Change is Auctions?

Head 2 Head

Change is Auctions?

Post by Head 2 Head » Sun Jan 30, 2011 1:54 am

Add $7 to the auction bidding pool per team and require them to purchase 30 players.

Instead of $260 for a twenty-three man full roster and seven rounds of snake draft.
"However beautiful the strategy, you should occasionally look at the results." - Winston Churchill

Jim Christie

Change is Auctions?

Post by Jim Christie » Mon Jan 31, 2011 4:03 am

Personally, that idea blows
"Your actions speak so loud, I can't hear a word you're saying."

The Mighty Men

Change is Auctions?

Post by The Mighty Men » Mon Jan 31, 2011 6:05 am

It isn't THAT bad. We used that last year in NFBC style auctions and it worked out fine.
Who is this, robed in splendor, striding forward in the greatness of his strength? “It is I, proclaiming victory, mighty to save.” Isaiah 63:1

Bama

Change is Auctions?

Post by Bama » Mon Jan 31, 2011 6:45 am

Originally posted by Jim Christie:

Personally, that idea blows Yeah I hate this idea too for a number of reasons. I wish people would try and change the things that are broke and quit messing with the stuff that is'nt.

Spyhunter

Change is Auctions?

Post by Spyhunter » Mon Jan 31, 2011 3:42 pm

Personally, that idea blows why exactly does it blow? auctions should be auctions imho

Jim Christie

Change is Auctions?

Post by Jim Christie » Mon Jan 31, 2011 10:48 pm

Originally posted by Spyhunter:

quote:Originally posted by Jim Christie:

Personally, that idea blows why exactly does it blow? auctions should be auctions imho [/QUOTE]So, how many auctions have you participated in where those are the rules? Use your $260 to fill out your team and reserve draft to fill out your bench. You can find some bargains in the reserve round. Not saying you can't find bargains auctioning but come on, like Ken said, why fix something that is not broken. Lets look to change the rules 7 weeks before the first auction. Give me a break!
"Your actions speak so loud, I can't hear a word you're saying."

The Mighty Men

Change is Auctions?

Post by The Mighty Men » Tue Feb 01, 2011 2:38 am

quote:Originally posted by Spyhunter:

quote:Originally posted by Jim Christie:

Personally, that idea blows why exactly does it blow? auctions should be auctions imho [/QUOTE]So, how many auctions have you participated in where those are the rules? Use your $260 to fill out your team and reserve draft to fill out your bench. You can find some bargains in the reserve round. Not saying you can't find bargains auctioning but come on, like Ken said, why fix something that is not broken. Lets look to change the rules 7 weeks before the first auction. Give me a break!
[/QUOTE]Your point about changing auctions this late in the game is valid.

I know Spyhunter has done at least 1-2 auctions with me when all players are auctioned off. It works fine. In fact, I never heard of a snake draft to finish an auction until joining NFBC. That is also how all football auctions are done.

The point is, it is a valid question. Some people might not like it, which is fine. Some people like to spread their depth over 30 picks.

[ February 01, 2011, 08:38 AM: Message edited by: The Mighty Men ]
Who is this, robed in splendor, striding forward in the greatness of his strength? “It is I, proclaiming victory, mighty to save.” Isaiah 63:1

Sack

Change is Auctions?

Post by Sack » Tue Feb 01, 2011 6:55 am

While this idea sounds valid in that it SHOULD reward the person smart enough to ration out the dollars for the end game, it is my experience that the opposite actually takes place. Usually one or two players hoard the money and end up with way to much in the end game. Why reward them? As you prepare for the final 7 rounds, each time you want to bring up your "sleeper" one of these players that mishandled the auction dollars will jump on your sleeper.

I like using the $260 in draft and then using the Reserve Round to fill out the rosters serpentine.

MIGHTY MEN.....sorry I didn't have a chance to reply to your note. Thanks for consideration.

[ February 01, 2011, 12:56 PM: Message edited by: Sack ]

Spyhunter

Change is Auctions?

Post by Spyhunter » Thu Feb 10, 2011 4:05 pm

Yes, I have done this type of extended auction with Mighty Men and it worked fine. It forces some real end-game strategy imho. I guess we all have different experiences but I personally like maximizing strategy and minimizing pure change (which your position in a snake draft is)