Edwards Bay Fox Pen NYC Tour 2018

Edwards Kings

Re: Edwards Bay Fox Pen NYC Tour 2018

Post by Edwards Kings » Tue Jun 26, 2018 12:36 pm

Edwards Kings wrote:
Mon Mar 19, 2018 12:51 pm
Bigperl wrote:It was great to meet you, Wayne, before our draft started on Saturday. I wish we could have talked longer (and after the draft too). Looking forward to your in-season analysis of your team and more...and I hope you are as high on Albies as I am, though I may have reached a bit in grabbing him in our draft as early as I did!

Good luck in what will certainly be a very competitive league!

Marc
Enjoyed meeting you too, Marc. And there is nothing holding Albies back but youth. He flew through the minors but he already is showing all the right signs. He hits the ball pretty hard for someone 5'8". He sees the ball pretty well and that I think will only improve. He makes good contact already (he is only 21) so look for his OBP to improve and average too. With a little more coaching, I see easily 25+ SB regularly with good power (say 15-20 with that lucky year getting 25). These things should keep him hitting up in the line-up for a long time. This year I think he can get close to these numbers and maybe even a BA that won't hurt much.
Marc...how is that old Albies thing working out for you? :D
Baseball is a slow, boring, complex, cerebral game that doesn't lend itself to histrionics. You 'take in' a baseball game, something odd to say about a football or basketball game, with the clock running and the bodies flying.
Charles Krauthammer

Edwards Kings

Post by Edwards Kings » Sun Jul 01, 2018 8:11 am

Welcome to mid-point...or there about.

I was filling out my All-Star Ballot(s). Upsetting that it would not let me vote for Braves in the AL column as well.

Where have all the first basemen gone? I mean, if you put all the Yankees first basemen in a blender, you still would not get a full serving. It is probably the only time in baseball history that you get excited about having Moreland on your team and Yonder Alonso is a near All-Star. One wonders why Hosmer had to settle on San Diego. Catcher may not be the thinnest postion after all.

Baseball will probably change the rules a bit on the shift, such as the shortstop cannot line-up before the pitch on the firstbase side of second, et al. It will not mean much, but maybe it will help a little. And it will happen just about the time batters rediscover inside-outing their swing to go the other way. Still, the shift to me is like putting ketchup on a filet mignon...just shouldn't be done.

The starter-starter (i.e. reliever who goes two innings to start the game because the lame ass real starter isn't smart enough to see the best batters three times) doesn't upset me as much as the shift. Maybe it can be a cure for the 10-day DL. Though it still would not necessarily be good for fantasy, maybe teams will have their real starters have abbreviated three or four inning starts to get them rest rather than DL them for "pebble in their shoe" type injuries to get them the rest the poor widdle babies need.

Never have I seen more bling, chains (maybe part of bling...not my area of expertise), tatoos, facial hair, weird other hair, etc. than I have now. Makes Findley's A's and the rest of the 70's styles seem so bland in comparison. And in reality they end up looking and acting like such prima donna wimps. All of them could really use a cattle drive with John Wayne. Maybe then they can actually grow a little hair on their collective asses. If the MLB players get any worse, I may mistake them for NFL players...I may start watching ice hockey again.

Actually, the sport I would have liked to have a chance to play was lacrosse (not readily available in South Georgia in the 70's). I still like baseball best (despite the preceding curmudgeonly rant), but if I can legally run up and down a field whacking an opposing player with a stick, I am all in.

For the Fourth of July, and after watching/reading the news from the various and extremely polarized news sources, a quote:

"If we love our country, we should also love our countrymen." Of course, half the nation will hate this quote because it is attributed to Ronald Reagan. Still our leaders (both sides of the aisle) today are proclaiming ignorant half truths aimed a fostering hate and distrust (as if we needed any help).

And we lost Krauthammer...one of the few who made his points with thoughtful, cerbral eloquence lacking spite.

Maybe I shouldn't be surprised. I wonder if Rep. Maxine Waters would get this?

