Let's Compile The Latest Updates In This Thread

fwicker

Re: Let's Compile The Latest Updates In This Thread

Post by fwicker » Sat Apr 28, 2018 6:13 pm

Should we hold mobile questions in abeyance until the app is available? I’m assuming energy will go towards the mobile app before fixing the current mobile platform.
"You can observe a lot by watching" - Yogi Berra

Greg Ambrosius

Post by Greg Ambrosius » Fri May 04, 2018 11:57 am

While this isn't for baseball in 2018, we are happy to report that our online auction draft room is almost complete and ready for football. We will have online auction software ready for the NFFC in the next couple of weeks and I will say it is very, very slick. There is a new feature there that I haven't seen on any other site that will move auctions along pretty well and shorten the time it takes to do online auctions. I really like it as we tested the software fully today. Very nice.

NFFC owners will be able to do online auctions very soon and we'll come up with some price points that will get more people involved. We hope to get a lot of folks in so that they can see how much fun auctions really are. Should be fun.

Two things we added this week in the MFL10s that are of interest to NFBC owners was a per pick timer in Draft Results and a Players Shares page. NFFC Draft Results now list the time it took for every single pick. While it doesn't show an average pick for each owner in a Draft Champions league, it's very easy to see who is taking the most time in each draft and who is picking quickly. The Players Shares page will keep track of every single player you drafted for that season and show you how many teams you have him on. It's a nice one-page stop for our football owners to see how many teams they have Saquon Barkley on and other top players. It's a page that can be easily duplicated for NFFC and NFBC owners as well.

Many thanks again to Andy Saxton and Todd Zola for making online auctions so popular and fun in the NFBC. Going forward we're going to be able to do them on the NFBC site and do them whenever we want. Can't wait.
Greg Ambrosius
Founder, National Fantasy Baseball Championship
General Manager, Consumer Fantasy Games at SportsHub Technologies
Twitter - @GregAmbrosius

Greg Ambrosius

Post by Greg Ambrosius » Fri May 04, 2018 11:57 am

CASS wrote:
Greg Ambrosius wrote:
CASS wrote:Live scoring still does not have previous total and current totals....is this just not ever getting done? Living scoring this year vs last year is a huge downgrade....from page layout to features it's terrible.
We answered this question above Doug. Current totals are on Live Scoring by clicking Teams. You can sort every category in real-time and current totals are there and have been there for weeks now. Check it out.
Thanks Greg - When trying the Living Scoring > Teams - The CHG column is not updated by category. So last year for example I could simply select RUNS and see live movement with Change. Can you point me to where this is?
Click on Standings, League. You can see the changes in each of the 10 categories there each day.
Greg Ambrosius
Twitter - @GregAmbrosius

Chthroop

Post by Chthroop » Fri May 11, 2018 2:34 pm

Hi Greg,
Site is coming along well. A few things that could still be fixed, Especially when you use the Mobile browser which I am sure many do. Nice to see the ADP stats fixed so that we can see what happened in the Auction format.

1. There are too many clicks in general. For example. You have to click on "Filter" to show the basic ways to filter on Free Agents and Players Stats. There is no need for a filter button, just show all filters at Top. Choosing teams is another place where there is an extra click, etc..
2. Please make the Free Agents page work the same way as the old one (and the current Player Stats Page does now). Currently in the Free Agents page doesn't show anything if a player is on another team, leaving you to wonder if you spelled the name right. Simply show the player and the owner name (aka, act just the same way the player stats page does now)
3. On the mobile device, there are some strange behaviors when trying to scroll down lists as well as move Free Agents in bid threads. On my iphone 7+ it is almost impossible to manipulate

Thanks and I think it is exciting how far this has come in relatively short time
Chris

Greg Ambrosius

Post by Greg Ambrosius » Fri May 11, 2018 2:44 pm

Chthroop wrote:
Fri May 11, 2018 2:34 pm
Hi Greg,
Site is coming along well. A few things that could still be fixed, Especially when you use the Mobile browser which I am sure many do. Nice to see the ADP stats fixed so that we can see what happened in the Auction format.

