When will players with no Friday game lock?

steveymer

When will players with no Friday game lock?

Post by steveymer » Thu Apr 05, 2018 11:54 am

Sorry if this has been announced elsewhere, but I didn't see an answer anywhere:

What day and time will players who don't play on Friday lock in/out of our lineups?

Thanks.

Greg Ambrosius

Re: When will players with no Friday game lock?

Post by Greg Ambrosius » Thu Apr 05, 2018 12:21 pm

steveymer wrote:Sorry if this has been announced elsewhere, but I didn't see an answer anywhere:

What day and time will players who don't play on Friday lock in/out of our lineups?

Thanks.
Good question. We haven't had teams without Friday games since we instituted this Friday hitters rule, but of course Major League Baseball started the season earlier this year so that some teams could have Fridays and Sundays off. :shock:

Friday players will lock shortly after the last game on Friday starts. You will have time to make those final decisions, but they will lock well before their Saturday games.
Greg Ambrosius
Founder, National Fantasy Baseball Championship
General Manager, Consumer Fantasy Games at SportsHub Technologies
Twitter - @GregAmbrosius

KJ Duke

Post by KJ Duke » Fri Apr 06, 2018 8:15 pm

Greg Ambrosius wrote:
steveymer wrote:Sorry if this has been announced elsewhere, but I didn't see an answer anywhere:

Thanks.
Good question. We haven't had teams without Friday games since we instituted this Friday hitters rule, but of course Major League Baseball started the season earlier this year so that some teams could have Fridays and Sundays off. :shock:

Friday players will lock shortly after the last game on Friday starts. You will have time to make those final decisions, but they will lock well before their Saturday games.
Can this be changed? Seems like Friday/Sat should be no diff than Monday/Tue for when hitters lock if MLB is gonna run schedules like this.

King of Queens

Post by King of Queens » Fri Apr 06, 2018 8:27 pm

It was just today and last Friday that didn't have all 15 teams scheduled. No issues for the rest of 2018.

Money

Post by Money » Fri Apr 06, 2018 10:30 pm

Greg Ambrosius wrote:

Thanks.

Players have still yet to be locked.
Joe

Philly High Hopes

Post by Philly High Hopes » Sat Apr 07, 2018 8:37 am

Crap. Just learned this now as I wasn't on the message board yesterday. I went to make a roster swap and saw that rosters were already locked. While Friday off days are something new, I'm still not sure why it wouldn't and couldn't be treated similar to Monday/Tuesday roster lock. Even an email notification would have helped as not everyone, myself included, checks the message board every day.

davetniagarafalls

Post by davetniagarafalls » Sat Apr 07, 2018 9:24 am

I guess what's frustrating about this in particular is that winning the NFBC is hard. And it was noted that we have clear sailing from this point in terms of no Friday games. BUT, that said, some leagues will be won by differences of a couple RBI or Runs or maybe a SB. And these are high dollar leagues. So all the things that we've been talking about are big deals even if they don't seem to be. The ability to take out a Chris Owings (who has been getting PT and playing well) who won't start today in favor of a player who may get two starts (like Jose Martinez who is in the lineup), I think it is a decision that can impact the standings. These are the little decisions that make the difference so we should treat them more importantly that we sometimes do.
"Dont sweat the petty stuff and don't pet the sweaty stuff."

Greg Ambrosius

Post by Greg Ambrosius » Sat Apr 07, 2018 12:28 pm

This is something we will definitely have to put in the rules for next year and plan accordingly. It looks like this new Thursday start to the season and some early season off days on Friday and Sunday will be around for the next 5 years. We certainly did not anticipate that teams would be off on Fridays when the schedule came out, but I guess we should have looked at it.

This was set up like it has been in past years when everyone played every Friday, and that was to lock starting lineups after their first game started. It didn't have extra language to start on Saturday if a team didn't play on Friday, like we have for Monday and Tuesday. We didn't expect that to have to be in place. Nor did we state that would happen in the rules, so we couldn't just change that for yesterday. Now we know that we'll need that for 2019 and beyond.

We can discuss how we want to deal with Friday byes together. The original idea of allowing Friday hitter moves was to prevent teams from taking oh-fers from players who went on the DL on Monday night or Tuesday, like we've seen far too often. It really wasn't designed with weekend matchups in mind, although I realize that is how it is also used. But it was more for easing the pain of early week injuries to any of your hitters. I can see a reason for keeping the programming as is, but I also see a reason for adding more flexibility to your weekend decisions when you have two players off on Friday.

Thankfully this won't be in play the rest of this season, but we definitely must tackle this issue for 2019 and make sure we have Fridays spelled out on when the lineups lock because it appears that MLB will continue to give teams a Friday or Sunday off early in the year.

Now for the big question: WHY? I know it's to protect home openers and to have that next day available just in case of a rainout, but it's crazy. To have so many teams off yesterday just seemed WEIRD, didn't it? Oh well. Here we go.
Greg Ambrosius
Founder, National Fantasy Baseball Championship
General Manager, Consumer Fantasy Games at SportsHub Technologies
Twitter - @GregAmbrosius

Philly High Hopes

Post by Philly High Hopes » Sat Apr 07, 2018 7:47 pm

Greg ... my critique isn't that rosters locked on Friday, but that there was no notification sent out. It looks like this thread started around noon yesterday. There was still ample time to send an email out to notify everyone. Otherwise, the only way to have known would have been to check the message board yesterday. I didn't find out until this morning and it was too late.

I'm already seeing an impact as I have Knapp active in the NL only auction with Alfaro on my bench who would have been activated. I miss out on 3-5, HR, 2 runs and 2 RBI. That's not insignificant in an only league and are stats you simply won't get back. I'm sure others have similar scenarios. It's unfortunate that only those that checked the message board yesterday were rewarded with the news. I just wish you would have sent a league notification. Considering the uniqueness of the situation, I feel it would have been justified.