"The strain of anti-intellectualism has been a constant thread winding its way through our political and cultural life, nurtured by the false notion that democracy means that my ignorance is just as good as your knowledge." Isaac Asimov
Baseball is a slow, boring, complex, cerebral game that doesn't lend itself to histrionics. You 'take in' a baseball game, something odd to say about a football or basketball game, with the clock running and the bodies flying.
Charles Krauthammer

Edwards Kings

Post by Edwards Kings » Tue Jul 03, 2018 3:53 pm

So I ended up having to watch "Glow" with my wife...don't ask me how or why...sordid and shameful...but anyway this character is the producer/director character....

Remind you of anybody else we know...you know...a guy with what looks like a dead chipmunk on his upper lip? :D
Charles Krauthammer

Bigperl

Post by Bigperl » Thu Jul 05, 2018 5:16 pm

Hi Wayne. I've been off the Boards for a while and was happy to read your latest posts today. I am certainly happy with how that old Albies thing has worked out so far. But not so happy with the likes of Bellinger, Lynn, Marte and the rest of my squad. We've rallied some lately and have a shot to finish in the middle of the league standings, but that's about it. Meanwhile you have a close race on your hands. It's obviously too late to help the Mets this year (and I do not think he will be traded, notwithstanding the recent speculation in the local press), but I hope DeGrom manages to pick up some Ws for you.

I enjoyed watching the scrappy Braves play the Yanks the last few days. Do you like their chances to win the division? I assume so, especially given how bad the Nats have been playing.

Good luck to you...and the Braves...the rest of the way!

Edwards Kings

Post by Edwards Kings » Thu Jul 05, 2018 6:46 pm

Bigperl wrote:
Thu Jul 05, 2018 5:16 pm
Hi Wayne. I've been off the Boards for a while and was happy to read your latest posts today. I am certainly happy with how that old Albies thing has worked out so far. But not so happy with the likes of Bellinger, Lynn, Marte and the rest of my squad. We've rallied some lately and have a shot to finish in the middle of the league standings, but that's about it. Meanwhile you have a close race on your hands. It's obviously too late to help the Mets this year (and I do not think he will be traded, notwithstanding the recent speculation in the local press), but I hope DeGrom manages to pick up some Ws for you.

I enjoyed watching the scrappy Braves play the Yanks the last few days. Do you like their chances to win the division? I assume so, especially given how bad the Nats have been playing.

Good luck to you...and the Braves...the rest of the way!
You know, the Braves just seem to be having fun. And it is fun to watch. Three Braves bats as possible All Start starters...who would of thunk it.
Can they win the division? Maybe...anything is possible. I think the Nats will be a second half team. They are getting healthy and are just very talented. Harper will not be this bad too much longer. Getting Murphy all the way back would be nice for them.

My biggest concerns for the Braves are:

1) Those arms are young and inexperienced. Good arms, but they walk to many for my tastes and while these have been collective growth years, the best is yet to come....I think they have been a bit lucky this year.
2) The Braves have made a lot of hay off of several utility infielders...Carmargo, Flaherty, Culberson. Good guys to have...can play anywhere, rest anyone, but the impact of their bats is quite surprising.
3) Not many bats in the minors now...Riley has been hurt. Not much backup. Of course, given the minors have provided Albies, Swanson, and Inciarte in recent years, there is no room for me to bitch.
4) The bullpen is thin and subject to spectacular blow ups...

The Mutts and Marlins are done. The Phillies probably do not have enough starting pitching and their bullpen is even worse. So, it should be the Braves and Nats....My money is on the Nats, but the Braves I do not think will fade as in years past, so we will see....
Charles Krauthammer

Edwards Kings

Post by Edwards Kings » Fri Jul 06, 2018 4:22 pm

A little late, but here we are at mid-point. Wanted to blog earlier but the World wanted me to work. Stupid World.

If you buy into the analogy that the NFBC Main is a marathon, I get the feeling I the others have let me set the pace hoping to be gassed for the sprint at the end. Maybe yes, maybe no, but in anyway I have been fortune to lead most of the year.