1. There are too many clicks in general. For example. You have to click on "Filter" to show the basic ways to filter on Free Agents and Players Stats. There is no need for a filter button, just show all filters at Top. Choosing teams is another place where there is an extra click, etc..
2. Please make the Free Agents page work the same way as the old one (and the current Player Stats Page does now). Currently in the Free Agents page doesn't show anything if a player is on another team, leaving you to wonder if you spelled the name right. Simply show the player and the owner name (aka, act just the same way the player stats page does now)
3. On the mobile device, there are some strange behaviors when trying to scroll down lists as well as move Free Agents in bid threads. On my iphone 7+ it is almost impossible to manipulate

Thanks and I think it is exciting how far this has come in relatively short time
Chris
Chris, Tom and I are in St. Louis this week working with the programmers and adding some tweaks to the baseball site. We have a nice list of tweaks to add soon.

1. We are working on the My Teams link so that you have just one click to all of your teams. We have three links there now: My Teams, Add Team, Join Team. We are removing Add Team because Registration is closed. We will relocate the Join Team, which is really adding a co-manager to any team. Once we remove those two items it will be just one click to My Teams and seeing all of your teams. We agree with here.

2. Go to Free Agents, third filter defaults to Free Agents, select Owned and use the Search box to find any player. It will show you which team that player is on. Simple and done.

3. We are looking to add a feature to FAAB that gives a second option to drag 'n drop. We're on it.

Thanks again and thanks to everyone for these type of suggestions. Some are being added and some are already there.
Greg Ambrosius
Twitter - @GregAmbrosius

Chthroop

Post by Chthroop » Fri May 11, 2018 3:49 pm

Thanks for the quick update. I think everyone can agree we have officially beaten the functionality on the old site! Exciting that the tech team is so capable and focused. Nice work

KJ Duke

Post by KJ Duke » Fri May 11, 2018 4:24 pm

On the new message board, seems like you have to login again every time you navigate away.

Also, can't change avatar ... system says everything is way larger than it actually is.

Gb2715

Post by Gb2715 » Fri May 11, 2018 10:19 pm

KJ Duke wrote:
Fri May 11, 2018 4:24 pm
On the new message board, seems like you have to login again every time you navigate away.

Also, can't change avatar ... system says everything is way larger than it actually is.
Yes this is annoying

Greg Ambrosius

Post by Greg Ambrosius » Sat May 12, 2018 7:33 am

KJ Duke wrote:
Fri May 11, 2018 4:24 pm

We will look at this a little closer on Monday. It shouldn’t be doing that as it’s the same software, but it is. We will look and try to fix this. It’s third party software but let’s see what we can do.
Greg Ambrosius
Twitter - @GregAmbrosius

jdredd111

Post by jdredd111 » Tue May 15, 2018 9:08 am

Hey,

Thought I’d chip in with some comments about the website. Can’t say I’ve kept up to date with everything on boards, so apologies if I duplicate something you’re already aware of.

I am mostly using a PC, and some ipad so my comments come from that perspective.

First off I’d like to say that I am really appreciative of the effort you guys make to be responsive to comments and emails, and how quickly you’ve moved to upgrade the site. That being said, I do have to say the website has been a major disappointment this year. It wasn’t really ready to start the season, and even with upgrades, its pretty clunky and ugly. The clunkiness is getting beter, but the layout and color scheme really needs a complete re-think. There are huge weird gaps in places, especially on a big PC monitor, and its not conducive to readability, and the drop downs are often not ideal. I’d say my enjoyment of NFBC is down 20% just to the website this year. Down 400% due to our teams’ performance of course, but that is another issue….

So that would be my first big comment, here are some more specific spot points:

On stat pages, I would consider grids down as well as across. I often get to the bottom of a team and see Votto 3 1 0 0 1 0. Then I have to constantly look up because im not sure what column corresponds to what and depending on the medium its often pretty far away. Would also consider changing abs and hits to ‘abs/hits’ printed together so the remaining columns stand out more.

