Edwards Bay Fox Pen 2017 Blog

Edwards Kings

Edwards Bay Fox Pen 2017 Blog

Post by Edwards Kings » Mon Apr 03, 2017 9:24 am

Just like when Enco and Esso changed their names to Exxon, it is the same old gas. “Edwards Kings” is now “Edwards Bay Fox Pen”, at least for this year. If you want to know why, there is a brief post I wrote in the Non-baseball chat room that should explain.

As to the 2017 prep and draft, first and foremost I want to congratulate Greg and Tom on another (now expected but never underappreciated) weekend. Flawless and enjoyable. I enjoyed catching up with everyone (too many to list) and missed quite a few notable in their absences (Dan, Dave in particular) Congrats to Dave Potts on the Hall of Fame induction. I think they are considering a wing for the NFBC at Cooperstown so please be prepared to sit for your bust.

And to Mike Massoto…GREAT event. I enjoyed meeting your better half and thanks to all involved for letting a deaf guy help facilitate the draft. I enjoyed getting a chance to really have a few more in-depth conversations with folks.

And the draft itself…Mark was a real gentleman and a pleasure to sit next to. More or less we seemed to be drafting off a different set of pages (mine were probably written on toilet paper), so I do not believe we ever really stole too many players from each other which was good because plenty of that occurred by other players. Thanks to Brady, KJ, Nikko and all the rest. It was certainly the cool kids table.

2017 Draft Prep – This year, I really had no clue. I always think I have a clue going in, but results have always proved I do not, but this year I really could not seem to put my finger on any sort of flow that I could turn into a workable plan. Maybe it was the power upsurge last year as I really couldn’t see real pockets of power…rather it was like there were power sources everywhere as last year everyone seem to be capable of going yard at any time. So instead, I decided to clear a little of the underbrush and let the chips fall where they may. When I say underbrush, I mean those single categories or positions that typically give me fits. Homeruns, RBI’s, Runs and Batting Average are the trees of a five by five, steals are the underbrush. ERA, WHIP, K’s and Wins are the big wood for pitching, with Saves being the specialty category. Middle Infielders, Corner Men, and Outfielders make your offense as proud as a first born son. Catchers are more like the afterbirth of Fantasy Baseball. So, I knew I was going to commit valuable draft picks early enough to:
1. Lock down some real speed but try to avoid the Judy’s who would go later in the draft due to BA challenges or positional questions. They would be kind of like taking your cousin to the prom (though that has certainly happened where I am from).
2. I was going to draft two of the top 15 closers and after that, there was just too much noise.
3. I was going to draft two of the top ten (or at least how I ranked them) catchers, accepting that three I would definitely not get (Posey, Lucroy, who I had last year and loved, and Sanchez). I guessed (right) that they would go too high even for this so-called strategy.

After that, I was going to go with best available player with no real regard to position until it became critical. That does not mean I wasn’t targeting certain players. More about that as I bore you with a pick-by-pick.

Boring Pick-by-Pick – I went straight butter on my KDS as to be honest, this year like a few in the past, I just could not see an intermediate advantage to being early, middle, or late. Each seemed to have distinct advantages. Sure, I would have liked to start out with Trout or Mookie, but given what was available in the first 30-45 picks, I just could not see how it was critical. I ended up with the seventh pick. Going in, I had to believe that Trout, Mookie, Kershaw (for everyone who got/paid for him, I hope I am wrong, but I just do not trust him this year, especially not in the first round), or Altuve. That would leave me with a pool of two or three of Bryant, Arenado, Machado (which honestly, I would hate to live off the difference between the three), Goldy, Harper and Turner. A big flaw (I guess) is I will not draft a Turner until he has seen a few more MLB pitches (yes, that means no Dansby for me). I thought the same last year for Correa. Anyway, Turner would not be picked by me, though I thought Mark might (I was wrong). I was really sweating having to choose between Harper, Bryant and Arenado. I know Harper is an ass, but I watched several AB this year in Spring Training and man was he squaring up on the ball. They will NOT be able to get the high heat by him this year, but he is such an injury risk, I was not sure I wanted him in the first round. On the flip side, he could quite easily be the #1 fantasy stud this year. Risk/Reward. As it turns out, I did not have to flip the coin. Dave Smith grabbed him with #5 (asshole ;)). Mark leaned over and told me I never would have gotten him anyway. Mark took Bryant, so poor me, I took Arenado. I had written earlier about what I thought of Arenado, so if this is a kick in the johnnies, I will take a few more like it. If I could just paste in either of 2015 or 2016, I would be happy. He is only 25, so there certainly is the chance there is Triple Crown upside here.