By the way, a fun fact about the Battle of Marathon. We all know the legend…after the Greek victory over the Persians (and the subsequent removal of all of their rugs), Pheidippides is said to have run 26 miles straight from Marathon to Athens to deliver the news of victory. It is said that Pheidippides ran non-stop and so fast that when he eventually reached Athens and delivered the message, he collapsed to death. This is not true…for his feat (or feet) of speed and endurance Pheidippides received some ultimate gifts such as a woman who bathed regularly (this was 490 BC after all), a herd of goats who did not as part of a lucrative endorsement deal with Nike, and a lifetime free pass to NOT have to attend any Mets games.

Anyway, back to my team. I could certainly use a Pheidippides. When I left the draft, with Altuve, Andrus, Souza, and Mallex Smith, I thought I had enough speed. Andrus went on the DL, Souza went on the DL, and Smith was not playing so like a dumb ass I cut him in order to have enough healthy players (early on, both my catchers were also on the DL). Well now I am last in my league and damn near last overall in speed. In six years as a full time player, Altuve has had one year of 56 steals, and the other five years from 30 to 38. Pretty stable and having just turned 28, there should be no age related decline. As we all know, speed doesn’t slump…snicker…so I expect Altuve to have a monster second half as going into this week he had only 12 steals for my team. He also had 24 HR in the last two years but only seven going into this week. That should have turned around or I will regret making him my second round pick even though the BA, runs scored and RBI’s are tracking pretty close to historical.

Andrus, whom you think you could count on for a couple of dozen SB, is back but as far as I can tell he has only attempted ONE SB ALL YEAR (and was caught). I guess a fractured elbow really impacted his running game….speed does not slump….and his OBP is right in line with his career average. I am not sure when we will know, but there is definitely something wrong here. I honestly was not expecting a repeat of the 2017 career year, but damn!

By position coming into this week, my catchers are great (Realmuto is trying his best to be the Marlins bonus baby and batting about .300) and Zunino (one of my many Mendoza’s and batting about .190). They have averaged about 12 HR each with 30 runs and 35 RBI’s, give or take. For catcher, especially if Realmuto lands well and Zunino can get his average even up to the Mendoza line, I will consider this “good”. Zunino is on a 10-day DL vacation, so maybe the rest will help.

On the corners, steady Kyle Seager, and “Remember me?” Mike Moustakas, anchor my CM and are giving me about what I expected as far as counting stats (both will end up somewhere around 30 HR with 100 RBI and 80 runs scored). Moustakas is has a good batting average every other year and this evidently ain’t his year. Seager is tracking to the worst BA of his career. He is not taking any walks, but when he makes contact he seems to be hitting the ball hard and in bad luck (26% hit rate). Maybe another second half performer.

First base has been a swamp for me with Logan Morrison manning the position for most of the year (I had Matt Adams for a while, but used him mainly in the UT role). The position has given me below average power and other counting stats and another below .200 BA. Right now on my roster I have four guys who claim position eligibility at 1B….Morrison, Duda, Chris Davis and Brad Miller hoping someone will give signs of getting hot though I would view “tepid” as an improvement.

In the middle, with Altuve and Andrus I am feeling pretty good especially if they can steal some bags to get me a few more point in SB (not too may available at the league level) at the overall level….even 10 more SB could be as many as 70.0 points, but I admit there are not better options out there and having two guys who so much value is placed on their ability to steal puts me in a bit of a Catch-22.

As an after though, I drafted Jed Lowrie in the 26th round, mainly because it was projected to hit third in a bad line-up. I did not think he would stick at in the three hole, but he has. I did not use him until Andrus got hurt, but he has still given me redemption like value (.289 BA, 13 HR, 52 RBI and 34 runs scored). My original third MI was Cozart, who went down about the time Andrus came back so Lowrie has really be gold. I did not expect Cozart to repeat his contract/career year stats and I was way too right. Getting hurt may have been the best thing he has done for my team, sad as that is to say. Jurickson Profar has been a $21 FA revelation…he can help here (qualifies at SS, is three games away from qualifying at 2B, but also OF, 3B and if he gets seven more games at 1B, will qualify everywhere except catcher). I have had to use him mainly in the OF, but he is certainly been good with counting stats (even some SB!) though his BA is less than .250 for me.

