The Draft Room, Drafts, and Drafters

rickerbockerNFBC

Re: The Draft Room, Drafts, and Drafters

Post by rickerbockerNFBC » Sun Dec 03, 2017 11:05 pm

25 hour clock based on 4 hours first of all. So in an emergency like you described he still would have had 9 hours on overall clock. Right now in DC2 there's a guy who is timing out every pick. An overall clock stops this issue. And just because the overall clock expires, doesn't mean the dude loses picks. He simply loads his que up. And shooting down an idea just because you can find 1 example out of hundreds of drafters is a little silly in my humble opinion.

Southern Comfort

Post by Southern Comfort » Sun Dec 03, 2017 11:18 pm

I don’t think that was considered “shooting down” an idea....in my humble opinion hahaha. Just providing an alternative argument and an example of said argument.

I simply would not wish to put owners in such a scenario where they could be reduced to only que picks.

Some of the owners like myself are using the DC League as a study guide. As picks go along they are building draft boards, listening to podcasts, researching prospects. They are content to have a mixed group of speed picks and 1-2 hour picks. To me the funnest part of the draft was to log Chat and talk with the big fellas in my league. I was even half sad to see the draft end lol.

I guess I just don’t want the time to be viewed as an issue (1)When it’s Almost 5 months from opening day (2) When there has only been one maybe two 4 hour drafts completed

Now that guy who has timed out EVERY pick?.....Yea that’s an issue even for the 4-hour time. Prolly talk to Tom or Greg about that, hit that “admin” button they get a signal in their brain....online in 2.4 seconds

Southern Comfort

Post by Southern Comfort » Sun Dec 03, 2017 11:27 pm

In regards to the overnight drafting issue. Yea it was def a challenge, especially when someone is on deck waiting to pick but the guy on the clock is out for the night.

Maybe a good idea would be for Greg & Tom to get IT to send out a goodnight email. Just like we receive an email for each pick made (which can really clog up my email sometimes), they can send an email every night once the clock has stopped, with the current order of the next 5-6 owners to pick and perhaps a reminder that Auto is available should they chooseYou

Greg Ambrosius

Post by Greg Ambrosius » Mon Dec 04, 2017 10:23 am

I think the overnight Pause and the current setup is a worthy discussion. This is a new addition that resulted in input from current drafters and that's why we went to 4 hour drafts and the 8-hour nightly Pause.

We would hope that drafters wouldn't turn that into a 12-hour clock, but all it takes is one person to do it to ruin it for everyone. Nobody should purposely take 12 hours to make a selection. Nothing can be that tough of a decision.

As one owner posted, if we change it any earlier than 9 am ET, that's 6 am on the West Coast and that's tough. Now if you were already on the clock for 3 hours and had 8 hours then you'd still be on the clock until 7 am PT and that's your fault if you got auto-picked. And Pausing earlier than 1 am isn't ideal for East Coast drafters.

But even with 4 hours to pick, I could see reducing the Pause to 6 hours and making it from 2 am ET to 8 am ET. Again, with four hours as the cushion you either get on the clock during the evening or overnight, in which you still had 4 hours to make a pick and 6 hours of sleep. Nobody is sleeping 10 straight hours these days, are they?

Maybe once we install 1 Round Auto (which we know is important) that makes sense. Just food for thought on a good subject that's worthy of discussing. Thanks for the cordial discussion on this topic.
Greg Ambrosius
Founder, National Fantasy Baseball Championship
General Manager, Consumer Fantasy Games at SportsHub Technologies
Twitter - @GregAmbrosius

Bronx Yankees

Post by Bronx Yankees » Mon Dec 04, 2017 10:47 am

Greg Ambrosius wrote:I think the overnight Pause and the current setup is a worthy discussion. This is a new addition that resulted in input from current drafters and that's why we went to 4 hour drafts and the 8-hour nightly Pause.

We would hope that drafters wouldn't turn that into a 12-hour clock, but all it takes is one person to do it to ruin it for everyone. Nobody should purposely take 12 hours to make a selection. Nothing can be that tough of a decision.

As one owner posted, if we change it any earlier than 9 am ET, that's 6 am on the West Coast and that's tough. Now if you were already on the clock for 3 hours and had 8 hours then you'd still be on the clock until 7 am PT and that's your fault if you got auto-picked. And Pausing earlier than 1 am isn't ideal for East Coast drafters.

But even with 4 hours to pick, I could see reducing the Pause to 6 hours and making it from 2 am ET to 8 am ET. Again, with four hours as the cushion you either get on the clock during the evening or overnight, in which you still had 4 hours to make a pick and 6 hours of sleep. Nobody is sleeping 10 straight hours these days, are they?

Maybe once we install 1 Round Auto (which we know is important) that makes sense. Just food for thought on a good subject that's worthy of discussing. Thanks for the cordial discussion on this topic.
I agree with reducing the pause to six hours as suggested. The purpose of the pause was to facilitate moving from an eight-hour clock to a four-hour clock in order to speed-up drafts, or at least avoid abnormally-long delays between picks. Given the lack of outcry over the shortened clock, it seems to be working. In my opinion, it is working. It is very nice not having to worry about intervals between picks longer than four hours during the day and evening hours. That being noted, when an eight-hour pause is combined with a four-hour clock at night, the resulting interval between picks can be as long as 12 hours. Thus, in an attempt to shorten the maximum interval between picks during the day and evening hours, we have actually increased that maximum interval at night by a substantial amount, which I do not think really was the intent. While an argument can be made for reducing the pause to four-hours (which would result in a maximum eight-hour break when combined with the four-hour clock, which is what we had before), six hours seems a reasonable compromise. Also, making the change when Auto One is restored seems like good timing.

