A Stat I Would Love to See...

The Union jacks

A Stat I Would Love to See...

Post by The Union jacks » Mon Apr 09, 2018 8:52 am

but would also be terrifying:

Owner Start/Sit Accuracy.

So we have the ability to work out optimum lineups thanks to the cutline we could use that as a gauge for other events. It would be great to have a % score for each owner based on their lineup decisions. It would be what % of our possible points have we attained. Would be interesting to have something tangible to show who are the best in season managers.

You could do something similar with FA. That would be a more complicated formula involving production per $ but again something could be done to give more insight in owner ability at the two facets of the game that come after drafting.

Thoughts?

DOUGHBOYS

Re: A Stat I Would Love to See...

Post by DOUGHBOYS » Mon Apr 09, 2018 10:12 am

The Union jacks wrote:but would also be terrifying:

So we have the ability to work out optimum lineups thanks to the cutline we could use that as a gauge for other events. It would be great to have a % score for each owner based on their lineup decisions. It would be what % of our possible points have we attained. Would be interesting to have something tangible to show who are the best in season managers.

You could do something similar with FA. That would be a more complicated formula involving production per $ but again something could be done to give more insight in owner ability at the two facets of the game that come after drafting.

Thoughts?
An optimum lineup for cutline would not be an optimum lineup for roto.

If benching Rajai Davis and missing two stolen bases during a period, would that be worse than missing out on the home run by Brandon Nimmo and his two rbi?
We wouldn't know till the end of the season in each league.
Maybe I would need the extra point those two stolen bases would have provided or maybe the Nimmo home run put me over the top for homers. We just don't know yet.
In roto, we live and die with our in-season decisions.
Each team has different needs, weaknesses and strengths.
Near the end of the year, last year, I had Starters, good Starters, that I benched to try and catch up in points for Saves.
Though the Starters were good, their categories were settled.
Those Starters did great on my bench, it didn't matter, it would not have effected the standings.
On paper, I would be dinged for doing the right thing in trying to win my league.
It would be very misleading and not worthwhile in my opinion....
On my tombstone-
Wait! I never had the perfect draft!

The Union jacks

Post by The Union jacks » Mon Apr 09, 2018 12:11 pm

DOUGHBOYS wrote:
The Union jacks wrote:but would also be terrifying:

Thoughts?
An optimum lineup for cutline would not be an optimum lineup for roto.

If benching Rajai Davis and missing two stolen bases during a period, would that be worse than missing out on the home run by Brandon Nimmo and his two rbi?
We wouldn't know till the end of the season in each league.
Maybe I would need the extra point those two stolen bases would have provided or maybe the Nimmo home run put me over the top for homers. We just don't know yet.
In roto, we live and die with our in-season decisions.
Each team has different needs, weaknesses and strengths.
Near the end of the year, last year, I had Starters, good Starters, that I benched to try and catch up in points for Saves.
Though the Starters were good, their categories were settled.
Those Starters did great on my bench, it didn't matter, it would not have effected the standings.
On paper, I would be dinged for doing the right thing in trying to win my league.
It would be very misleading and not worthwhile in my opinion....
Yes but I mean an optimum lineup for roto. I used the cutline as an example but did not intend to suggest cutline points. With your players what were the most roto points you could have achieved within your league and then what % of them did you.

DOUGHBOYS

Post by DOUGHBOYS » Mon Apr 09, 2018 12:15 pm

Sorry, it just would not fly for roto.
Some teams are dying for a Save or Steal.
Others for an rbi or Win.
The importance determined by each individual league and team.
Every team is different and there are far too many variables to measure.
On my tombstone-

DOUGHBOYS

Post by DOUGHBOYS » Mon Apr 09, 2018 12:18 pm

A team with five injured players on the bench would look brilliant.
They are losing zero statistics.
The stronger team with no injuries would look worse for the wear, management-wise, since all their players are accumulating statistics.
It just would not be useable.
On my tombstone-

The Union jacks

Post by The Union jacks » Mon Apr 09, 2018 12:21 pm

You're missing the point.

It completely addresses what points you are chasing within your individual league.

As for all zeros on the bench...so what? All that will do is allow you to wallow in your 'bad luck.' I only for 50 roto points but that's all I could have got so poor me.

It's an interesting data point in my opinion.

DOUGHBOYS

Post by DOUGHBOYS » Mon Apr 09, 2018 12:22 pm

The Union jacks wrote:You're missing the point.

It completely addresses what points you are chasing within your individual league.

As for all zeros on the bench...so what? All that will do is allow you to wallow in your 'bad luck.' I only for 50 roto points but that's all I could have got so poor me.

It's an interesting data point in my opinion.
I'm not missing the point.
Good luck with that.
On my tombstone-

Philippe27

Post by Philippe27 » Mon Apr 09, 2018 1:33 pm

Technically it would be doable because there are ways to value players based on an average team but I assume it would take a lot of time to program, wouldn't be perfect because of injuries and because every team is different so I don't think it's worth it for what it would give.