On the live scoring page, I would also suggest a complete description of your player’s day in that huge blank space in the middle. The old site did something to this effect, it was nice to see even stuff that didn’t score. ‘4 abs, 3 hits, 1 double, 1 walk, 2 rbi, sb’ or some such. It also made it much more fun to read through, and avoided the column problem above. And that huge space in the middle is doing nothing in many screens.

Also on this page, I would put the totals for batting and pitching at the bottom of each relevant section. It’s fun to read normally by scrolling through your individual players one by one, then looking at the totals. When the totals is the first thing you read, its less fun.

On the standings page, really need to add a daily total for each category. I am far more interested in seeing the momentum in teams around me in each category easily than seeing how many points I happened to lose/win today. So I would add a 4th column with today’s total in the category like Runs “R Pts Today Chg”

It would be nice somewhere to see a stats total summary for all your teams in one place.

It would be really nice to be able to search for a player in ALL your leagues. The ‘player search’ in the set lineup screen is great, I would at least add a ‘owned elsewhere’ and ‘free agent’ outcome to that. So if I type in ‘kingham’ it would tell me he is a free agent in 3 of my 5 leagues, and owned in the other 2, not just whether he is on one of my teams in lineup or bench. This process happens every week, and I have to toggle from league to league to league checking the free agent pool. Particularly annoying as its not as easy to toggle between teams on the free agent page.

Speaking of above, an easier way to toggle between teams on the free agent page would be nice. I actually just found the ‘change team’ link at top because I am used to changing it on the side. Standardize somehow would be nice.

Toggling from team to team gets you lost sometimes. I click standings on one team. Then I switch teams in the standings page to look at another. Then I hit change lineup, but im still on the first team.

On free agent page when I click on the all teams faab budget, it should be listed in declining order of faab remaining.

How do I see today’s stats for all teams? I click ‘teams’ in live scoring and it shows me team totals for the season for all teams. In the upper right there is a drop down that says ‘period stats’ or ‘’day’s stats’ but it does nothing.

The games drop down is pretty clunky. Can you show boxscores instead? It isn’t aligned well either.

On the stats- team stats- drop down I would default to fantasy year to date. Almost always what I want to see here. Also I would not group by ‘active’ and ‘bench. If I want to look at season stats, I don’t care who is active or on my bench this particular period. If I do want to look at period stats, guys on my bench will all be zeroes. If I want to look at mlb year to date stats again, I likely don’t care who is on my bench this period. At least take the bench/active sorting out if the page is set to season totals.

Would consider sorting here by abs/ips in declining order, or making sortable.

Hope this all helps some!

Josh R

Post by Josh R » Fri May 18, 2018 4:00 pm

I swear I just saw this a few days ago...How do I view individual categories in the overall contest? I see under "category points" I can view how many of a stat each team has. But a few days ago I could view it in descending order so I could see how many points 1 win would gain me for example.

Thanks

JohnP

Post by JohnP » Sun May 20, 2018 5:44 am

When you click on a player and select Fantasy Transactions it now shows only the transactions within the league for that player. NICE change. Thanks.

Greg Ambrosius

Post by Greg Ambrosius » Sun May 20, 2018 9:01 am

Josh R wrote:
Fri May 18, 2018 4:00 pm
I swear I just saw this a few days ago...How do I view individual categories in the overall contest? I see under "category points" I can view how many of a stat each team has. But a few days ago I could view it in descending order so I could see how many points 1 win would gain me for example.

Thanks
You can do that by sorting the categories in overall standings, but for some reason they aren't sortable right now. I've asked IT to make those sortable again. Sorry about this. We'll get it fixed.
Greg Ambrosius
Twitter - @GregAmbrosius

Greg Ambrosius

Post by Greg Ambrosius » Sun May 20, 2018 9:20 am

JohnP wrote:
Sun May 20, 2018 5:44 am
When you click on a player and select Fantasy Transactions it now shows only the transactions within the league for that player. NICE change. Thanks.
We had a few nice changes added this week that came as a result of our St. Louis meeting last week. They include:

** Now when you click on My Teams it takes you directly to My Teams. We decided to take off two links that were under that: Add Team and Add Co-Manager. We don't have Registration open for any contests, so removing Add Team made sense. And you can add a co-manager from your My Teams page, so that was easy to remove. Now it's just one click to My Teams.