Speaking of OF, other than 1B, this has been my biggest challenge. I have pieced together a few quality AB but it is certainly not a strength. Kris Davis has been good, but I should have drafted Judge. With Souza down, I have used the kitchen sink method for #2 OFer (Profar mainly, but Span, Adams, Heredia, and Gordon too). Souza is hopefully back so maybe this can be more than a placeholder position. Corey Dickerson has been my #3 and early was hot, hit up in the line-up and produced. Lately, the power and production have gone MIA and he is hitting further down in the lineup. I thought this would be Max Kepler’s year to shine. Unless he really turns it around, it is not. Fifth OFer has been a little of everyone starting with Pence, then Profar, Hanson, Frazier, and Heredia. Now it appears Heyward has learned to hit better (over a .300 average over the last couple of weeks) and can be seen batting second for the Cubbies most days (even seeing some lefties). The power is not there, but he is putting up at least a few usable stats. I also took an $11 flyer on Jackie Bradley Jr. Another guy who has hit better over the last couple of weeks. He could play for me this weekend against the weak KC pitching staff.

Not sure how this will play out, but with Arcia sent down and the Brewers showing little love to Perez or Villar, I also picked up Brad Miller ($3). If they give him a few more starts at SS (he needs four, but Saladino is off the DL and will probably get most starts there), Miller could be another supersub for me with regular AB as he already qualifies at 2B and 1B. He is in the lineup for me this week with good results. Overall, I can challenge in RBI’s and HR. I have been slowly moving up in Runs, but there is a gulf waiting for me between 9.0 and 10.0 points. More guys will have to hit further up in their lineups to really make some traction there. I am pretty much swimming against the tide in SB and my target of a team .270 BA is a thing of the past. My team would collectively have to get pretty hot but maybe I can generate four or five more league points there (in a half week, I have already moved up one place…yippee!).

Pitching has been what has allowed me to pace the field, but injuries (Velasquez and now Suter) are piling up. I have gotten Carrasco back (tonight), so that helps, but coming into this week I have gotten steady starts and stats from Carrasco (15), Degrom (17), Porcello (17), Velasquez (12…thinking he may be back from the 10 days next week), old “Give ‘Em Hell for Five” Foltynewicz (14) and Maeda (10). I blogged earlier about the fill-ins, but having six guys with double digit starts is great.

On the closers, Diaz is out of control. I had F-Rod in 2008 and this feels like that. The difference between now and 2008 is I actually have another closer in Allen. Between the two, I am generally keeping up with others in my league using three or more closers. If the goal is to get at least 80% of available points in this category in the overall, I am exceeding that.

Besides Saves, my good fortune has given me good pitching points. Going into this week I had 64.0 available points and a top ten staff for the overall. Tonight I have like four starts so this will tell me if I retain my lofty positon. I am having great luck with K’s (10.1 K Rate), ERA 12.0 points, and WHIP 14.0 points.

So pitching is going to keep me in the game. My bats need to produce more to keep me at the top, but given the competition in this league, it would surprise me very much if any team from my league finishes in a Main Event Overall money position. There are 34 leagues in the Main Event. All things being equal (they are not), most leagues #1 will appear in the top 34. Coming into this week, Andre Bourcier and Richie Czuprynski was the top in the overall in 54th place (1st in my league, though in a virtual tie with Andre and Richie, I was in 65th). Roy Ericson (III) in 74th was the only other in my league in the top 100. Gonna be tight, but I have exactly half my money left (behind only stingy Roy and basically with the sae amount as Marc Perlmutter), so I have the bucks to invest. I have not won any $100+ bids and only placed very few. I have had five winning bids of between $31 and $33 as my highest amounts paid to the FAAB drain. I am typically cheap but honestly I haven’t been fired up by too many available players. Most of the teams are down to $300 or less, so $100 bids may become even scarcer. Except for Roy, who is perched up on his FA money like a dragon waiting for dwarves….

