Sunset, Sandy, and Scully

DOUGHBOYS

Post by DOUGHBOYS » Fri Jul 30, 2010 4:20 am

I'm proud of my second grade report card. Infuriated then, my mom will now show it to anybody that cares to see it now.

It isn't because of stellar grades. In fact, just the opposite. On the bottom of that report card, my teacher wrote in the 'comments' section, "Danny has a lot of potential, but it is hard to teach him. He suffers from baseballitis."

While other kids have memories of birthdays, Christmas, and other such highlights of kidsdom, I recollect certain broadcasts of Giants games and keeping up with stats of all players through box scores and the big Sunday newspaper.

Although a Giants fan, it was another radio broadcast on September 9, 1965 that gave me my fondest memory. The Giants had played earlier in the day. After the sun would go down though, we could catch radio signals from farther away. At first, as the sun disappeared, the signal would be poor, but get stronger as darkness fell.

Sandy Koufax was pitching for the Dodgers against the Cubs. The Cubs were the Cubs, not a very good team. For the Cubs, Bob Hendley would be pitching. The Dodgers were not a very good hitting team, but with Koufax and Drysdale as half of their staff, they didn't need much clout.

The game unwound into the 5th inning. The Dodgers scored a run without benefit of a hit.

Both teams were still hitless.

Sixth inning, still no hits.

Seventh inning, Koufax mows down the Cubs, but in the Dodger seventh, Lou Johnson doubles.

Hendley ended up with that one hitter.

He took some satisfaction when he 4-hit the Dodgers four days later and won the game.

Koufax threw a perfect game that night.

A perfect game with 14 k's.

Even as a kid and Giants fan, I loved the way Vin Scully talked of baseball.

Scully remains, in my mind, as the only broadcaster left that exudes more of a love of the game, than his feelings for the hometown team.

I got a transcript of the ending of that game. Here are the final moments...

'There's 29,000 people in the ballpark and a million butterflies. I would think that the mound at Dodger Stadium right now is the loneliest place in the world. Sandy fussing, looks in to get his sign, 0 and 2 to Amalfitano. The strike two pitch to Joe: fast ball, swung on and missed, strike three! He is one out away from the promised land.....

Sandy backs off, mops his forehead, dries it off on his left pants leg. All the while, Kuenn just waiting. Now Sandy looks in. Into his windup and the 2-1 pitch to Kuenn: swung on and missed, strike two! It is 9:46 p.m. Two and two to Harvey Kuenn, one strike away. Sandy into his windup, here's the pitch: Swung on and missed!

A perfect game!'

Excited, I raced from my bedroom to the living room to tell my dad. Looking at the surprise on his face at seeing me, I realized that my bedtime was nearly in an hour ago and that I had been listening to the game 'on the sly'.

It didn't stop me. I told him how Koufax had pitched a perfect game and that the Dodgers only got one hit themselves, and what a wonderful game it was.

"Thats great, son. Tomorrow, no radio".

I went back to bed. Knowing both, that I had 'witnessed history' and that losing radio privelidges for tomorrow was worth it.

I still had my secret transistor radio.

[ July 30, 2010, 10:41 AM: Message edited by: DOUGHBOYS ]
On my tombstone-
Wait! I never had the perfect draft!

Navel Lint

Post by Navel Lint » Fri Jul 30, 2010 4:47 am

Ron Santo has talked about that game quite a few times on the radio during Cub broadcasts. He says that’s the most dominating performance one pitcher ever had in a game against a team he has been on. Every player but one struck out at least once. He’s always proud that he only K’d once.
Russel -Navel Lint

"Fans don't boo nobodies"
-Reggie Jackson

Navel Lint

Post by Navel Lint » Fri Jul 30, 2010 5:15 am

For years, probably almost 20 years starting in the mid to late 80’s, I really disliked Vin Scully. I’m not sure exactly why it started, but I just couldn’t listen to him.

Then four years ago I started getting the full baseball package for the tv. Because of my work schedule, I tend to watch a lot of late west coast games. I would usually watch any game other than the Dodgers. But of course sometimes the Dodgers are the only option. The thing is, Vin Scully has made me a fan of his again.

After having listened to both Jack Brickhouse and Harry Caray do games for the Cubs and listening to both of them become characters’ of themselves at the end. I really appreciate the fact that Scully can carry the broadcast by himself and for the most part he does the game the same way he always has. Now it’s the same way that turned me off 20 years ago, but when you flip around the dial and listen to all the other play by play men doing games, I put Scully in the top third. After 61 seasons and at the age of 82, that’s pretty good.
Russel -Navel Lint

"Fans don't boo nobodies"
-Reggie Jackson

DOUGHBOYS

Post by DOUGHBOYS » Fri Jul 30, 2010 7:02 am

Originally posted by Navel Lint:

Ron Santo has talked about that game quite a few times on the radio during Cub broadcasts. He says that’s the most dominating performance one pitcher ever had in a game against a team he has been on. Every player but one struck out at least once. He’s always proud that he only K’d once. Amalfitano pinch hit for the only man not to strike out vs. Koufax that night, Don Kessinger.

To my knowledge, it is the only major league game in history to have only one player reach base. That player being Lou Johnson.

Johnson walked in the fifth, was sacrificed to second by Fairly, stole third and scored on the errant throw by the catcher.

