Satellite vs. the main event

Walla Walla

Post by Walla Walla » Tue Mar 06, 2007 6:51 am

These are my takes on why you can’t compare the satellite drafts to the main event.

If you’ve done a satellite you know that you can get so caught up in trying to navigate around the web site that you lose track of the players being picked. Though Mock Draft Central is an excellent site for what is made for it doesn’t compare to a live main event.

In the main event you don’t have to look for your player so you can click on him to select. You just call out the name. Trying to search for a player is time consuming on the internet. The internet can get buggy or flat out drop you off line. At the main event that’s not a problem. At the main event you get two breaks after every 10 rounds. Not so on the internet. I’ll tell one thing those breaks can make a big difference if you’re trying to reorganize. Finally at the main event there is no teenage son or wife bugging you to get off the internet. Before anyone comes running to attack me about this let me point out.

One I’ve done both many times and have enjoyed both. The satellite drafts are great for those that can’t make the main event. But and I repeat they are not the main event. If anyone who is thinking about not trying the main event based on the satellite draft shouldn’t. The main event has so much to offer. Big boards that make it easy to follow the draft on. A facilitator that makes sure everything runs smoothly etc.

Geoffrey Stein

Post by Geoffrey Stein » Tue Mar 06, 2007 7:06 am

Originally posted by Walla Walla:

A facilitator that makes sure everything runs smoothly etc. And what am I, chopped liver?
Geoffrey Stein - (No Longer)Senior Editor, Fanball.com (R.I.P.)
[email protected]
AIM: gstein729

Walla Walla

Post by Walla Walla » Tue Mar 06, 2007 7:17 am

No! Your much better. How about a corn beef at Canter's in LA. Or a Lox begal at Juniors in Santa Monica. Come on you know what I mean. :D

Quahogs

Post by Quahogs » Tue Mar 06, 2007 7:18 am

Just like driving your family across country. You CAN do it in PT Cruiser though the experience will surely be a difficult one. Rent an RV and the experience becomes enjoyable (maybe ;) )

If you have the right equipment (good pc, broadband) skills and atmosphere, the satellite experience is quite enjoyable because the MDC "road" is smooth with nary a pothole.

Q

Top Dawg

Post by Top Dawg » Tue Mar 06, 2007 7:21 am

One other thing to point out... If you have already done a satellite, especially a $100 one; don't count on those draft results looking anything like the main event. Satellites are individual leagues with individual league prizes. There will be at least one player in your main event trying for 360 save or SB points that will really mess up your draft. Also, not trying to sound like money makes a difference; but those in the main event should be more prepared than someone trying out a $100 satellite in February.

Pete
OK - So I'm not as good as I thought I was; but at least I am consistent.

Tom Kessenich

Post by Tom Kessenich » Tue Mar 06, 2007 7:29 am

Originally posted by Geoffrey Stein:

quote:Originally posted by Walla Walla:

A facilitator that makes sure everything runs smoothly etc. And what am I, chopped liver? [/QUOTE]I think I might take that personally too, Geoff.
Tom Kessenich
Manager of High Stakes Fantasy Games, SportsHub Technologies
Twitter - @TomKessenich

Walla Walla

Post by Walla Walla » Tue Mar 06, 2007 8:34 am

Actually Tom you were chopped liver during that draft. A quick I'm here at the begining and never to be heard from again.

Tom Kessenich

Post by Tom Kessenich » Tue Mar 06, 2007 8:36 am

Originally posted by Walla Walla:

Actually Tom you were chopped liver during that draft. A quick I'm here at the begining and never to be heard from again. Was that last night's John? I had to run the two auctions and we had another member of our staff fill in because I wasn't able to run all four at once. So my apologies for not being there other than the brief hello. But those who are in our satellites know that I'm there for all of them 99% of the time and the ones I'm not there for Greg is monitoring.

[ March 06, 2007, 02:36 PM: Message edited by: Tom Kessenich ]
Tom Kessenich
Manager of High Stakes Fantasy Games, SportsHub Technologies
Twitter - @TomKessenich

bucks66

Post by bucks66 » Tue Mar 06, 2007 8:48 am

I had no problems whatsoever during the online draft. We didn't need Tom there because Geoff was on top of everything. Heck, he even made the wait between picks more bearable for me as we passed the time with conversation last night. All this on top of the draft not ending until 1 am and Geoff is on eastern time. I have nothing but kudos for Geoff. When we had a problem (only once) Geoff paused the draft immediately and got the situation under control. I can't stress enough how pleasant the draft was (even though I'm on standard time as well). My hats off to MDC and FNBC for a quality draft when I can't attend the Big Event this year.

Gordon Gekko

Post by Gordon Gekko » Tue Mar 06, 2007 8:57 am

tom:

walla is just grumpy waiting for his draft slot for the main. wait, is he in the main event?

Walla Walla

Post by Walla Walla » Tue Mar 06, 2007 8:58 am

I knew it! The whole point of this first post was to point out how good the main event was. I'll leave it at that.

Spyhunter

Post by Spyhunter » Tue Mar 06, 2007 11:40 am

Walla Walla,

I agree with your original post. Nicely worded. See? If you aren't a grump, people won't be grumpy back

Anyway, I love the satellites and I encourage everyone to use them for practice and profit, but, there is nothing quite like the rush of being in a live draft (in my case, the auctions are particularly fun)

Spy

SteveK

Post by SteveK » Wed Mar 07, 2007 6:26 am

From what I am hering on this board most people treat satalite drafts as practice, think people do not prepare as much, and do not take them as serious as the "Main Event". For those of us that can't afford, or do not want to pay $1300 plus for the live drat we take these drafts seriously and prepare as much or more that many main event players.
Steve Kiel