Anyway….light reading. Good luck.
Charles Krauthammer

Edwards Kings

Post by Edwards Kings » Sat Jul 07, 2018 11:20 am

Edwards Kings wrote:
Fri Jul 06, 2018 4:22 pm
Going into this week I had 64.0 available points and a top ten staff for the overall. Tonight I have like four starts so this will tell me if I retain my lofty positon.
Well, in those four starts, 25 IP, 31 K's (10:1 K to BB ratio) 3.600 ERA (thanks to Folty forgetting how to pitch for one inning though the Braves did leave him in for a whole other inning as punishment) and a 0.920 WHIP.

Only one win...

I now have like a 38% win percentage and it should be like 45%, which is like six more wins....hope that turns around....
Charles Krauthammer

Edwards Kings

Post by Edwards Kings » Wed Jul 11, 2018 12:40 pm

Five starts tonight over four games...pucker factor is

Charles Krauthammer

Edwards Kings

Post by Edwards Kings » Thu Jul 12, 2018 5:33 am

OK...five starts, 31.3 IP, 32 K's, 6 Walks, 2.011 ERA, 0.8934 WHIP.....THREE WINS! OK...happy now...

Had old "Five Inning Folty" not given up five runs in the seventh (one through 6 2/3)....gave up the grand salami to Devon Travis of all people...Could have been even better....yes...I am greedy!
Charles Krauthammer

Edwards Kings

Post by Edwards Kings » Sat Jul 14, 2018 6:01 am

Like paying $10 at a garage sale for a Sisley (you liked the frame), how many of these budget friendly players did you land (excluding catchers, who are incapable of being bargains)...no one on this list should have cost $15 and most are well below $10:

Cornermen

Suarez CIN
Aguilar MIL
Martinez STL

MI

Gregorius NYY
Story COL
Lowrie OAK

OF

Choo TEX
Rosario MIN
Haniger SEA
Brantley CLE
Markakis ATL

UT

Cabrera NYM

SP

Morton HOU
Mikolas STL
Foltynewicz ATL
Snell TB
Corbin ARI
Clevinger CLE
Skaggs LAA

CL/Reliever

Kela TEX
Norris STL
Hader MIL

This is just a quickie and I am sure there are more and more deserving. Only a few of these guys would have cost you $10 or more (Gregorius maybe, Rosario, Story). In any regard, if this was your team, you would have left money on the table at an auction.
Charles Krauthammer

Edwards Kings

Post by Edwards Kings » Mon Jul 16, 2018 5:35 am

I always bitch about being unlucky in wins, so it is only fair to say when the flip side occurs....

....Like when I get two wins out of one start pitchers like Carrasco and Maeda who got extras over a combine 1.1 IP....more luck to come?
Charles Krauthammer

Edwards Kings

Post by Edwards Kings » Sun Jul 29, 2018 9:15 am

What do the top six teams in the overall have in common as of last night? All six have top 10% batting and pitching available points. These people...Ryan Atkins, Bradley Libros, Abdul Madani, John Pausma, Mark Srebro (thank goodness this is one of Mark's "other" teams...not the one in the league we have together), and Michael Meehan are having the year we all were planning.

Several others (KC Cha, Jeff Mitseff, and Tyler Jung) are a scarce few points from joining this group.

Special hats off to Ryan Atkins. Leading right now and the only one of these top six with top 10% pitching and batting staffs to have only one Main Event team I believe (unless he is co-owner on some I do not see).

Not a great year for the super user. Of the teams with four or more Main Event Teams (17 owners, 82 teams), only two of the teams seem to have a legitimate chance at overall money. Those two and eight others are the only ones in the top 100 overall.

The sweet spot seems to be about three teams. Nineteen owners have three teams. That is 57 teams total for those who went to schools outside of the SEC. Twenty of those teams are in the top 100 today and I think twelve have a legitimate chance at overall money (say, teams ranked 30th or higher right now).
Charles Krauthammer

Edwards Kings

Post by Edwards Kings » Mon Aug 13, 2018 12:14 pm

Haven’t written much lately. Life gets in the way. Won’t go into that much, but I have had one good turn of fortune. After being ignominiously “de-layered” in April of 2017, I have been contracting. Starting August 20th, I will start full-time with Novelis (I will be responsible for their external reporting and technical accounting). It has been a long time since I have been this fired up about a career move. I think this is going to be a great Company and a great situation for me. It is great to finally have a group that seem to want me, rather than feel like I have topped out against the grey ceiling.