In discussing with several folks, I said I did not think Starling Marte would make it back to me (9th pick of the second round), but if he did, I said I could not imagine any other player there that would be better for my team. With Arenado anchoring four categories, Marte, even though he will bat fourth in the Pirate lineup, would anchor my stolen base category, have great BA, and won’t hurt (and potentially help) other counting stats except HR. And Marte is no Judy.

Well, I got to meet Todd Whitestone (and his son) and he seemed like such a nice guy until he grabbed Marte with the 8th pick of the second round. Ok, he is still a nice guy, but that was really a stinger.

In the probable event that Marte did not make it too me, I decided to get a top tier starter, who were dropping about like you would expect (Kershaw 2nd, Scherzer 10th, Bumgarner 14th, Thor 15th, Sale 17th) with quite a few dropping in the first 20 or so picks. The last, in my mind, of the 1A starters to me was Kluber. There are certainly other starters that could easily be your anchor, but Kluber I think is in that half a cut above.

Coming back around, with a batting/power anchor and a four category starter anchor, I decided to go ahead and get a steals anchor. I reached for Dee Gordon a bit (who was normally going early in the fourth) as I did not think he would make it back to me. This is about stats construction for me and though he may not steal has much as Hamilton, Gordon has better BA and no one really pushing him for the lead off position. It was a stretch pick. If it works great, if not, well…

Win or whine, I reached another point where I made a roster construction call that honestly could go either way. It was becoming obvious that this league was valuing starting pitching very high. Between my next two picks, eleven more starters would go (bringing the total to 19 starters in the first four and a half rounds). One of my next two picks SHOULD have been one of the later first tier or top second tier starters. But I had the hots this year for both Andrew McCutchen and Matt Carpenter. At 30, I just do not buy that McCutchen’s best days are behind him. Carpenter is so rock solid and versatile (1st, 3rd, and 2nd eligibility). Problem is both were going around the middle of the 5th round. So I reached for McCutchen and I have another guy hitting third in a good offensive line up. Now I had to wait for Carpenter. If he made it to me, fine. If not, like Marte, I would have picked another starter (like Kenta Maeda). Carpenter did make it back to me and I have ANOTHER guy hitting third.

I have now developed core strength on my teams’ offense. Three guys with plus to plus-plus power, great BA, middle-of-the-order counting stats on good offensive teams, and a good base of SB. But there is a cost. The top SP are leaving the board fast. Also, nine of the top closers are gone in a closer-run. At this stage and accepting I wanted two of the top fifteen closers, I could either join the closer run, or pick another top starter. I wrote down one name…”Maeda”…if he made it back to me, I would take him. If not, I would go closer. Mark stung me a bit on this one as he grabbed him just before my pick. Maeda is going to be the best Dodger pitcher this year and it is my fault I do not have him. C’est la vie.

Consolation prize was Craig Kimbrel (always a Brave in my mind) in the sixth. Banking that that second half was an anomaly rather than a trend, I locked down what should again be a top five closer on a team that should have a lot of save opportunities.

NOW pick a starter, right. Instead, I decide to piss on the third rail and further wait on starters. I have several starters in mind that SHOULD be there (despite evidence otherwise) tenth or later, so instead I decide to give back a little of my BA buffer and take advantage of a little offense that had dropped due to the closer/starter runs. Rumblin’, stumblin’ Trumbo had slipped, maybe because of a bad spring, but the guy is only 31, and hits in Camden, though he is my first guy not batting third (fifth behind Machado and Davis though he could switch with Davis when the right arm is on the mound). He also falls into a very good pattern I am developing of taking guys with plus/plus power (above average hctx), plus flyball rates, and on good offensive teams (Gordon as the exception on all counts).

