Citi Field To Be Host Site of All New York Events

Greg Ambrosius

Post by Greg Ambrosius » Fri Dec 11, 2009 10:02 am

We're proud to finally announce that the NFBC's East Coast main event will be held on Saturday, March 27th at Citi Field in New York. This has been a long time coming and a lot of hard work, but we have agreed to the details with the Mets and are excited to bring a live fantasy sports event to an MLB ballpark.

The main event will be held in Caesar's Club at Citi Field, a 12,000 square foot room overlooking the playing field. Take a look at this unique space here:

http://newyork.mets.mlb.com/nym/ballpar ... aesarsclub

We have never hosted a live event at a stadium before, but we want to take our event to another level and we believe this is the start of things to come. The Mets have also been great to work with as they are excited to have this event and our die-hard fans inside their stadium. It should be a great, great day at Citi Field.

I will have a lot more details on the main event next week after I return from my trip there. I'm heading to New York for a Wednesday meeting and then everything should be set. This is going to be a lot of fun, but honestly our space is limited as you can see. The Sheraton had 15,000 square feet, so we will likely be limited to 8-9 leagues for New York. First-come, first-serve in New York for that second weekend.

I will also post the menu and other goodies for Citi Field later, but we are having a buffet lunch during the second break, drink tickets during the afternoon and then an open bar for an hour at the end of the draft. We think this is going to be a lot of fun for all involved.

We still have not finalized the location yet for our Friday and Sunday events. We currently have them listed for Citi Field, but that space might be tough to get for our Auction Championship and Double Play. I am looking for an alternative option in New York City if this doesn't work out at Citi Field. I'll know more next week once I return from my visit there. But we will have a full slate of Auction Championship events, Double Plays, Ultimates and Supers in New York and we should have a location finalized soon. We'd love to have it at a unique spot at Citi Field or at a sports bar, but we're struggling to get that done right now.

If anyone has any good leads in the New York area that could work for Friday and Sunday, let me know. We do have contracts from hotels in Times Square and we could return there if another option doesn't open up. But I'm open to suggestions if anyone has a lead similar to what we're doing at the Cubby Bear Wrigleyville.

Thanks all and we look forward to your feedback on this unique location. Enjoy East Coasters. We're drafting with Mr. Met!! :D

[ December 31, 2009, 06:26 AM: Message edited by: Greg Ambrosius ]
Greg Ambrosius
Founder, National Fantasy Baseball Championship
General Manager, Consumer Fantasy Games at SportsHub Technologies
Twitter - @GregAmbrosius

Greg Ambrosius

Post by Greg Ambrosius » Fri Dec 11, 2009 1:16 pm

Someone in the New York area help me out: We have an offer from the Melville Marriott to host the Friday and Sunday events. Is that out of the way in Long Island or a good spot? Is it better than the Sheraton or Hilton or Westin in Times Square??

Any feedback is welcome. We have some other options too, but these are some locations we are looking at on Wednesday. Thanks all.
Greg Ambrosius
Twitter - @GregAmbrosius

Sack

Post by Sack » Fri Dec 11, 2009 3:31 pm

Greg:

About 30 minutes more into LI from Citi-Field. 495 is the best route in, hit or miss in regard to traffic. The further you travel into Long Island, the bigger the headache if you hit traffic on a bad day.

I'd say the Manhatten locations are easier to reach.

Spyhunter

Post by Spyhunter » Fri Dec 11, 2009 5:04 pm

Originally posted by Greg Ambrosius:

Someone in the New York area help me out: We have an offer from the Melville Marriott to host the Friday and Sunday events. Is that out of the way in Long Island or a good spot? Is it better than the Sheraton or Hilton or Westin in Times Square??

Any feedback is welcome. We have some other options too, but these are some locations we are looking at on Wednesday. Thanks all. Melville vs Manhattan? Manhattan is such a better call. All trains/roads lead to Times Square

Congrats on Citifield sounds like fun

Spyhunter

Glenneration X

Post by Glenneration X » Fri Dec 11, 2009 5:31 pm

The Melville Marriott's right off the LIE....piece of cake to get there Sunday. Friday, depends on the timing. As long as you avoid rush hour it's OK.

It's supposedly a real nice hotel.

Thumbs up.

Glenn

Glenneration X

Post by Glenneration X » Fri Dec 11, 2009 5:33 pm

Also...if you are choosing among spots in Long Island, this is about as easy as it gets to find and get to because of its location right off the LIE.

Glenn

Greg Ambrosius

Post by Greg Ambrosius » Sat Dec 12, 2009 1:12 am

All good feedback. Keep 'em coming. Ryan and I are extending our stay in New York another day next week to check all of this out for ourselves. We like Manhattan better and will shoot for that if we can find a way to make it work. But in the last two years, the prices have just become ridiculous.

