NYC Friday afternoon draft...parking??

Mark

Post by Mark » Mon Mar 05, 2007 11:36 am

How is parking at the Javitz center? I am wondering if I should take the train into Grand Central or drive in from Connecticut. Anyone have information on parking, fees, traffic on West Side, etc.?

Top Dawg

Post by Top Dawg » Mon Mar 05, 2007 1:21 pm

I drive in from Jersey. There is parking near the Javitz Center, within about 2 blocks. If I recall, they rip you off for about $30-$40 bucks. I'm sure you can park furher away for a little less and walk a little more.

See you there -

Pete
OK - So I'm not as good as I thought I was; but at least I am consistent.

Atlas

Post by Atlas » Wed Mar 07, 2007 3:17 am

I'm coming in too ( from NJ) and trying to find a way around the $30-40 garages. I park in NYC often and its either that or a $95 ticket (which I've gotten often too!)They also post rates for cars and you don't see the small print for mini-vans--$25 extra!

devilznj

Post by devilznj » Wed Mar 07, 2007 3:22 am

Same deal - I'm coming from NJ and was going to drive. A client told me I'm crazy - said I should drive to Hoboken and park cheap and take the ferry over. Supposedly drops you off just a few blocks from the Javits Center.

Been too busy to check out, but may be a viable (and cheaper) option. Of course, not a normal Saturday with St. Patrick's Day, but don't think it would create that much of a problem.
Happy Recap

la Jolla

Post by la Jolla » Wed Mar 07, 2007 3:24 am

try the ferry out of weehawken, NJ it drops you within walking distance of the Javits, @7 minute trip and 5 bucks each way.

Atlas

Post by Atlas » Wed Mar 07, 2007 3:54 am

I've done the ferry. Its alright, but I thought it was more than 5 bucks. I could be wrong.

I don't remeber if they charge you to park at the ferry. If so, then $10 round trip and another, say $10 to park....I guess if you add in the tunnell toll its still cheaper. I'm bringing my son, so its $20 for the ferry right off the bat.

Driving in the city really isn't that bad and the Javits should be right outside the Lincoln tunnell, so other than dealing with tunnell traffic (MSG, and St. Patty's?) it really isn't terrible. Trying to get in in the evening can be tough. I just don't know the parade schedule.

Atlas

Post by Atlas » Thu Mar 08, 2007 4:52 am

If this helps anyone....

The Weehawkin Ferry leaves every 20 minutes. Its $6 each way and $7 to park. Its one block to the center and, speaking to the rep, they don't expect a problem due to St. Patty's. They put 300 on a boat, starting at 8am and running to 1:10am.

The parade starts at 11am on 44th and 5th and runs up 5th ave, which should be rather clear of the Javits Center.

I think I'm going to have the Mrs. drop junior and I off and just pick us up 6-7 hours later. We're about a 30 min ride to Weehawkin.

$30-40 to park and $6 for the tunnel really bites into that facilitators fee, if you know what I mean. ;)

Brian Walton

Post by Brian Walton » Fri Mar 09, 2007 3:38 pm

Gang, I will share something that should help, but only if you promise not to fill up my selected lot next Saturday! ;)

This website allows you to enter the location, date, time and duration to park. In return, you receive a graphic map of a wide variety of nearby parking locations and prices.

I've used it many times and have never been disappointed. See you next week, New Yorkers!

nycgarages.com (sorry, but I can't get the live link to work properly...)

[ March 09, 2007, 10:28 PM: Message edited by: brian ]
Brian Walton
creativesports.com