** If you click the League link from My Teams it takes you to your League Home, which now features your league standings. We replaced KDS and KDS choice with Hitting and Pitching Points to go with Total Points and +/-

** This is the best one: Now on your FAAB bids, we've added an up and a down arrow to more easily move free agent players up or down on your list. This is especially important if you are using your phone or tablet to change the order of your bids. We've never had that feature along with drag 'n drop before and it should make getting your bids exactly right much easier.

** Free Agents' Add Dates are now also on Player Stats page under Stats.

** As John noted, Fantasy Transactions tab now gives you only the relevant information to your league.

** On the home page at playnfbc.com we now list the Top 5 in the NFBC Main Event and have links to the overall standings for each of our national contests. This allows anyone not in the NFBC this year to publicly view the overall standings at any time during the season.

I think we still have a few other items we're working on, thanks to the input and suggestions from our players. Enjoy these additions now.
Greg Ambrosius
Twitter - @GregAmbrosius

mother

Post by mother » Mon May 21, 2018 10:23 am

Greg, is there a reason why for the iOS version of the Live Scoring page, it still does not show ABs or IPs? Since updates on all other stats are available in real time, it would seem like this wouldn't be too hard to implement?

Thanks!

King of Queens

Post by King of Queens » Mon May 21, 2018 10:53 am

Greg Ambrosius wrote:
Sun May 20, 2018 9:20 am

** This is the best one: Now on your FAAB bids, we've added an up and a down arrow to more easily move free agent players up or down on your list. This is especially important if you are using your phone or tablet to change the order of your bids. We've never had that feature along with drag 'n drop before and it should make getting your bids exactly right much easier.
Thank you for implementing this -- a much-needed improvement.

Any sense of why the bids are taking so long to process?

Greg Ambrosius

Post by Greg Ambrosius » Mon May 21, 2018 1:11 pm

Josh R wrote:

Thanks
All 10 categories in the overall standings for all national contests are now sortable. Check it out now.
Greg Ambrosius
Twitter - @GregAmbrosius

Greg Ambrosius

Post by Greg Ambrosius » Mon May 21, 2018 1:51 pm

King of Queens wrote:
Mon May 21, 2018 10:53 am
Greg Ambrosius wrote:
Sun May 20, 2018 9:20 am

Thank you for implementing this -- a much-needed improvement.

Any sense of why the bids are taking so long to process?
We had a record 38,000+ bids last night and everything processed correctly, but you are correct that the processing time took longer than we'd like the last couple of weeks. We are trying not to turn off other aspects of the site like Live Standings while FAAB runs, but it's possible that is slowing things down. We are going to keep an eye on the servers this Sunday to see where there might be better efficiency and will adjust where needed. But yes it did take about an hour to get through all FAAB leagues last night and those leagues at the end of the cycle got their winning bids around 11 pm ET.

We'll keep an eye on it and tweak where needed to make this faster. Thanks all.
Greg Ambrosius
Twitter - @GregAmbrosius

Greg Ambrosius

Post by Greg Ambrosius » Mon May 21, 2018 2:01 pm

I'm going to add this to the Message Boards as its own thread, but I'll add it here as well. We just added a one-page called Pending FAAB bids that is now listed under Transactions on any team page. Check it out now.

The Pending FAAB link will take you to a single page where all of your FAAB bids for all of your teams are listed. This is a perfect way to double check all of your final bids before FAAB runs on Sundays at 10 pm ET. There is also a link to each league so that you can make last minute bid changes. It's a great tool for everyone, but especially for folks who have multiple leagues. And for football, this will be ready right from the start and make it sooooo easy for folks to run multiple leagues on our site. Love it.

