Can You Go A Month Without Your iPhone?

Greg Ambrosius

Can You Go A Month Without Your iPhone?

Post by Greg Ambrosius » Tue Nov 28, 2017 3:50 pm

Okay, I'm going to cut to the chase with the purpose for this post. My iPhone started to act up when I was at the Arizona Fall League, I thought it wasn't anything big and now for the last two weeks it's been virtually dead. If you need to contact me please email me as there's no guarantees I'll get your texts or calls.

In fact, I finally got the phone back to life on Saturday and noticed 20 text messages. One of them said "why the f--k won't you answer my texts?" After reading that text I tried to text back but it died again.

Okay, so now you know the morale of the story: It's tough to run an Internet business when your iPhone acts up. It's the damndest thing and it got crazier last night.

So here's the full story for anyone who wants a roller coaster ride. My iPhone 6 Plus is with me more than my wife or anyone else in my life. It allows me to follow everything happening on Registration, in the draft rooms, on the Message Boards and life in general. I used to eat supper next to the computer; this at least allows me to sit at the table (although I get nasty looks when it dings continuously with emails). It's been a life-saver for running this business.

I can even admit that I didn't have a cell phone for the first two years of the NFBC. I was given a Track Phone from Krause Publications when I went to the live events, but that was it. I ran to the office most nights to check voice mails and to get email. I finally got my own phone in 2006 and have had this iPhone 6 Plus for a few years.

I love it, but something started to happen in Phoenix at the AFL. It froze up and I saw a gray bar across the top. I could turn it off and back on to get the gray bar to disappear, but it continually got deeper into my phone the last two weeks. Finally last week it just froze for good. I went to the Geek Squad and they knew what it was right away. They said it was a software issue and that I should call Apple.

Call Apple? You can do that?

Sure enough and their Customer Support team was great. I restored the software and nothing changed. It still became frozen. They scheduled a visit to the Apple Store an hour away, but not until Monday because of the holidays. I made it through the holidays without the phone and even tried to Restore the software again on Friday night. It worked for a bit, but after responding to those text messages it froze up again. Done for the weekend.

I went to the Apple Store last night and they again knew what it was right away. They said this is common with the iPhone 6 Plus as the software is loaded into a small area and sometimes the wires rub against the battery. He showed me where to press on the top area to make it worse and make it better. He said even fixing it wouldn't guarantee that it would last 5 minutes or 5 months. But he did get it to the point where it works more often right now.

I went to buy a new phone as I decided I couldn't possibly continue on like this and run a business in multiple sports. But when I went to Verizon they said I had one more month left on my two-year contract. I could get a new phone on Dec. 20th at a great price and a reduced monthly rate or I could pay $850 now and have a higher monthly bill. Extending my contract would be expensive, but recruiting me on a new plan would be the best option. So I asked what he would do and he said if you can make it 22 more days to wait for the contract to run out.

This all took about 4 hours as two Verizon stores closed and of course my Google Maps wouldn't work on the phone that is dying to find the new store!!! :oops: But at the end of the day I have a phone that works sometimes, a plan that is almost running out and I can use Tom's phone when I'm at the office!!!

So don't be pissed at me if I don't answer your calls or your texts. It means my phone is dead today. If I turn it off and back on again numerous times I can get it back on life support. But it doesn't work all the time, so for 22 days be patient with me.

Sorry, but I'll be good as new on Dec. 20th. Well, not me, but my iPhone. :lol: At least I hope.
Greg Ambrosius
Founder, National Fantasy Baseball Championship
General Manager, Consumer Fantasy Games at SportsHub Technologies
Twitter - @GregAmbrosius

Gekko

Re: Can You Go A Month Without Your iPhone?

Post by Gekko » Tue Nov 28, 2017 5:22 pm

Was this post for MTM :twisted: :lol: :twisted:

Baseball Furies

Post by Baseball Furies » Tue Nov 28, 2017 8:23 pm

Gekko wrote:Was this post for MTM :twisted: :lol: :twisted:
Hysterically, Mark, I told Dough that's what everyone would think when they read this post. Unfortunately, I can't take credit for that text, although it's good to know that I'm not the only one that Greg ignores and doesn't get back to, i-Phone or no i-Phone. :P
"If a woman has to choose between catching a fly ball and saving an infant's life, she will choose to save the infant's life without even considering if there are men on base." ~Dave Barry

Baseball Furies

Post by Baseball Furies » Tue Nov 28, 2017 9:37 pm

And in reading this post again, this time not while I was driving :mrgreen: , I found it to be even more hysterical on so many levels than I had originally realized, but I'll keep it all to myself. Very far be it for me to make a joke on here at Greg's expense. :mrgreen: :mrgreen: :mrgreen: And I do know how much it sucks when your phone craps out on you when it's your business at stake. I had the same thing happen a few months ago when my phone went, but there was no friggin' way that I was going to go a month until my contract ended without a new phone over several hundred bucks. I would have lost far more than that in business and not being able to service my clientele in the meantime, so the choice was obvious...although I never thought of the Trac-Phone option :roll: :oops: . So the answer is, no, no one who owns or runs a major company should go a month with no phone regardless of what it costs to replace it since the costs of not having one far exceed the savings later on.

And besides, I found the problem right away on line when I Googled what was wrong with Greg's i-Phone. Should have been an easy fix.

:lol:
"If a woman has to choose between catching a fly ball and saving an infant's life, she will choose to save the infant's life without even considering if there are men on base." ~Dave Barry

Greg Ambrosius

Post by Greg Ambrosius » Wed Nov 29, 2017 8:08 am

Gekko wrote:Was this post for MTM :twisted: :lol: :twisted:
SNAKE 2.0 :roll:
Greg Ambrosius
Founder, National Fantasy Baseball Championship
General Manager, Consumer Fantasy Games at SportsHub Technologies
Twitter - @GregAmbrosius

Tom Kessenich

Post by Tom Kessenich » Wed Nov 29, 2017 8:36 am

As badly as I've felt for Greg - and to answer Greg's question my answer would be an emphatic no. I couldn't last 10 minutes without my phone - when his phone just started talking in French for no reason at all was pretty damn funny. :)
Tom Kessenich
Manager of High Stakes Fantasy Games, SportsHub Technologies
Twitter - @TomKessenich

DOUGHBOYS

Post by DOUGHBOYS » Wed Nov 29, 2017 11:29 am

I still picture Greg in Iola, in the last phone booth in America, making and taking calls on the frozen tundra of Iola's only street corner.
On my tombstone-
Wait! I never had the perfect draft!

ToddZ

Post by ToddZ » Wed Nov 29, 2017 12:25 pm

Sensing the real question is can Tom make it a month without Greg having a cell phone.
2019 Mastersball Platinum

5 of the past 6 NFBC champions subscribe to Mastersball

over 1300 projections and 500 player profiles
Standings and Roster Tracker perfect for DC and cutline leagues

Subscribe HERE

Tom Kessenich

Post by Tom Kessenich » Wed Nov 29, 2017 3:19 pm

ToddZ wrote:Sensing the real question is can Tom make it a month without Greg having a cell phone.
We need a Like button on these boards.
Tom Kessenich
Manager of High Stakes Fantasy Games, SportsHub Technologies
Twitter - @TomKessenich

uky

Post by uky » Wed Nov 29, 2017 5:30 pm

Answer to the original question...YES
Bill Cleavenger
Big Blue Nation..We don't rebuild, we reload

orangemen90

Post by orangemen90 » Wed Nov 29, 2017 8:06 pm

Samsung Galaxy 8+ may solve that anxiety!!!