Johan Santana - First Round Blunder?

King of Queens

Post by King of Queens » Sun Mar 18, 2007 5:16 pm

Had a lot of fun with the guys in my "corner" of the table. Team Quebecois informed us of every Canadian major leaguer, and more importantly, which of these were French-Canadian. All in all, a great day.

rmaysey

Post by rmaysey » Sun Mar 18, 2007 9:17 pm

Very interesting thread--we debated this long and hard the night before the draft, as we were also drafting in the 5 slot. We ended up taking Johann, and were very worried about our offense and speed going forward. Here is hour our team shook out:

P J. Santana

P. J. Peavy

P. R. Harden

P. A. Reyes

P. A. Loewen

P. G. Meche

P. J. Valverde

P. S. McClung

P. J. Broxton

P. B. Howry

P. Tankersly

P. Otsuka

C Montero

C. J. Buck

1B M. Jacobs

2b J. Lugo

3b A. Gordon

SS E. Renteria

MI S. Drew

CI E. Chavez

UT BJ Upton

OF Abreu

OF Sheffield

OF Markakis

OF J. Damon

OF Sosa

Bench:

A. Marte

R. Garko

M. Kemp

Willy Mo Pena

freddiezee

Post by freddiezee » Sun Mar 18, 2007 11:55 pm

Maysey,

I can see what you mean. Your SP is amazing. Maybe passing on Peavy for one more big bat would have alleviated some of your worries and you still would have had great SP. But, if you can nab some more young hitters with your $1000, you P are good enough to take you far.

I think maybe the common theme in all these Santana posts is that if you take him #1, you WILL worry about hitting, so you have to take hitters with at least your next 3, and maybe your next 4 picks. Since most teams take a pitcher somewhere in the first 4-5 rounds, at that point you should have pretty much caught up.