Snow in NYC

viper

Snow in NYC

Post by viper » Sun Mar 18, 2007 5:02 am

I didn't sign up for the NYC draft for the first time due to prior commitments.

With all the weather around the city, I am curious if everyone made it or if a few surrogate drafter were used.

[ March 18, 2007, 11:03 AM: Message edited by: viper ]

Scans33

Snow in NYC

Post by Scans33 » Sun Mar 18, 2007 9:54 am

Most NYC leagues had 14 or 15 owners present I believe ... a few leagues including mine (NY 7) had one owner drafting via phone. There was no adverse impact at all - in fact, I didn't realize someone was drafting via phone until after a few rounds.

Overall, the weather was much better on Saturday morning than Friday afternoon/night. :D

As an aside, I loved the Javits Center - definitely an upgrade over the Sheraton. Hopefully the Javits Center will be the permanent NY locale.
Chin Music
NY 7

IRS

Snow in NYC

Post by IRS » Sun Mar 18, 2007 11:42 am

A couple people showed up in my league about 5 minutes prior to the draft. Funny thing though was the guys at #8, whom were there in plenty of time, weren't around when their pick came about. It worked out really well for me at #10, because by the time they came back #11 had already picked and #8's first words were "Miguel Cabrera".....soory, he was gone at #10. :D
We have what it takes to take what you have!

devilznj

Snow in NYC

Post by devilznj » Sun Mar 18, 2007 12:16 pm

Viper -

Weather cleared early AM after predictions of freezing rain into the late morning proved wrong. I drive from Northern NJ and the most difficult part of my trip was getting out of my street. Highways were clear and the ferry was great ($7 to park, $12 round trip on the ferry).

Our league had one owner that did not show. When the draft started we were told that they would draft for him based on the Fantasy Sports Magazine rankings. After a number of rounds they apparently established phone contact and that owner made his selections. This did not disrupt the draft in any form - just sucked for that owner.

The Javits Center was much more spacious than the Hilton. Our facilitators worked very hard and overall did a good job. The one frustrating part was I was planning on grabbing some lunch there as I was told there was a big food court. There was a very nice food court - BUT IT WAS CLOSED. So we munched on the chips and cookies that were provided and survived.

Overall a good job and would have no problems coming back to the Javits Center next year.
Happy Recap

Top Dawg

Snow in NYC

Post by Top Dawg » Sun Mar 18, 2007 12:38 pm

Getting to the auction Friday was not too bad. I left central Jersey early and got there 3 hours before the start. Nothing to eat there but snacks from one vendor open for business.

Getting back to the hotel Friday night was much worse. Route 3 in Jersey basically had lanes that were formed by cars cutting through 4-5 inches of snow and ice. That made changing lanes a challenge to say the least. Yet overall, I still had a GREAT time.

Saturday was a piece of cake.

Pete
OK - So I'm not as good as I thought I was; but at least I am consistent.

kgrady

Snow in NYC

Post by kgrady » Sun Mar 18, 2007 4:04 pm

I am in NY-7. We had one owner on the phone; the rest of us were there. The Javits Center is a fine location, but I would advise bringing a bagged lunch or eating before you get there. They definitely get into the ballpark spirit of things when it comes to concession prices. $3.75 for a hot pretzel!
"Fear ... that's the other guy's problem!" - Lewis Winthorpe (Dan Akroyd) from Trading Places

viper

Snow in NYC

Post by viper » Mon Mar 19, 2007 12:52 am

we drafted there in year one. I recall there was just one stand outside where we drafted with sodas and chips - no real food. We were in the lower level way down on the left as you entered. It was real noisy too but spacious.