Give full credit to the St. Louis IT team for coming up with this idea. We just provided the beers in St. Louis that led to this great idea!! :lol:
Greg Ambrosius
Twitter - @GregAmbrosius

Josh R

Post by Josh R » Tue May 22, 2018 10:51 pm

Greg Ambrosius wrote:
Mon May 21, 2018 1:11 pm
Josh R wrote:

Thanks
All 10 categories in the overall standings for all national contests are now sortable. Check it out now.
Awesome, thank you. But is there anyway they can combine category stats and category points together like it has been in years past(and earlier this year)? I can see where I am in a category, say 425 K's but then to figure out how many points I would gain by getting 10 more K's is nearly impossible. But with the live overall scoring of a couple weeks ago, it would take 5 seconds to figure out.

Not a big deal now with 4 months to go but I could see the last week of the season would be hard to gauge where you stood if certain things happen.

Greg Ambrosius

Post by Greg Ambrosius » Fri May 25, 2018 1:38 pm

So we now added a new link that will allow you to see the draft boards from all NFBC leagues in 2018. Here's how you do that:

Go to Draft and pull down to Results

the first pulldown to the left shows your team. Open that link and pull down to any league you want to look at.

Then click the Draft Board button below that and the draft board for that selected league will open.

Right now if you click an Auction draft board it will show you the full auction and draft with no auction values. We'll look at replacing that board with the auction board with no reserve round picks since the auction values are more important to look at. We'll make that switch soon.

But enjoy the draft boards for all 650+ leagues from 2018.
Greg Ambrosius
Twitter - @GregAmbrosius

Gates

Post by Gates » Sat May 26, 2018 8:48 am

Greg,
Would it be possible when you go to the free agents option, it brings us directly to the BID TAB instead of the FREE AGENT Tab? All the player pool loading Time would be avoided. One loading is not too bad but when you have many teams to validate it’s precious time. And I’m not telling you Cutline challenges. :D
It would save time when the only thing you want is to validate or adjust your bids on Sundays for example.

Thanks
Gaëtan
Go ahead, make my day...

rmurph3

Post by rmurph3 » Wed May 30, 2018 7:40 am

Greg, team,

Amid all the nice usability enhancements, here's a change that needs to be made to firm up contest scoring: you need to calculate batting averages out further in your standings calcs.

In my Main Event this AM (Main Event #463), you're showing two teams tied in the BA category at .2606. But if you calculate those BAs out fully, they are actually:

Those aren't the same and shouldn't be treated as such in the standings.

It's not easy to tell if you have the same issue in the overall standings, but based on the number of ties (x.5) points in the overall BA category points standings, I suspect this fix needs to be applied there too.

You should also check and see if ERA/WHIP need the same adjustments in league/overall calcs.

Thanks!
Ray Murphy, http://www.BaseballHQ.com
Men Without Helmets

Greg Ambrosius

Post by Greg Ambrosius » Wed May 30, 2018 10:40 am

rmurph3 wrote:
Wed May 30, 2018 7:40 am
Greg, team,

Amid all the nice usability enhancements, here's a change that needs to be made to firm up contest scoring: you need to calculate batting averages out further in your standings calcs.

In my Main Event this AM (Main Event #463), you're showing two teams tied in the BA category at .2606. But if you calculate those BAs out fully, they are actually:

Those aren't the same and shouldn't be treated as such in the standings.

It's not easy to tell if you have the same issue in the overall standings, but based on the number of ties (x.5) points in the overall BA category points standings, I suspect this fix needs to be applied there too.

You should also check and see if ERA/WHIP need the same adjustments in league/overall calcs.

Thanks!
Will do Ray. Yes, with STATS we calculated them all out but just displayed out to the normal three numbers on the standings. I will double check with IT to make sure we're doing the same thing here. And yes, WHIP and ERA must be done the same way. Thanks for the heads up.
Greg Ambrosius
Twitter - @GregAmbrosius

fwicker

Post by fwicker » Sun Jun 03, 2018 8:41 pm

When in Set Lineup it's natural to click on a player to see how he's doing. In NFBC this creates a "pop-up" ... most other sites create a new window. And this is a usability thing .... when I click on back-arrow, as I do for most other sites in this same sequence I'm no longer in Set Lineup. So my suggestion is that instead of a pop-up when clicking on a player in Set Lineup, create a new window so that to return to Set Lineup it's a more natural back arrow.
"You can observe a lot by watching" - Yogi Berra