Anyway, baseball.

It is fun watching the saves wrack up for Edwin Diaz. I had F-Rod in 2008 (but had no other closer, so he was basically wasted). Having Diaz this year (my second closer to underperforming Doody Allen) means I haven’t really needed a third closer to get the necessary to get 12.0+ league points. At this stage, I have 13.0 points with a chance at 14.0 since the team with two saves ahead of me has just, like the Dodgers, lost the services of Kenley Jansen. 12.0 is probably my floor as the team right behind me has three less and is only using two closers. Should he catch me, the next place team is eleven saves behind me, so it is unlikely I will slip more than one point. Using only two closers and also being in the top 10% of saves points (tied for 43rd) is totally a product of Diaz. I have little chance, given the extreme competition of my league, to finish in a money spot of the overall, but a couple of extra saves could net me a few more overall points than are available in league points.

With all of the deadline trades and recent injuries, closers du jour are available. Earlier, I picked up Drew Steckenrider. Allen was faltering a bit and I thought Miami might trade Kyle Barraclough. Well, Bear Claw was so bad, Miami had not trade partners. Especially after Cleveland picked up Brad Hand, I thought it best to hold onto a potential closer even on a bad team. But a closer or part a closer committee in Miami is not enough. I picked up another bad team closer, Jose LeClerc. And finally, one of the consequences of Jansen’s irregular heat beat and the relative good health of the Dodger starting staff is that, as I feared when I drafted him, Kenta Maeda has been put in the bullpen. I am guessing Kenta will be a multi-inning bullpen guy, but there is a chance he could get a chance to close over or at least in a committee with Alexander. In any regard, if I did decide to chase some extra saves, I do have options. But should I?

Wins are one reason not to try. In my league, wins are one of the tightest categories. There are five teams who have from 69 to 72 wins. I have 70, and 12.5 points. I can, like saves, pick up a point (or in this case 2.5), but the best chance to do that is with games started. To take a pitcher spot and give it to a closer would cost me at least one start a week. That, if I have quality starting pitching options, could be three or four wins over the course of the rest of the year. But I just lost one of those quality starter options, Maeda. So do I stream lessor options?

Streaming lessor options could have impact on ERA and Whip. By this time in the season, you average stats are pretty well set, at least by league standards. I sit pretty well with a combined 28.0 out of 30.0 possible league points and have maybe 2.0 points at risk unless my pitching staff totally collapses and shits the bed. So adding a third closer would de-risk ERA/Whip, while streaming a seventh starter has at least minimal risk.

My core starters continue to pitch well. Carrasco, Degrom and Foltynewicz. I sat Porcello against the Yankees and started him against Toronto…oops…but overall Porcello has been solid. If Maeda were still starting, I would have five guys I would just plug in every week the rest of the way. But Maeda is in the bullpen. In his place I will use Joe Musgrove. I was really high on him going into March and I used some of my remaining free agent muscle to pick him up when he became available recently. He had two good starts for me last week and given Pittsburgh is playing pretty good baseball still (three games over .500), he could be a solid asset for me though his K-Rate is down a bit from where he was earlier.

So that is five, which is pretty good, but I am greedy. My sixth is probably Vince Velasquez. Another pitcher a team playing good ball and tied with the eventual winner in the NL, the Braves. But Velasquez carries risk as I found out on June 8th against the Brewers (10 ER which is the primary contributor to his 3.98 ERA) but in general he has been pretty good with great K’s and a three to one K/BB rate.

Is is this combo of six starters and one closer having a record year that is the reason I am currently tied (with Bradly Libros) for the best pitching staff in the Main. Nowhere to go but down but solid enough to not drop too far barring several critical injuries. And if I think Wins are tight in my league, I am tied with 26 other teams for 70th place with another 12 teams one win back.