So now I am looking for three things over the next few rounds. Starters, a closer, and some speed to accent Gordon (do not want all my eggs in one basket). Though a few speed guys go before my next pick, there is only one closer I consider Top Fifteen left, so I jump on Robertson. I think he will land on a contender, so this is a way for me to just close down closers and concentrate on other needs. This should set me up fine in saves, especially if there is any rebound in control from Robertson. Guys really are not squaring up on him, so this is possible.

Another warning sign happens as one of my pitchers who I thought would be there for me later goes in McCullers. Cassavetes wisely grabs him. I can stop the starting pitching bleeding on my team now, but I make another conscious decision to still wait, no matter the consequences. One more good stolen base guy and I probably have half or more of the SB I think I will need. I grab Lorenzo Cain, another guy hitting third, but a good 25+ SB source who will not hurt my other counting stats (well, not HR too bad) and should grab back some of the BA I just gave up. Yes, giving up on starters is bad, but I like this pick even with the health risk.

More of my targeted pitching (Taillon, Moore, Paxton) goes (pitch ADP out the window as these guys are going two or three rounds early) and that is going to cost me. Still, coming back to me, two bats have slipped with everyone reaching for pitching. Both bats play and hit third. One is a little more power, one is a little more BA. Otherwise they are mirror images almost (only a year separates their age). I do not have to flip a coin because Evan Longoria has long been a favorite of mine. It makes sense as I have a Judy on my team and the extra power is welcome. Mark snaps up the other (Turner) with the next pick.

I am through ten rounds and I have great power, great speed, only one BA risk out of seven offensive players, what should be great other offensive counting stats, and great (or at least very good) closers. And one starting pitcher. Ho-hum. Time to roll the bones.

So the next two rounds I grab two risky starters. One is Matt Harvey, the other is one of the last of my targets available, Robbie Ray. Before grabbing Harvey, I had two other guys on a list of four. The others, Pineda and Velasquez, went between my two picks. If Harvey can stay healthy enough to pitch more than 160 innings, this is a good pick. If not, or if he cannot find the plate, the gamble was not worth it.

Ray is electric and like electricity, he is very dangerous. He certainly can help make up some K-deficiency, but I may sink my ERA and WHIP. With just a LITTLE more control and a LITTLE more luck in his HR/FB rate, this is gold. Otherwise I have crapped out rollin dem bones…

Ahhh….but what about catchers? By this time, six have gone, so since I am feeling SOOOOO much better about my starting pitching, I grab Matt Wieters. He should end up being a top ten catcher (for what that is worth) even if he is hitting down in the Nuts line-up. He typically carries a nice line-drive and good flyball rate, with good contact/hctx. I guess we can stop waiting for that next gear from him (like I thought was around the corner in ’12 and ’13), but a late career power surge is not out of the question.

If I rank my targets, which I had hoped to be my fifth, sixth and potentially seventh starters rather than my entire starting pitching staff after Kluber, Jharel Cotton was the top of my third tier of targets. He is just so young and will play on a very bad team. So, if you do not have enough starters, go ahead and grab another demi-closer, right? Jenmar Gomez was available to me in the fifteenth because he is really bad (at least in us number-guys) and has better talent behind him. I hope to get about ten saves from him before his is replaced. If that happens, I am good.

For my next five, I grab my second catcher (Vogt, who should bat second most days in Oakland), Napoli (with the catchers and Trumbo, my fourth BA risk, but the epitome of cheap power batting third in Texas), Starlin Castro (really should have grabbed shortstop here), Ellsbury (10 HR and 20 SB…ok), and Luis Severino (Severino and Ray…living on the edge). I then grab Gardner (basically Ellsbury’s brother from a different mother), Matt Andriese (any other division besides the AL East, I would be happier with this pick) and Wei-Yen Chen (not a “stuff” pitcher, but better than a streamer).

Then I close it out with Avisail Garcia (who else are the White Sox gonna play?), Jesse Chavez (in the Oakland lineup and can be good until he runs out of gas), Andrelton Simmons (my first shortstop, so will be looking to upgrade here if he does not continue to show the speed he had in the second half of last year), Joe Mauer (forgotten man who will not hurt you in three categories…nice back-up who bats third in a bad lineup), Shawn Kelley (could be a closer if the Nats do not trade for Robertson or when Crusty Baker finally pulls his head out of his own ass), Hyun Soo Kim (don’t really need another back-up outfielder, already dropped) and Tyler Thornburg (wanted to handcuff Kimbrel…didn’t know he was hurt…already dropped).