We'll find a suitable spot, I promise. Thanks for all the feedback so far.
Greg Ambrosius
Twitter - @GregAmbrosius

Cotton1

Post by Cotton1 » Sat Dec 12, 2009 1:43 am

separate question, not sure where to post it, but do we get a membership with mdc again this year? if so, what do i need to do? btw, the bellagio is awesome, thats where i always stay, the guys are going to love it!
rusty
"can i call you rusty?"

Greg Ambrosius

Post by Greg Ambrosius » Sat Dec 12, 2009 2:03 am

Originally posted by moon over my hammy:

separate question, not sure where to post it, but do we get a membership with mdc again this year? if so, what do i need to do? btw, the bellagio is awesome, thats where i always stay, the guys are going to love it! I don't have an answer on that yet, but we'll know soon. We definitely want to give our guys a free pass to a mock draft site and that is our goal for 2010. Stay tuned.
Greg Ambrosius
Twitter - @GregAmbrosius

Red Sox Nation

Post by Red Sox Nation » Sun Dec 13, 2009 3:37 am

Greg,

Are there any locations available that are right near Citi Field? For those drafting 2-3 days it would be nice to have the drafts at the same location or one every close. I always enjoyed the Sheraton cause it was just an elevator ride for drafts on Friday, Saturday, and Sunday.
2004 NYY "The Greatest Choke in the History of Sports"

Glenneration X

Post by Glenneration X » Sun Dec 13, 2009 3:47 am

With no traffic, the ride from Citifield to Melville is about half hour tops.

Glenn

Gekko

Post by Gekko » Sun Dec 13, 2009 3:49 am

Originally posted by Red Sox Nation:

For those drafting 2-3 days it would be nice to have the drafts at the same location or one every close. I always enjoyed the Sheraton cause it was just an elevator ride for drafts on Friday, Saturday, and Sunday. i agree with you here. why can't the friday/sunday events be at Citi?

Glenneration X

Post by Glenneration X » Sun Dec 13, 2009 3:55 am

I'm pretty sure I read somewhere Greg mentioning that Citifield for all three days would be the ideal....but wasn't sure the availability was there and he was looking into secondary options.

Though I love the city, Long Island is much easier to get to and parking's a hell of a lot cheaper.

Glenn

billywaz

Post by billywaz » Sun Dec 13, 2009 4:47 am

Originally posted by Glenneration X:

I'm pretty sure I read somewhere Greg mentioning that Citifield for all three days would be the ideal....but wasn't sure the availability was there and he was looking into secondary options.

Though I love the city, Long Island is much easier to get to and parking's a hell of a lot cheaper.

Glenn Also, I am sure the costs would be much more to have it there for 3 days.

Basically it would result in about $100 for event fees per person for each event. :eek:

viper

Post by viper » Sun Dec 13, 2009 3:04 pm

is there reasonable public transportation to all the suggested NYC sites?

[ December 13, 2009, 09:05 PM: Message edited by: viper ]

Greg Ambrosius

Post by Greg Ambrosius » Mon Dec 14, 2009 2:08 am

Originally posted by viper:

is there reasonable public transportation to all the suggested NYC sites? This is key to wherever we go on Friday and Sunday. I'll be in New York on Wednesday to meet with the Citi Field representatives and maybe we can still work something out for those dates. If not, we'll make sure that the place we pick for Friday and Sunday has easy access.

Citi Field is easy to get to on the #7 subway and we have free parking for anyone who wants to drive to the stadium on Saturday morning. The rest is still to be determined. We'll figure it out soon and post all the details here. But easy access to the draft site is key, no doubt about it.
Greg Ambrosius
Twitter - @GregAmbrosius

Schwks

Post by Schwks » Mon Dec 14, 2009 2:42 am

You can also take Long Island Railroad to Woodside, and then take the 7 train one or two stops.
schwanks.blogspot.com
Little Bits mostly non-related to fantasy sports...alright maybe a little

Lost Sailor

Post by Lost Sailor » Mon Dec 14, 2009 6:41 am

I'll cast a vote for the Westin Times Square. It's on 8th ave @ 42nd street, which means it's easy to access the 7 train (to CitiField) as well as Penn Station for LI folks, the PA Bus Terminal for us NJers, and has cheap-ish parking at the bus terminal as well @ ~$20/day.
Been way too long at sea....

King of Queens

Post by King of Queens » Mon Dec 14, 2009 5:33 pm

How many people are you expecting on Friday and Sunday? IIRC, in 2009, there were no more than 30 people on Friday and less than 10 on Sunday. If you're expecting a similar crowd, why not go with something close to CitiField?