Mike
Mike Mager
"Bronx Yankees"

DOUGHBOYS

Post by DOUGHBOYS » Mon Dec 04, 2017 10:57 am

I've received a few emails about the overnight clock with ideas....

One suggestion is to wait till we have auto1 and auto 2.
If the overnight clock is still being used as a 12 hour clock, change the night clock to a 'dead of night' clock.
2AM-6AM, EST.
This would allow a current drafter to have the same 8 hour window as last year, while being armed with this years auto1 and auto2 features.
Which now that I write that, is simply reducing the 8 hour clock to 4 hours :)

Another thought-
If timing out once, a drafters clock is reduced to three hours.
Twice to two hours.
Three times and he would only receive one hour for each pick.

Another NFBC'er would like to have a fuller bio for each drafter.
He list these items.....

A record of standings for previous years
Victories in all events
Dollars won
Average draft time
Number of time outs
Number of DC drafts for current year
A ranking from KJ's list if applicable

In effect, he wants an NFBC Drafters page that he can search with stats like a player.
An interesting concept
On my tombstone-
Wait! I never had the perfect draft!

Greg Ambrosius

Post by Greg Ambrosius » Mon Dec 04, 2017 11:30 am

To get that last request Dan, someone will have to lobby the government to ease their Private Policy laws. As you know, we are just trying to get allowance to put full names on each League Home, which is a sticking point with regulators. :shock: We have become over-regulated as a country, but let's keep politics off our boards. ;)
Greg Ambrosius
Founder, National Fantasy Baseball Championship
General Manager, Consumer Fantasy Games at SportsHub Technologies
Twitter - @GregAmbrosius

DOUGHBOYS

Post by DOUGHBOYS » Mon Dec 04, 2017 12:02 pm

Greg Ambrosius wrote:To get that last request Dan, someone will have to lobby the government to ease their Private Policy laws. As you know, we are just trying to get allowance to put full names on each League Home, which is a sticking point with regulators. :shock: We have become over-regulated as a country, but let's keep politics off our boards. ;)
Our world is a paradox, Greg :) .
While the Government is trying to keep folks names top secret for no apparent reason, we have those same people letting us know through technology, again for no apparent reason, that they are about to poop.
The similarity being that we get poop from both entities.
On my tombstone-

fwicker

Post by fwicker » Mon Dec 04, 2017 2:18 pm

Dead of night 2-6 AM ET is not dead of night on the west coast. If something like that was implemented I could easily time out on a morning pick, especially in early rounds when auto is not as likely an option.

I agree with Todd’s suggestion that auto 2 include two lists so that if I’m on the wheel and I want a hitter and a pitcher I have a little more control over who I get. This would be an easier solution to implement than more complex if-then logic.

Another option to average draft time is using 90%ile which would eliminate outliers (1 or 2 timeouts, e.g.) and still give a reasonable reflection of the drafters performance.

I like the concept of a modified chess clock whereby the drafter starts with a “finite” time allotment, say 25 hours (I have no idea what a reasonable number would be, that would take some research), and if the time is exhausted before the draft is over, there would be a penalty of a severely reduced time frame per pick.
"You can observe a lot by watching" - Yogi Berra

DOUGHBOYS

Post by DOUGHBOYS » Mon Dec 04, 2017 2:50 pm

fwicker wrote:Dead of night 2-6 AM ET is not dead of night on the west coast. If something like that was implemented I could easily time out on a morning pick, especially in early rounds when auto is not as likely an option.
To be fair, it would be eight hours on the clock. Just like last year.
On my tombstone-

SpinningSeams

Post by SpinningSeams » Mon Dec 04, 2017 4:31 pm

Now can we have pancakes?
Scott
"SpinningSeams"

ToddZ

Post by ToddZ » Mon Dec 04, 2017 6:53 pm

2019 Mastersball Platinum

5 of the past 6 NFBC champions subscribe to Mastersball

over 1300 projections and 500 player profiles
Standings and Roster Tracker perfect for DC and cutline leagues

Subscribe HERE

dvidaver

Post by dvidaver » Tue Dec 05, 2017 4:11 pm

I'm amused by the frequency with which one or two team captains announce "this is the worst draft ever." I participate in slow drafts because I enjoy rosterbating (that being said, I would put my average draft time at under ten minutes). So a draft that lasts three weeks is not a problem, as long as slow drafters let me/us know the periods of time (workday, after the workday is over, this afternoon because I'm going to a funeral) we'll have to wait. Those who lack consideration/etiquette are usually not very savvy and are donating to the prize pool.
Losing patience/one's temper over something you can't control isn't healthy, screaming at someone who has other things to do and is going to take their time drafting so matter what you say to them is counterproductive if your goal is to enjoy the draft. Just lie back and think of England.

Southern Comfort

Post by Southern Comfort » Wed Dec 06, 2017 12:38 am

Hah! You said it more eloquently than I did dvidaver!

Three weeks is fine to me, I think normal timeframe has been 3-4 weeks. Of course in this year’s DC #1, with the new 4-hour clock and the all-stars I was blessed to Draft with. I think we hit like 14-15 days, don’t remember exactly but in that area

DOUGHBOYS

Post by DOUGHBOYS » Wed Dec 06, 2017 9:37 am

For a DC Draft, three rounds a day keeps chat going and drafters engaged.
16/17 days.
Usually, if it's a little quicker, it is even more engaging.
If slower, that is when the boo birds come out :)
On my tombstone-