As mentioned, Johnson also doubled in the seventh.
On my tombstone-

KJ Duke

Post by KJ Duke » Fri Jul 30, 2010 8:04 am

Originally posted by Navel Lint:

For years, probably almost 20 years starting in the mid to late 80’s, I really disliked Vin Scully. I’m not sure exactly why it started, but I just couldn’t listen to him.

Then four years ago I started getting the full baseball package for the tv. Because of my work schedule, I tend to watch a lot of late west coast games. I would usually watch any game other than the Dodgers. But of course sometimes the Dodgers are the only option. The thing is, Vin Scully has made me a fan of his again.

After having listened to both Jack Brickhouse and Harry Caray do games for the Cubs and listening to both of them become characters’ of themselves at the end. I really appreciate the fact that Scully can carry the broadcast by himself and for the most part he does the game the same way he always has. Now it’s the same way that turned me off 20 years ago, but when you flip around the dial and listen to all the other play by play men doing games, I put Scully in the top third. After 61 seasons and at the age of 82, that’s pretty good. Vin is of course a very good baseball announcer, but I can't listen to him. To me, he is opera. I can appreciate the talent, but it doesn't appeal to me and after awhile it turns tortuous.

Give me Brickhouse or Carey or Santo, I like humor with my baseball.

... or almost anyone else for that matter, with the exception of Hawk "the most annoying announcer in the history of sports" Harrelson.

DOUGHBOYS

Post by DOUGHBOYS » Fri Jul 30, 2010 9:05 am

I can tolerate Harrelson to listen to Steve Stone. Stone is a good analyst.

Harrelson is hopeless. Not only is he a 'beat you over the head' Homer, but maybe worse, he does not add much to the game.

I don't know the names, or care to, but the Tampa Bay radio guys are the worst. They are the types who believe that other players, umpires, weather, God, and who knows what all, all conspire every day to battle the Rays. The fault never lies with Tampa players in a loss. If it weren't for these elements, Tampa would be undefeated.

As an experiment, I listened to a whole ballgame on radio, taped it on tv, and watched the next day. They should be fired alone for some of their descriptions of the umpire's strike zone. They are nothing more than Tampa fans with a microphone.

No insight. Just a one-sided narrative.

Bleechh!
On my tombstone-

headhunters

Post by headhunters » Fri Jul 30, 2010 9:45 am

hey - last night hawk and stone ALMOST and i mean ALMOST pointed out that old juan pierre should have caught a fly ball that landed 5 feet from where pierre was standing when the ball was hit. progress. hawk is smart. for 25 years he has made great $ doing the sox and then went out and played golf. scratch player, i might add. he wouldn't be that way if jerry didn't want him that way. maybe in our lifetime a mute button for each voice will be invented. hawk and harold- ain't i a riot- reynolds will be the 1st to be muted.

eddiejag

Post by eddiejag » Sat Jul 31, 2010 12:57 am

Originally posted by KJ Duke:

quote:Originally posted by Navel Lint:

After having listened to both Jack Brickhouse and Harry Caray do games for the Cubs and listening to both of them become characters’ of themselves at the end. I really appreciate the fact that Scully can carry the broadcast by himself and for the most part he does the game the same way he always has. Now it’s the same way that turned me off 20 years ago, but when you flip around the dial and listen to all the other play by play men doing games, I put Scully in the top third. After 61 seasons and at the age of 82, that’s pretty good. Vin is of course a very good baseball announcer, but I can't listen to him. To me, he is opera. I can appreciate the talent, but it doesn't appeal to me and after awhile it turns tortuous.

Give me Brickhouse or Carey or Santo, I like humor with my baseball.

... or almost anyone else for that matter, with the exception of Hawk "the most annoying announcer in the history of sports" Harrelson.
[/QUOTE]Agree with some of this as im not a Scully fan.But Hawk with Stone and being the biggest homer since Johnny Most is something i enjoy.

The one announcer i cant stand is in football and thats Warren Sapp as his head never stops moving and his eyes look like he's on crack.Brings nothing .
EDWARD J GILLIS

Dub

Post by Dub » Sat Jul 31, 2010 1:53 am

The one (only) thing the Mets do right. There announcing crew is the best and as far away from a "homer" mentality as you can get (maybe too far).
"I don't remmeber what I don't remember.”- Jerry Garcia

Ando

Post by Ando » Sat Jul 31, 2010 3:54 am

Dough,

I read Koufax's autobiography about 5 years ago and remember there is a good chapter or two dedicated to the perfect game vs. the Cubs.

With that being such a memorable night in your childhood, I think you would enjoy the compliment the book has to offer.
"Luck is the residue of design."

-Branch Rickey

DOUGHBOYS

Post by DOUGHBOYS » Sat Jul 31, 2010 4:08 am

Three in a booth works for the Mets. They don't automatically agree with each other like other broadcast teams, which is darn refreshing.

Darling and Hernandez disagreeing over a point is usually the high point of a broadcast. It usually brings a lot of information and humor.

Boston's broadcasts are enjoyable.

They are a sit back in the easy chair and enjoy the game kind of duo.
On my tombstone-

DOUGHBOYS

Post by DOUGHBOYS » Sat Jul 31, 2010 4:10 am

Originally posted by Ando:

Dough,

I read Koufax's autobiography about 5 years ago and remember there is a good chapter or two dedicated to the perfect game vs. the Cubs.

With that being such a memorable night in your childhood, I think you would enjoy the compliment the book has to offer. Thanks Ando.

I read an earlier biography on him. I'll check out the later one.

Thanks again.
On my tombstone-