MLB and DirecTV

KJ Duke

MLB and DirecTV

Post by KJ Duke » Thu Mar 08, 2007 7:46 am

DIRECTV: Major League Baseball, DIRECTV to host 4:15 P.M. conference call today (DTV) 28.83 +0.12 : Major League Baseball and the co will make a major joint announcement on a 4:15 P.M. (EST) conference call this afternoon.

[ March 08, 2007, 04:45 PM: Message edited by: KJ Duke ]

Greg Ambrosius

MLB and DirecTV

Post by Greg Ambrosius » Thu Mar 08, 2007 7:55 am

Originally posted by KJ Duke:

DIRECTV: Major League Baseball, DIRECTV to host 4:15 P.M. conference call today (DTV) 28.83 +0.12 : Major League Baseball and the co will make a major joint announcement on a 4:15 P.M. (EST) conference call this afternoon. I hear ya Kevin. I think it's definitely what you think it is. Now I'm interested to see what the price is going to be. Remember, it was $149 last year. NFL Sunday Ticket used to be $119 and was $249 this year, so get ready for the sticker shock. :D Bummer.
Greg Ambrosius
Founder, National Fantasy Baseball Championship
General Manager, Consumer Fantasy Games at SportsHub Technologies
Twitter - @GregAmbrosius

Sack

MLB and DirecTV

Post by Sack » Thu Mar 08, 2007 7:57 am

Whatever it is - still can't beat it AND they know we will pay for it.

marinersfan

MLB and DirecTV

Post by marinersfan » Thu Mar 08, 2007 8:01 am

Too bad for us that can't get directv, but could get extra innings on cable. I Couldn't buy it on directv if I wanted to.

[ March 08, 2007, 02:02 PM: Message edited by: marinersfan ]

KJ Duke

MLB and DirecTV

Post by KJ Duke » Thu Mar 08, 2007 8:03 am

I thought baseball's special monopolistic exemption came with some public responsibility. Particularly now, with taxpayers financing most of the new stadiums.

So much for that I guess. Screw 95% of the fan base. Can't wait to hear how MLB spins this one to make it sound fan-friendly! This is one rare occasion that I hope Congress steps in and does something.

DOUGHBOYS

MLB and DirecTV

Post by DOUGHBOYS » Thu Mar 08, 2007 8:07 am

Makes great business sense for Direct. For MLB it limits their customer base, flips the finger at loyal fans who cannot for one reason or another switch to Direct, and renews my faith that MLB must have a quota for bad decisions.
On my tombstone-
Wait! I never had the perfect draft!

Top Dawg

MLB and DirecTV

Post by Top Dawg » Thu Mar 08, 2007 8:11 am

This will suck. I am already paying way too much for TV. Football, OK that's cool. HD games are sweet and all games are meaningful. Baseball... I might have to think a bit harder than simply paying whatever they offer.

Pete
OK - So I'm not as good as I thought I was; but at least I am consistent.

KJ Duke

MLB and DirecTV

Post by KJ Duke » Thu Mar 08, 2007 8:44 am

I won't be blackmailed into paying for it again.

I had DirecTV for awhile solely because of football, but I prefer cable service all things considered. I'll be rooting for John Kerry, Ted Kennedy and the FCC chairman to put a stop to this. I really feel like getting on the DTV conference call today and giving some hardball Q&A, too bad it wouldn't be appropriate to bring my personal feelings into a professional setting. :mad: I think I'll listen in anyway, and just bite my toungue for an hour.

The Maine Thread

MLB and DirecTV

Post by The Maine Thread » Thu Mar 08, 2007 8:54 am

For you diehards out there, check out MLB.TV.

I got this last year, you watch games on your computer and I only paid $79.95. I think the price for this year is $89.95, just got my renewal in email but haven't looked at it yet. Not in front of tv much, but am in front of computer most of day, so it was worth it to me.
We do custom Embroidery at affordable prices! Call us today 207-525-4527

Quahogs

MLB and DirecTV

Post by Quahogs » Thu Mar 08, 2007 9:06 am

Originally posted by The Maine Thread:

I got this last year, you watch games on your computer and I only paid $79.95. I think the price for this year is $89.95, just got my renewal in email but haven't looked at it yet. Not in front of tv much, but am in front of computer most of day, so it was worth it to me. when will the day arrive when you can subscribe to a service like this that will push chosen live data to your PC in the form of specified player at bats or mound presence ?? You can watch it live or have it stored (like a DVR/Tivo) for future viewing. What I would pay for something like that...

