really enjoyed his take. I feel like he is becoming more and more removed from the game.

As a Met fan, I listen to Darling a lot (and literally bumped into him coming out of subway last week). I generally think he is intelligent, insightful and brings some enjoyment to the game. Maybe it is his pairing, but I have not even thought much of the job he has done.

Overall all 6 series have been tough to watch. As an added problem, not even one series has proven to be anything but a lopsided mismatch.

In the play-in game Minn-Detroit, Raburn went for a diving catch in left field with game tied in 8th inning and no outs. He does not even come close and the Minn player (Punto?) winds up with a triple.

Darling's call is " maybe in that situation you let that ball fall for a single" and then he does not address the error again. MAYBE!!!??? That was a season breaking play for the Tigers.
schwanks.blogspot.com
Little Bits mostly non-related to fantasy sports...alright maybe a little