NY - Good, Bad &_the_Ugly

Gordon Gekko

NY - Good, Bad &_the_Ugly

Post by Gordon Gekko » Mon Mar 19, 2007 11:48 am

The Good...

1. Meeting "new" people (sorry if I leave anyone out)...Baggler, Fireballs, Spyhunter, Nutty Scrat, Jim Young, Marty

2. Seeing "old" people (sorry if I leave anyone out)...KoQ, Pete, Edelman, Poopy

3. No excessive drinking by GG

4. I drafted competitive teams

5. Tom was a very generous host AND managed everything VERY well both Friday & Saturday given the "weather" circumstances. good job tom

The Bad...

Friday night auction

1. we had one guy who couldn't make it and had to phone in :( . of course the participants who actually risked life and limb to make it there in person couldn't plug in their laptops. the guy who phoned it in said he was using a laptop, and that he didn't have it plugged in either. SURE HE DIDN'T!?! in a situation like that (in a single league), wouldn't it make sense to allow everyone to plug in during the draft cause the guy at home is most likely doing it? why should he get a potential benefit?

2. the auctioneer was a great guy and had fun with the league...which was a nice surprise. BUT, he took too much time handling the bids and had to kick it in overdrive for us to finish BEFORE 11pm (we started at 4pm). :mad: :mad: . in addition, the phone in situation caused some delays too. no more phone auctions for GG. i've done two of them, and BOTH took WAY too long.

The Ugly

1. The weather

2. I couldn't stay in the city saturday night and enjoy the nightlife with Tom & crew

3. Saturday Main Event

A. the tables were still too close together. i could literally hear EVERY pick being made in the draft right behind me. i could hear picks being made by other leagues around me as well.

B. for whatever reason, the facilitator for my league didn't want to get up from his chair that often because he was putting stickers on the "mini-board", so subsequently, I and other had to YELL our picks to our facilitator!!! this is no BS. I was YELLING my picks, and my facilitator still couldn't hear them and made me RE-YELL them!! i'm sure the other leagues around us could hear all those picks as well.

C. i was told that in one league multiple owners on one side of the table ALL thought that Howie Kendrick was picked because they heard his name selected. trouble was that it was for the league behind them. subsequently, Kendrick was picked in like the 9th round in this league, and when his name was called, 4-5 owners said "WTF, we thought he was gone!!!"

IMO, A/B/C are unacceptable after 4 years. i know that there is a push to have all the leagues draft in a single room, but there has to be a better way of making your picks without it sounding like a zoo and affecting drafts.

again, these are my thoughts (both good and bad). please chime in if you have any feedback/comments.

[ March 19, 2007, 05:52 PM: Message edited by: Gordon Gekko ]