Q

devilznj

MLB and DirecTV

Post by devilznj » Thu Mar 08, 2007 9:18 am

Not there yet, but on MLB.COM if you purchase the premium package ($120) you can watch 6 games at once and you can input your fantasy roster and you will get an alert notification when one of your players is coming to bat or getting ready to pitch.

For the regular $89 price you get a picture that's not as good and you also can only watch one game at a time. They are adding the home and away radio telecasts this year as part of the package which covers you if your team is blacked out.
Happy Recap

Chameleon

MLB and DirecTV

Post by Chameleon » Thu Mar 08, 2007 9:49 am

CNBC, the bus. channel, just reported that MLB has buckled, and will make the baseball package available to "any provider" who wants it -- including DISH, and major cable providers such as ComCast, Charter etc.
"Past Peformance Does Not Guarantee Future Returns"

SES

MLB and DirecTV

Post by SES » Thu Mar 08, 2007 10:00 am

Here is the press release as posted on MLB.com:

MLB, DIRECTV expand multi-year agreement

03/08/2007 4:33 PM ET

MLB.com

Major League Baseball and DIRECTV, the nation's leading satellite provider, today announced a seven-year agreement that continues carriage rights to the MLB EXTRA INNINGS subscription package of out-of-market games and includes the launch of the MLB Channel as part of DIRECTV's basic package. Included within the agreement, DIRECTV will be a minority partner in the MLB Channel, and will work with MLB to develop the network, which will launch in 2009.

Additionally, in keeping with MLB's desire to provide as much MLB programming to as many baseball fans as possible, MLB and DIRECTV have agreed to include a provision that allows MLB EXTRA INNINGS to be offered to other incumbents - In Demand and DISH Network - at consistent rates and carriage requirements with a deal to be concluded before the baseball season begins. The provision also requires the incumbents to agree to carriage rights to the MLB Channel proportionally equivalent to DIRECTV's commitment. Should the incumbents decide not to match DIRECTV's commitment, the MLB EXTRA INNINGS package will be exclusive to DIRECTV. All out of market games continue to be available on MLB.com.

"With the advent of The MLB Channel, our new agreement with DIRECTV will result in more MLB programming being available to more fans than ever before," said Major League Baseball President Bob DuPuy. "The deal complements our deals with FOX, Turner and ESPN for network game coverage and furthers MLB's initiative to continue to enhance fans' viewing experience and reinvigorate our telecasts with unique and innovative features."

"Just as we did with NFL SUNDAY TICKET and NASCAR HOTPASS, DIRECTV will invest millions of dollars to deliver a spectacular fan experience," said Chase Carey, President and CEO of DIRECTV. "DIRECTV will offer more games in HD and apply its award-winning technology to MLB EXTRA INNINGS broadcasts on an unprecedented scale, taking fans deeper inside the game than ever before."

DIRECTV, continuing its 10-year relationship with MLB and its fans by providing MLB EXTRA INNINGS, will bring new innovations that will enhance the fan experience. The MLB Channel will be the first and only network dedicated to providing baseball programming to MLB fans 24 hours a day, seven days a week on a year-round basis.

DIRECTV will expand the MLB EXTRA INNINGS options to include a game mosaic channel, a Strike Zone Channel that takes viewers to live cut-ins of MLB games in progress at key points; detailed player and team stats, real-time scores and live updates from other games; and other innovations that complement the sport of baseball, entertain viewers and provide fans with a great entertainment value. Beginning in 2008, DIRECTV will provide most, if not all, of the package in High Definition.

Major League Baseball will continue to make available more games by far than any other sport on national and local over-the-air broadcast, basic cable, and satellite. On average, approximately 400 game telecasts are available in each market every season. Fans will continue to be able to watch their home club's games in their home markets. This agreement will not affect MLB's national agreements with FOX, TBS, and ESPN, nor local game telecasts.

The MLB Channel will launch in 2009 on DIRECTV, ensuring that the Channel is immediately available as part of DIRECTV's basic service. DIRECTV's commitment to carry the Channel as a basic service to more than 15 million homes was a major factor in the long-term agreement between the provider and MLB.

"We are quite pleased with the commitment DIRECTV has made to MLB and our fans, and in the coming weeks will continue our efforts to secure corresponding commitments from our incumbent distributors," said Tim Brosnan, Executive Vice President/Business, Major League Baseball.