Based on this, the greatest risk regarding pitching Main Event points in pitching is Wins. This week, I picked up Angel Felix Pena who had two recent decent stats in Cleveland and against Oakland, both good teams. This week Pena is in San Diego, a team that has sucked hind tit batting overall, at home and against right-handers, so his is definitely my sixth.

So do I go with a seventh pitcher in Velasquez…at home…against Boston? Or do I go with LeClerc as a third closers? Damn if I know….

I do not know at this writing how Touki Toussaint’s outing today will go against the Marlins, but I saw him in Gwinnett against the Norfolk Tides. When I saw Mike Soroka pitch, my best thought was this guy was ready. For Touki, not so much. He has three pitches, but not an ideal blend. He has a good, live moving fast ball (low 90’s but appeared able to gas up to the mid-90’s), but when I saw him he could not find the plate with it. Usually his pitch to lead off a batter, he had very few first pitch strikes. He did not give up much hard contact against it, but then again he did not blow it by many. His best pitch is a multiplane break curve which comes in at 77-78 MPH. Truly a major league pitch. If his fast ball can find the zip code of the plate, the two pitches will augment each other well. His third pitch was a change-up which came in at the same speed as the curve. I am not sure the break of the curve is enough of a differentiator to the change-up to make it too useful at the major league level. Would love it if he had a nice low to mid-80’s offering, if not a slider, maybe a cut fastball or just something else to go between the good fastball and the great curve. Also, of the scouts sitting around me, they seemed more interested in the Tides pitcher Ortiz (i.e. they had the gun out on Ortiz) than they were in Toussaint.

Not ready for primetime.
Charles Krauthammer

Bronx Yankees

Post by Bronx Yankees » Tue Aug 14, 2018 12:02 pm

Wayne - Nothing to really add re baseball, but congratulations on the new position! Good luck with your teams the rest of the way.

Mike
Mike Mager
"Bronx Yankees"

Edwards Kings

Post by Edwards Kings » Tue Aug 14, 2018 1:20 pm

Bronx Yankees wrote:
Tue Aug 14, 2018 12:02 pm
Wayne - Nothing to really add re baseball, but congratulations on the new position! Good luck with your teams the rest of the way.

Mike
Thanks Mike! You too....
Charles Krauthammer

Edwards Kings

Post by Edwards Kings » Tue Aug 14, 2018 1:39 pm

"Braves RHP prospect Kyle Wright hurled seven shutout innings on Monday for Triple-A Gwinnett.

Wright allowed just one hit and one walk, and he fanned eight. The fifth pick of the 2017 draft, Wright has now posted a 2.89 ERA in his three starts at the Triple-A level, with a strong 19/6 K/BB ratio over 18 2/3 innings. The 22-year-old right-hander can miss bats with four pitches, and his command gets better every year. There's an outside shot he sees time with Atlanta in 2018, and he should be a part of the Atlanta rotation at this point in 2019."

Saw this game last night. Was not all that economical with his pitches, especially early on. Didn't start really racking up first pitch strikes until the third and fourth innings. That said, didn't give up his first hit until there were two out in the fifth. That and one walk was all the Louisville Bats got off of him. Quite a few fly ball outs, but only one or two were enough to make the outfielders get their cleats dirty on the warning track.

I was not paying as much attention to inning six or seven (had Folty and DeGrom going last night and both were on in "Niekro's" at the stadium, so I was popping in and out). What I was seeing was a guy living off his fastball (reasonable...92-93 with good/great movement). Has three other pitches but last night (early at least) was working the slider (another plus offering...80-81 mph with nice break) and change-up (83-84 mph...major league ready, but maybe not plus). Saw a few curves (75-76) so would love to see him in a game where he uses it more.

What are the Commodores putting in the water in Nashville. One year removed from college. A whopping nine games last year in two A ball levels. Started this year in AA and already in AAA. Nice repeatable motion, three-quarter delivery. He is going to be in the majors next year for the Braves, if not out of spring training, then pretty soon. The only thing holding him back will be the names like Soroka, Allard, Gohara...
Charles Krauthammer

Edwards Kings

Post by Edwards Kings » Wed Aug 15, 2018 7:56 pm

WOW....just WOW!

