SNOW ALERT IN NYC FOR FRIDAY

Mark

Post by Mark » Thu Mar 15, 2007 2:28 am

How I am posting this on March 16th is beyond belief. However, the national weather service has a Winter Storm Warning for Friday as a 'Noreaster' is going to drop 4-6 inches in NYC and more snow north and west.

Any thoughts what we do if the weather makes it impossible to travel??

Mark

Hangtown

Post by Hangtown » Thu Mar 15, 2007 2:47 am

Originally posted by Mark:

How I am posting this on March 16th is beyond belief. However, the national weather service has a Winter Storm Warning for Friday as a 'Noreaster' is going to drop 4-6 inches in NYC and more snow north and west.

Mark Vegas Baby, Vegas...
It's what you learn after you know it all that counts.

Dan

Hangtown

Post by Hangtown » Thu Mar 15, 2007 2:53 am

Sorry That's probably insensitive of me.

I live in an area where snow is a problem, just give yourself plenty of time and you'll be alright.
It's what you learn after you know it all that counts.

Dan

Nutty Scrats

Post by Nutty Scrats » Thu Mar 15, 2007 4:00 am

Mark Snow dogs! LOL
Ed

Edwards Kings

Post by Edwards Kings » Thu Mar 15, 2007 5:08 am

I have no problem being insensitive...Tampa is looking better and better! :cool:
Baseball is a slow, boring, complex, cerebral game that doesn't lend itself to histrionics. You 'take in' a baseball game, something odd to say about a football or basketball game, with the clock running and the bodies flying.
Charles Krauthammer

hankstr

Post by hankstr » Thu Mar 15, 2007 6:29 am

Flying into NYC from Raleigh on Friday night. We do need some contigency plans if flights are cancelled.

Hank

Paperboys

Post by Paperboys » Thu Mar 15, 2007 6:53 am

Originally posted by hankstr:

Flying into NYC from Raleigh on Friday night. We do need some contigency plans if flights are cancelled.

Hank Better start making those reservations with Hertz. Could be a long night driving up to NYC in the snow.

Quahogs

Post by Quahogs » Thu Mar 15, 2007 6:57 am

Hank hopefully all will turn out fine. In case of any extreme circumstance where numerous teams are missing per league...( and I'm not aware of the logistics behind this but ) 1 laptop per league with internet access would do the trick. If airports are closed etc then the onus is on those teams to have internet access to a chat room where the monitors would update the draft as it occurs.

Three, four teams missing per league would have the same information and make their picks the same way. Yes it would be a bit slower but considering the circumstances...

Q

Chest Rockwell

Post by Chest Rockwell » Thu Mar 15, 2007 6:58 am

Hank I would try to get on an earlier flight- airlines are usually pretty accomodating, but I would do it quickly as others will have the same idea.

In a worst case fly in to a surrounding area that is open and rent a car.

Next worse case what is that about a 12 hour drive from Raleigh probably not even that much.

They are serious as a heart attack about this thing starting on time. Unfortunately for you most New York guys are local so they will not have some of the same issues you do, and then a lot of them get there today b/c of the auctions tomorrow.

poopy tooth

Post by poopy tooth » Thu Mar 15, 2007 7:24 am

Hank,

If you need to switch, you can try flying into Newark. They have a monorail that brings you right to train stop. Train from there to NYC is about 30 minutes. (Plus wait time for train to arrive...should be at least 2 per hour)

Just a thought if you need an option. We are in either main event or Ultamite together. I'm sure it will work out. See you there.

duggan

Post by duggan » Thu Mar 15, 2007 7:26 am

sorry about that snow thing, here in tampa it's 80 and catching a spring training game, then i might go to the beach and check out the thongs......next year guys, think about it
THINGS ARE NEVER SO BAD THEY CAN'T BE MADE WORSE---HUMPHREY BOGART

hankstr

Post by hankstr » Thu Mar 15, 2007 7:48 am

Tampa is looking a lot better!. I went with NYC this year so could compete in Ultimate draft as well. I think if NYC travel gets blocked on Friday we will have to have some telephone connections. I am sure I'm not the only one flying in on Friday. I sent emails to both Tom and Greg. I know they are traveling now but hopefully will respond tonight.

King of Queens

Post by King of Queens » Thu Mar 15, 2007 8:19 am

Originally posted by Chest Rockwell:

Next worse case what is that about a 12 hour drive from Raleigh probably not even that much. I drove from Charlotte to New York in 10.5 hours last month. From Raleigh, you're looking at around 8 hours. Not terrible.

hankstr

Post by hankstr » Thu Mar 15, 2007 8:27 am

That would be a drive in optimal conditions. The winter storm looks like it could even start late tonight. I'd rather do a phone hookup than get stranded somewhere, unable to complete the drive. Not being able to see the draft board is a disadvantage, (tough to see any unusual strategies unfold), but we may just have to make do.