Last year, more than half of the subscribers of MLB EXTRA INNINGS were DIRECTV customers. MLB.TV, MLB's broadband package, will continue to be available to all consumers through the Major League Baseball website, www.mlb.com, offering upgraded picture quality this season.

Berkshire Juggernauts

MLB and DirecTV

Post by Berkshire Juggernauts » Thu Mar 08, 2007 10:01 am

Is this true?

SES

MLB and DirecTV

Post by SES » Thu Mar 08, 2007 10:02 am

Yes...here's the link.

****://mlb.mlb.com/content/printer_friendly/mlb/y2007/m03/d08/c1833910.jsp

Berkshire Juggernauts

MLB and DirecTV

Post by Berkshire Juggernauts » Thu Mar 08, 2007 10:04 am

sorry we posted at the same time. You couldnt have given a better answer thanks

DOUGHBOYS

MLB and DirecTV

Post by DOUGHBOYS » Thu Mar 08, 2007 10:16 am

Wow, MLB made a great decision (probably spurred by politicians), how many times can that be said?
On my tombstone-

KJ Duke

MLB and DirecTV

Post by KJ Duke » Thu Mar 08, 2007 10:21 am

I hope this is a real effort on MLB's part to strike a deal with cable, and not just a smoke-screen provision to ward off politicians with terms that InDemand cannot realistically meet. Sounds like we will know within a couple of weeks.

RODGER

MLB and DirecTV

Post by RODGER » Thu Mar 08, 2007 11:06 am

I don't think many of you are reading the key elements involved here.

The cable companies are never going to agree with DirecTV's demand that the Baseball Network be included in the most basic tier of programming.

This whole thing basically means NOTHING. MLB Extra Innings is still going to be exclusive to DirecTV customers... the big thing this does is allow DirecTV and MLB to say that they tried to open it up to everyone and the other providers refused the terms.
“The harder the conflict, the more glorious the triumph.”
——Thomas Paine

DOUGHBOYS

MLB and DirecTV

Post by DOUGHBOYS » Thu Mar 08, 2007 11:14 am

Just reported on Sportstalk radio- The deal with Directtv precludes DISH or cable tv from carrying the extra innings package unless they agree to carry the MLB channel on their basic packages.

Cable balked at the same deal from the NFL, the consensus was that cable would not offer Extra Innings under this agreement.
On my tombstone-

DOUGHBOYS

MLB and DirecTV

Post by DOUGHBOYS » Thu Mar 08, 2007 11:15 am

Sorry Rodger, you beat me to it.
On my tombstone-

KJ Duke

MLB and DirecTV

Post by KJ Duke » Thu Mar 08, 2007 11:24 am

Yep, as I suspected, a disingenuous smoke-screen that will make it very tough for political forces to intervene ... so here we go again with another league conveniently laying all the blame for screwing the fan base on the cable guys.

bjoak

MLB and DirecTV

Post by bjoak » Thu Mar 08, 2007 11:31 am

Originally posted by Quahogs:

quote:Originally posted by The Maine Thread:

I got this last year, you watch games on your computer and I only paid $79.95. I think the price for this year is $89.95, just got my renewal in email but haven't looked at it yet. Not in front of tv much, but am in front of computer most of day, so it was worth it to me. when will the day arrive when you can subscribe to a service like this that will push chosen live data to your PC in the form of specified player at bats or mound presence ?? You can watch it live or have it stored (like a DVR/Tivo) for future viewing. What I would pay for something like that...

Q
[/QUOTE]Aside from having the notifiation when your players come to bat, as devil noted, they are supposedly working to add a feature this season that will send you an e-mail each morning containing a package of highlight clips featuring your players. Yep, mlb.tv is pretty sweet, if only it offered HD quality broadcasts that were fed directly into your $3000 TV. Sigh.
Chance favors the prepared mind.

King of Queens

MLB and DirecTV

Post by King of Queens » Thu Mar 08, 2007 11:56 am

You'll also see a big uptick in subscribers to mlbtv.com -- it's win-win for baseball

CC's Desperados

MLB and DirecTV

Post by CC's Desperados » Thu Mar 08, 2007 12:12 pm

Originally posted by KJ Duke:

Yep, as I suspected, a disingenuous smoke-screen that will make it very tough for political forces to intervene ... so here we go again with another league conveniently laying all the blame for screwing the fan base on the cable guys. Kevin, I might be confused, but isn't it the cable companies screwing the cable guys. My impression was that they have the same offer as Direct TV. They are choosing not take the same offer.

I wish the baseball package would allow you to watch all games as NFL package does. I would a premium for this service.