At the Gwinnett Stip"p"ers game tonight. Bryse Wilson (20 years old) pitched tonight. 98 pitches through 8.0 IP...72 strikes! In the first inning...9 pitches, three pitches per batter, all fast balls, two K's and one weak ground out. The Louisville Bats had to know the fastball was coming and could do nothing with it. I stopped counting after the seventh inning, but had 17 first pitch strikes out of 21 batters faced. Only one hit through eight and that one was erased on a fourth inning ending double play. The book on him is plus fastball, slider and work in progress change-up. I will say he lived on the fastball. Solid mid-90's offering and generated a lot of swing and miss. Used the fastball pretty much exclusively the first three innings. Then some sliders. Not sure I saw a change-up, but I was so busy tracking balls/strikes/first pitch strikes I could have missed some.

Totally in control. Whatever you have read about his control, tonight it was better. I think through the first five IP, he had two full counts. No walks.

Not some skinny kid that will have to grow into his body either. Solid. Had trouble with HR his first couple of AAA games, but more ground-outs than fly outs tonight. Did I mention he ended up with 13 K's tonight? Broke the previous Braves minor league record held by....Charlie Morton.

Man...man...man...next spring training is going to be fun.....
Last edited by Edwards Kings on Sun Aug 19, 2018 6:02 am, edited 1 time in total.
Charles Krauthammer

Edwards Kings

Post by Edwards Kings » Sun Aug 19, 2018 5:59 am

So I am a Charter Member of the NFBC. Now 15 years old. Fifteen seasons. Fifteen March/April's to September/Octobers. Never....never have I had a week like this on for starting pitchers. I went with six starters...eight starts. A bit of a gamble only starting six. In a dogfight for wins and if I have a hope to win my league it will be on my pitching as my batters, with no speed and no BA, is barely average.

Eight starts...none for Sunday so last nights three are the final starts for this week.

Never had this kind of week. Averaged just over 7 IP in those eight starts...only one pitcher, streamer Felix Pena, didn't complete the seventh inning (6.0 IP). Eight starts, eight "quality" starts, except in this case, really quality. One pitcher gave up 2 earned runs (DeGrom in one of his two starts), three pitchers gave up one earned runs (Folty in one of his starts, Porcello, and Musgrove last night...the only earned run between him, Folty and DeGrom both in their second starts of the week). The other four starts...zero earned runs. Five earned runs total for the week for my starters.

A 10.5 K/9 IP...67 K's in 57 2/3 IP. Only 10 walks (four by Pena, three by Folty in his first start) for a 6.7:1 K to walk ration. A 57.2% hit to IP ratio.

Never, never, never. Could easily have had a win in all eight starts, but will have to "settle" for six. Because of this week, I am in the lead or tied for the lead in four of the five pitching categories in my league (second in saves). Rarefied air.

Win my league or not, I know this is in all likelihood to be the high point for my pitching staff. Given the phenomenal average categories and my K lead I should not fall far, but down is just about the only way to go. There will be some tough starts....blow-ups...and streamers are getting thin. But for right now, my pitching staff "...HEY MA! Top of the world....!"

Charles Krauthammer

Bigperl

Post by Bigperl » Sun Aug 19, 2018 6:53 am

Hi Wayne. Wishing you good luck with your new job, and also a league title! Best. Marc

Edwards Kings

Post by Edwards Kings » Sun Aug 19, 2018 1:12 pm

Bigperl wrote:
Sun Aug 19, 2018 6:53 am
Hi Wayne. Wishing you good luck with your new job, and also a league title! Best. Marc
Thanks a bunch, Marc! Weird how excited I am about getting back out in Atlanta rush hour traffic again!
Charles Krauthammer

Edwards Kings

Post by Edwards Kings » Sat Sep 22, 2018 2:00 pm

FOLTY WINS! FOLTY WINS! FOLTY WINS! Oh yeah...Braves win the East....FOLTY WINS!

Charles Krauthammer