Here's my recommendation:

http://www.marriott.com/hotels/travel/l ... -marriott/

King of Queens

Post by King of Queens » Mon Dec 14, 2009 5:40 pm

Here are a few more:

http://www.clarionhotel.com/hotel-east_ ... art_day=28

http://www.ichotelsgroup.com/h/d/cp/1/en/hotel/nyclg

http://www.starwoodhotels.com/sheraton/ ... ertyID=994

Any of these properties would cost a fraction of a night's stay in Manhattan -- a better deal for both Fanball and participants.

Another idea: with the money saved, the NFBC could provide shuttle service from the hotel to CitiField.

Greg Ambrosius

Post by Greg Ambrosius » Tue Dec 15, 2009 4:13 am

Originally posted by King of Queens:

How many people are you expecting on Friday and Sunday? IIRC, in 2009, there were no more than 30 people on Friday and less than 10 on Sunday. If you're expecting a similar crowd, why not go with something close to CitiField?

Here's my recommendation:

http://www.marriott.com/hotels/travel/l ... -marriott/ I agree, this is a good option, but these outskirt hotels all seem to be booked solid. I've been calling these the last few weeks. This one has banquets all day Friday and Saturday. Good lead though.
Greg Ambrosius
Twitter - @GregAmbrosius

Greg Ambrosius

Post by Greg Ambrosius » Tue Dec 15, 2009 4:33 am

This is an interesting option Glenn. Within walking distance almost of Citi Field, last stop on the No. 7 train. Works for Friday and Sunday too. I'll stop there tomorrow. Thanks for the lead.

http://www.starwoodhotels.com/sheraton/ ... ertyID=994
Greg Ambrosius
Twitter - @GregAmbrosius

Greg Ambrosius

Post by Greg Ambrosius » Wed Dec 16, 2009 6:37 am

Wow, Ryan and I just left Citi Field and Casesar's Club is OUTSTANDING for Saturday's main event. That room is much bigger than advertised and we can easily get 8-9 leagues in there with space for a lounge area and the bar. This is going to be a very nice setup for the main event at Citi Field.

Caesar's Club doesn't overlook the field, unfortunately, but the room is spectacular. There are plenty of windows, though. The free parking is going to be nice and you can walk right into the registration area from the parking lot. The same is true if you come in on the No. 7 train from Manhattan. It's $4 to ride the train from Manhattan and back and it drops you off right in front of Citi Field. We have a nice menu for everyone and folks can stick around for an hour after the draft for drinks on us, look at all of the draft boards and smack talk with fellow NFBC members. This is a special setup.

We had to walk past Omar Minaya's office on the way to Caesar's Club and I had to hold back Ryan from storming his office. Ryan is an ULTRA Mets fan and he wants this thing turned around NOW!! :D Damn, you should have seen him in the executive wing. Good stuff.

The Mets have ideal space for Friday in two other locations and we're negotiating with them now to see if we can do everything there. They are receptive, but it comes down to cost and comfort for all of our participants. We have three other meetings today and should know more soon. There are options for these other days and we'll share them with you after today.

I've now personally gone to Citi Field, Cubby Bear Wrigleyville, Pujols 5, Flamingo and Bellagio and all of them are great venues. Citi Field definitely has that special feel to it and I think it's something we would like to expand on going forward. We have some ideas after seeing this space. Stay tuned.

I'll have an update soon on the rest of the options. Thanks for your patience all. Trust me, it will be rewarded. Damn, Caesar's Club is SWEEEEEEEEEET. ;)
Greg Ambrosius
Twitter - @GregAmbrosius

Glenneration X

Post by Glenneration X » Fri Dec 18, 2009 10:19 am

Any decisions made on Friday & Sunday of this weekend?

Glenn

Greg Ambrosius

Post by Greg Ambrosius » Fri Dec 18, 2009 10:47 am

Originally posted by Glenneration X:

Any decisions made on Friday & Sunday of this weekend?

Glenn We're waiting for a quote for Friday from Citi Field. I thought we'd have it today, but it didn't arrive. Our hope is to stay there, but we need to see the charges first.

Sunday will be at a nearby hotel because we may need phone hookups. The Mets offered to host our Ultimate League in the clubhouse and to allow our members to take batting practice as well. They could sit in the dugout after the draft. It all sounded so damn cool until we heard the price tag. Then we just said "thanks, but no thanks." But pretty damn cool, huh?

We should know more soon but it's likely we'll stay near Citi Field if possible for all. We're waiting on a few price quotes, though.
Greg Ambrosius
Twitter - @GregAmbrosius