Warning to Balticsquids---You might not want to read this post.

superpion

Post by superpion » Sat Apr 24, 2004 12:40 am

Are we going to stick with only 2 decimal places on all of the ratios? I saw this question posed in the first week of the season but I never a definitive response. In rotisserie style leagues that are comprised of only 12-14 people, I am accustomed to all of the ratios going out 4 decimal places. The importance of this would only seem to be magnified by having rotisserie scoring with 195 participants. If my WHIP is 1.2746 and some other guys WHIP is 1.2703 over the course of the season, I believe that he should get more points than me and I'm guessing that type of gap would probably bridge over 4-5 guys at least. Those extra points could really make a difference in the overall standings and 3 out of the 10 categories are affected by this.

Is it just an issue of telling STATS to change their computer setting to 4 decimal places OR is NFBC planning on sticking with 2 decimal places and if so, could some rationale please be offered up?

Also, if some other people could weigh in on this and give your opinions, that would be appreciated (even if you disagree with me...haha).

On a side note, I am enjoying the NFBC competition very much and I think that Greg is doing a good job with the challenge of running it.

If I've irked your Balticsquids, then that is too bad because not only did the subject heading warn you but I also went on to ask the NFBC a question in the "Ask the NFBC a question message board". Go figure.

Balticsquids

Post by Balticsquids » Sat Apr 24, 2004 2:00 am

Get a Life

Cellar Dwellers

Post by Cellar Dwellers » Sat Apr 24, 2004 9:31 am

Superpion-It's a no-brainer, they have to go to 4 decimal spaces. I agree with you.

nnoy

Post by nnoy » Sat Apr 24, 2004 1:04 pm

They obviously already calculate the stats to the last digit, they simply do not show it that way. Why else would teams with the same average, whip, and era be receiving different roto-points?

[ April 24, 2004, 07:15 PM: Message edited by: nnoy ]

Greg Ambrosius

Post by Greg Ambrosius » Sun Apr 25, 2004 3:48 am

Each category is being calculated out as far as possible to award the right number of points for the teams who are ahead. If it helps, we will see if we can show three digits out instead of two, but the stats have always been calculated out as far as possible. In the early going, there likely were ties in categories as the number of at-bats and innings pitched were minimal. Going forward, it will be tough to have exact ties in those categories. Hope this helps.
Greg Ambrosius
Founder, National Fantasy Baseball Championship
General Manager, Consumer Fantasy Games at SportsHub Technologies
Twitter - @GregAmbrosius