Nutty Scrats

Post by Nutty Scrats » Thu Mar 15, 2007 8:52 am

Mark Maybe try Philly or Newark as alternate possibilities and then rent a car or catch a train into the city. I think the snow is suppose to be over by late Friday night. Just some thoughts on different alteratives. Best of luck getting in!
Ed

Nutty Scrats

Post by Nutty Scrats » Thu Mar 15, 2007 8:57 am

Here is the weather report for the New York City area from the National Weather Service:

/O.UPG.KOKX.WS.A.0003.070316T0900Z- 070317T1200Z/ /O.NEW.KOKX.WS.W. 0002.070316T0900Z-070317T1200Z/ NORTHERN MIDDLESEX-SOUTHERN FAIRFIELD- SOUTHERN NEW HAVEN-BERGEN- EASTERN PASSAIC-ESSEX-HUDSON-UNION-SOUTHERN WESTCHESTER- NEW YORK (MANHATTAN)- BRONX-RICHMOND (STATEN ISLAND)- KINGS (BROOKLYN)-QUEENS-NASSAU-NORTHWESTERN SUFFOLK- 416 PM EDT THU MAR 15 2007

...WINTER STORM WARNING IN EFFECT FROM 5 AM FRIDAY TO 8 AM EDT SATURDAY... ... WINTER STORM WATCH NO LONGER IN EFFECT...

THE NATIONAL WEATHER SERVICE IN UPTON HAS ISSUED A WINTER STORM WARNING... WHICH IS IN EFFECT FROM 5 AM FRIDAY TO 8 AM EDT SATURDAY. THE WINTER STORM WATCH IS NO LONGER IN EFFECT.

RAIN WILL CHANGE TO A MIXTURE OF SLEET AND SNOW AFTER MIDNIGHT... EVENTUALLY TURNING TO ALL SNOW LATE. ONLY LIGHT SNOW AND SLEET ACCUMULATIONS ARE EXPECTED BY FRIDAY MORNING...BUT HAZARDOUS DRIVING CONDITIONS ARE EXPECTED TO DEVELOP FOR THE EARLY FRIDAY MORNING COMMUTE AS TEMPERATURES FALL BELOW FREEZING. A MODERATE TO OCCASIONALLY HEAVY SNOW IS EXPECTED TO DEVELOP FRIDAY AFTERNOON AND CONTINUE INTO FRIDAY NIGHT. THE SNOW MAY MIX WITH SLEET AND FREEZING RAIN FRIDAY NIGHT...AND MAY TURN OVER TO ALL SLEET AND FREEZING RAIN FOR A PERIOD FRIDAY NIGHT. TOTAL ACCUMULATIONS OF SNOW AND SLEET WILL RANGE FROM 6 TO 10 INCHES WITH LOCALLY HIGHER AMOUNTS NORTH AND WEST OF NEW YORK CITY BEFORE ACCUMULATING SNOW ENDS SATURDAY MORNING.

A WINTER STORM WARNING MEANS SIGNIFICANT AMOUNTS OF SNOW... SLEET... AND ICE ARE EXPECTED OR OCCURRING. STRONG WINDS ARE ALSO POSSIBLE. THIS WILL MAKE TRAVEL VERY HAZARDOUS OR IMPOSSIBLE.

[ March 15, 2007, 04:53 PM: Message edited by: Nutty Scrat ]
Ed

poopy tooth

Post by poopy tooth » Thu Mar 15, 2007 9:24 am

Hank,

I'm sitting next to you in Ultamite (picking 3rd) so if you could go ahead and let me know who you plan on taking second, I'll let you know who I will take third

Seriously, if you have to call in and it takes a little time to catch up, I don't have aproblem with it. Hope you are able to make it though. Drafts are always more fun in person.

I used to live in NC (Wilmington) and have been to Raleigh quite a few times. I know when snow comes, things shut down pretty quickly. If the airports let you land, you should be ok...jump in a taxi and pray! :eek: (Snow or no snow!)

hankstr

Post by hankstr » Thu Mar 15, 2007 10:05 am

Poopy Tooth,

I tried to get a flight out tonight but there wasn't anything available. I DID get my flight changed from Friday night to 8:30 tomorrow morning for an extra $105. That still isn't a guarantee but at least it will reduce the risk somewhat. I really want to be able meet the competitors and do this in person. I've done football drafts over the phone but would hate to do baseball that way.

My first pick will be somewhat decided by how much I've had to drink. Who do you suggest? According to GG, I'd better grab Ben Sheets!

-

Hope to see you guys soon!

best, Hank

Chest Rockwell

Post by Chest Rockwell » Thu Mar 15, 2007 10:50 am

Poopy Tooth,

I tried to get a flight out tonight but there wasn't anything available. I DID get my flight changed from Friday night to 8:30 tomorrow morning for an extra $105. That still isn't a guarantee but at least it will reduce the risk somewhat. I really want to be able meet the competitors and do this in person. I've done football drafts over the phone but would hate to do baseball that way.

My first pick will be somewhat decided by how much I've had to drink. Who do you suggest? According to GG, I'd better grab Ben Sheets!

-

Hope to see you guys soon!

best, Hank Good luck in getting out- I know it sucks to have that stress at the last minute, I highly doubt alternative arrangements would be made (think of how hard it will be- not a matter of if they want to or if your leaguemates do not care). Good luck man-

As far as flying in to Newark- I always fly in to Newark I think it is so much easier.

poopy tooth

Post by poopy tooth » Thu Mar 15, 2007 10:57 am

Hank -

Hope you make. As far as the suggestion, if David passes on Pujols, I'd advise you do the same. he won last year and must "know" something if he does.

I'll PM you my cell phone just in case things get hectic. I'm sure you'll be able to get ahold of Tom, but just in case you need it.