New York Plan is that there IS NO PLAN

devilznj

Post by devilznj » Fri Mar 16, 2007 10:31 am

Things are becoming VERY SERIOUS for those of us that must drive into the city tonight/tomorrow. Snow and inconvenience is no big deal, but we are now in the middle of an ice storm that looks like it will continue throught the night and morning.

Last report in Northern NJ was that accidents are happening at a rate of 200 per hour. There is absolutely nothing you can do on ice - I don't care what you're driving.

This literally may come down to deciding if you want to risk life and limb (and your car insurance rates) to attempt the trip to the Javits Center.

If there is absolutely no way the time can be changed, I think it may be necessary to look at emergency options (phone/mock central)in the future. What if Tampa got hit with a tornado the day of the draft? What if Chicago got hit with what we are getting hit with today? What if Las Vegas ran out of alcohol the day of the draft? (Just kidding, this is getting too depressing.)

Things do happen, and no matter how slim the chance, there has to be some contingency plan just in case. Looks like there is no such plan.

Good luck to everyone in this situation. You may have to make a $1,300 decision in the next few hours.
Happy Recap

The Maine Thread

Post by The Maine Thread » Fri Mar 16, 2007 11:17 am

It is terrible out there! My wife and I left from Central Maine this morning at 6:45am. Didn't start snowing till approx 1pm. But it took us over 3 hours to make the trip from Hartford, CT to Waterbury, CT.

That's about a 30 mile stretch. After sitting 1/2 mile from the Naugatuk exit for what seemed like eternity,

I spotted a Hampton Inn on our right. We got off the freeway and didn't leave our room. Hopefully the drive in the morning will be a bit better. But still plan on gettting up very early.

Hope you all make it safely!!

[ March 16, 2007, 06:31 PM: Message edited by: The Maine Thread ]
We do custom Embroidery at affordable prices! Call us today 207-525-4527

Quahogs

Post by Quahogs » Fri Mar 16, 2007 11:49 am

Originally posted by devilznj:

Things are becoming VERY SERIOUS for those of us that must drive into the city tonight/tomorrow. Snow and inconvenience is no big deal, but we are now in the middle of an ice storm that looks like it will continue throught the night and morning.

Last report in Northern NJ was that accidents are happening at a rate of 200 per hour. There is absolutely nothing you can do on ice - I don't care what you're driving.

This literally may come down to deciding if you want to risk life and limb (and your car insurance rates) to attempt the trip to the Javits Center.

If there is absolutely no way the time can be changed, I think it may be necessary to look at emergency options (phone/mock central)in the future. What if Tampa got hit with a tornado the day of the draft? What if Chicago got hit with what we are getting hit with today? What if Las Vegas ran out of alcohol the day of the draft? (Just kidding, this is getting too depressing.)

Things do happen, and no matter how slim the chance, there has to be some contingency plan just in case. Looks like there is no such plan.

Good luck to everyone in this situation. You may have to make a $1,300 decision in the next few hours. devilz, you may want to find your closest NJTransit train station. There's a schedule online and they at least operate in this crap. Train station parking while full weekdays are generally empty weekends. It'll pale in comparison to just hopping in your car but at least your limbs and low ins will still be intact. Good luck everyone.

Q

Diesel

Post by Diesel » Fri Mar 16, 2007 12:01 pm

I'm usually an NFFC ONLY participant, but I thought I'd check these boards out to see how the NFBC draft is going tomorrow.

To all who may be driving to NY...I just drove from Morris Park ave. (Bronx) to Huguenot Ave. (Staten Island)...It usually takes an hour to do, but tonight it took 2 1/2 hours. It is slippery and the traffic is ridiculous, but if you just ride the middle lane and coast, you'll be fine. Let everyone else drive like a nut in the left lane and drive like an old nanny in the right lane.

Quahogs and Gekko, I'm working tomorrow in the Bronx. I'll call you guys tomorrow after work. If it's possible to get from the Bronx to Manhattan when I get off work, I'll meet you guys at the Javitz. If I can't make it and you guys end up going out later Saturday night, maybe I can meet up with you then. Good Luck fellas, and safe driving to everyone.

headhunters

Post by headhunters » Fri Mar 16, 2007 12:45 pm

the people in tampa will be happy to know that one storm in ny= 1 tornado in tampa. as far as chicago goes the tollways would be clear by 8am tomorrow. greg could probably drive from wisconsin tomorrow and leave at 6am and make it in plenty of time. except he is in las vegas where it is sunny and 90

Red Sox Nation

Post by Red Sox Nation » Fri Mar 16, 2007 4:35 pm

TAKE THE TRAIN!! THE SHOW MUST GO ON!!
2004 NYY "The Greatest Choke in the History of Sports"

King of Queens

Post by King of Queens » Fri Mar 16, 2007 4:52 pm

Originally posted by Diesel:

To all who may be driving to NY...I just drove from Morris Park ave. (Bronx) to Huguenot Ave. (Staten Island)...It usually takes an hour to do, but tonight it took 2 1/2 hours. Think you could have made it to M&T Bank Stadium in 3 hours today? ;)

bjoak

Post by bjoak » Fri Mar 16, 2007 8:25 pm

What if Las Vegas ran out of alcohol the day of the draft? (Just kidding, this is getting too depressing.)

No, no, this is really a serious problem. Apparently they have run out of beer from every micro-brew. That's right, you're going to have to invest in an awful lot Miller Lite's if you plan on getting buzzed. Also, vodka is not the answer as you'll never get more than an ounce in any one drink, and I'm not sure what they're pouring but it's sure as s not Kettle One. Also, there is no distinction between cranberry juice and cranberry juice *cocktail.*

What am I talking about? This is a great time! How is it in NY???!!!
Chance favors the prepared mind.

Tom Kessenich

Post by Tom Kessenich » Sat Mar 17, 2007 1:22 am

Originally posted by devilznj:

Good luck to everyone in this situation. You may have to make a $1,300 decision in the next few hours. As I posted on Thursday night we DO have a plan in place but if anyone is still on the boards and you run into any problems PLEASE call me as soon as possible today. My number again is 917 538-0029.

So yes, we do have a backup plan in place for today in New York but it depends on you contacting me should the need arise. Thanks and safe travel to everyone making the trek to the Javits today.
Tom Kessenich
Manager of High Stakes Fantasy Games, SportsHub Technologies
Twitter - @TomKessenich