Fantasy Rookie, rate my team? help a Dyv out?

Dyv

Post by Dyv » Sun Mar 18, 2007 6:06 pm

Chicago #4, 1st pick:

(bench in parenthesis)

C: McCann, Napoli (Mathis)

1b: Pujols (Scott Hatteberg)

2b: I. Kinsler

SS: K. Greene

3b: Chipper Jones

2/s: Marcus Giles

1/3: Eric Chavez

OF: Abreu, JD Drew, Matthews Jr., Joey Gathright, Shawn Green (Termell Sledge, Emil Brown, Joe Borchard)

Util: Blalock

SP: Zambrano, Halladay, Lilly (Prior)

RP: Saito, Lidge, Pineiro, M. Gonzalez, Tankersley (McClung, K. Wood)

In all seriousness, I'm fresh off a sabbatical of not playing fantasy sports for about a year - not quite a rookie, but you can call me a born again fantasy gamer ;)

Comments appreciated,

Dyv
Just Some Guy

bjoak

Post by bjoak » Sun Mar 18, 2007 6:15 pm

Hey Dyv, nice to see you around. Good team but concerns of offensive injuries abound and I'm not sure how I feel about the short on starters strategy, especially if Zambrano and Lilly fail to give you an outstanding ERA. What are your thoughts behind this approach? Nice bench!
Chance favors the prepared mind.

Dyv

Post by Dyv » Sun Mar 18, 2007 6:23 pm

Originally posted by bjoak:

Hey Dyv, nice to see you around. Good team but concerns of offensive injuries abound and I'm not sure how I feel about the short on starters strategy, especially if Zambrano and Lilly fail to give you an outstanding ERA. What are your thoughts behind this approach? Nice bench! Heya Brian - long time no see ;)

I'm pretty confident I can rotate in long relievers or pickup spot starters (even 2 start spot starters) to generate a little oomf if I need to... or maybe Prior tosses 20 starts in sprinkled at a decent rate for the year? A few things could work in my favor. I've got this starting 9 projected at 1047 K's - a little rotation or maybe getting lucky and even backing off relievers if enough of this crazy crew pops... should get me more like the 1155 or so I think I need.

Offensive injuries are a fact of life - I've got most of these old duffers factored in to miss a week here and there - not forecasting 550 at bats, but more like 480-500 and if I can squeeze in a sub for them that week I'll be even better off. Subbing mid week lets me get away with this....

I'd rather take a FA SP with a good matchup than a mediocre guy who can park his 4.59 ERA on my roster for the whole year. Injuries to those SP would really hurt though....

[ March 19, 2007, 12:25 AM: Message edited by: Dyv ]
Just Some Guy

Quahogs

Post by Quahogs » Mon Mar 19, 2007 2:31 am

I would mine for some OF early so you can sleep nights, specifically speed OF's since sb's look light. (pray hard for a dejesus injury ;) ) Great pitching anchors, you can always fill in the blanks during the year. Those closers will either get you 200 k's or be out a job come july. You feel lucky punk ??? :D Their success could make or break you.

Q

Spyhunter

Post by Spyhunter » Mon Mar 19, 2007 3:14 am

I agree with Quahogs. Offense looks pretty good but you have some risk in your offense as you are counting on guys like Blaylock and Chavez improving which is not a bad bet, but you have too many guys like that for me.

You have a good core of SPs and I am sure you can mine for a few more to emerge like John Maine did last year so that wasn't an issue.

Anyway, nice to see you back,

Good luck!

Spy

cribgusto

Post by cribgusto » Mon Mar 19, 2007 5:39 am

Comments? Your personal hygiene needs work and Michigan sucks.

Team-wise: As with most teams, could use some speed and I also fear playing the SP match game all season. That leads to SP getting shutouts against the Yankees and getting killed by the Royals.

On the whole, above average, which is what we've come to expect from Dyv.

Greg Ambrosius

Post by Greg Ambrosius » Mon Mar 19, 2007 5:47 am

That team would have looked better if it had been drafted in Las Vegas!! :D I trust we'll see ya out here in Sin City down the road my friend, right?

Great job and stay in touch.
Greg Ambrosius
Founder, National Fantasy Baseball Championship
General Manager, Consumer Fantasy Games at SportsHub Technologies
Twitter - @GregAmbrosius

bjoak

Post by bjoak » Mon Mar 19, 2007 5:55 am

He was ducking me and Kenyon. ;)

DOUGHBOYS

Post by DOUGHBOYS » Mon Mar 19, 2007 6:14 am

Originally posted by bjoak:

He was ducking me and Kenyon. ;) Dammit Brian, I looked for you in Vegas, I had a drink ticket for you, we'll carry on the tradition next year .

DYV, so good to see your name spring up again, come back to Vegas next year, we'll do a reunion league.
On my tombstone-
Wait! I never had the perfect draft!

bjoak

Post by bjoak » Mon Mar 19, 2007 7:41 am

Originally posted by DOUGHBOYS:

quote:Originally posted by bjoak:

He was ducking me and Kenyon. ;) Dammit Brian, I looked for you in Vegas, I had a drink ticket for you, we'll carry on the tradition next year .

DYV, so good to see your name spring up again, come back to Vegas next year, we'll do a reunion league.
[/QUOTE]Yeah, I had an eye out for you also but I didn't know what league you were in. The problem with being in league 1 was I never thought to look down the list and see where anyone was. I was there early but I was pretty busy getting set up. Then the bartender said he was going to fold up his show at around 2 ("I need to get drunk too" were his exact words) and my league finished early so I darted out of there pretty fast this year. The post-draft is a lot more fun when the weather does not facillitate a mass exodus to the pool.

Next year my goal is to successfully plan an event the night before for people who want to go out for dinner or a drink on Friday night. So you all have a one year notice. Clear out some time for the 2008 Vegas Friday night.

Karch Adonis

Post by Karch Adonis » Mon Mar 19, 2007 11:15 am

Originally posted by Greg Ambrosius:

That team would have looked better if it had been drafted in Las Vegas!! :D I trust we'll see ya out here in Sin City down the road my friend, right?

Great job and stay in touch. I second that - NFXC events in Vegas are just not the same without the man we call "L B S Divvy" (You making bets with Mr Loaf over your Packer Receiving corps a couple years ago is still one of our fondest draft day memories.)

Hope to see you in Vegas for NFFC

Karch Adonis (faithful sidekick of Jack Lyons and soon to be pictured holding one end of this years Big Cardboard Check)
Courage, it couldn't come at a worse time.