So there it is. I tried to look my best...or at least pretend to.

Man, am I going to be streaming starting pitching. I think my offense is way above the fold and my closers/catchers should be contributors. Kluber is great. Everyone else is iffy. See you in the FA pool!

Good luck all and as always, enjoyed seeing all of you that I saw.
Last edited by Edwards Kings on Tue Apr 04, 2017 3:42 am, edited 1 time in total.
Baseball is a slow, boring, complex, cerebral game that doesn't lend itself to histrionics. You 'take in' a baseball game, something odd to say about a football or basketball game, with the clock running and the bodies flying.
Charles Krauthammer

Yah Mule

Re: Edwards Bay Fox Pen 2017 Blog

Post by Yah Mule » Mon Apr 03, 2017 9:53 am

Edwards Kings wrote:Image
The Angels approach to free agency under Arte Moreno. :)

Yah Mule

Post by Yah Mule » Mon Apr 03, 2017 10:00 am

I agree that draft prep was probably a more insecure process than in recent years. Having a steroid era power season dropped into the middle of this period of relative offensive austerity really threw everything off. With seven taters yesterday, it seems like it might be in for another season of high home run totals, but some of those pitches yesterday would have been gopher balls in 1967. Looking at you, Masahiro.

Doctor Who

Post by Doctor Who » Mon Apr 03, 2017 10:55 am

Always enjoy reading this on opening day Wayne! Was great seeing you in Vegas again this year. GL to your teams this year!

Bronx Yankees

Post by Bronx Yankees » Mon Apr 03, 2017 12:43 pm

Wayne - I enjoyed your write-up and really enjoyed getting to meet you. Good luck this season.

Mike
Mike Mager
"Bronx Yankees"

Edwards Kings

Post by Edwards Kings » Mon Apr 03, 2017 12:46 pm

Yah Mule wrote:I agree that draft prep was probably a more insecure process than in recent years. Having a steroid era power season dropped into the middle of this period of relative offensive austerity really threw everything off. With seven taters yesterday, it seems like it might be in for another season of high home run totals, but some of those pitches yesterday would have been gopher balls in 1967. Looking at you, Masahiro.
Yes but two dingers were by Bumgarner, so should those count? :lol:
Baseball is a slow, boring, complex, cerebral game that doesn't lend itself to histrionics. You 'take in' a baseball game, something odd to say about a football or basketball game, with the clock running and the bodies flying.
Charles Krauthammer

Edwards Kings

Post by Edwards Kings » Mon Apr 03, 2017 12:47 pm

Doctor Who wrote:Always enjoy reading this on opening day Wayne! Was great seeing you in Vegas again this year. GL to your teams this year!

Thanks, brother, enjoyed it as well!
Charles Krauthammer

Edwards Kings

Post by Edwards Kings » Mon Apr 03, 2017 12:47 pm

Bronx Yankees wrote:Wayne - I enjoyed your write-up and really enjoyed getting to meet you. Good luck this season.

Mike
Mike, it was a real pleasure. Good luck to you too!
Charles Krauthammer

Yah Mule

Post by Yah Mule » Mon Apr 03, 2017 1:38 pm

Edwards Kings wrote:
Yah Mule wrote:I agree that draft prep was probably a more insecure process than in recent years. Having a steroid era power season dropped into the middle of this period of relative offensive austerity really threw everything off. With seven taters yesterday, it seems like it might be in for another season of high home run totals, but some of those pitches yesterday would have been gopher balls in 1967. Looking at you, Masahiro.
Yes but two dingers were by Bumgarner, so should those count? :lol:
I wish they counted. Only homers my ME team has so far. I already hate bullpens three games into the season.

Sebadiah23

Post by Sebadiah23 » Mon Apr 03, 2017 9:05 pm

Edwards Kings wrote: And the draft itself…Mark was a real gentleman and a pleasure to sit next to..
You know what they say about assuming ( it will make an ass out Yu and his drafters)
We drove 22 miles, country around Farmington. Signs started appearing. THE MOST PHOTOGRAPHED BARN IN AMERICA. Cars,tour bus,cameras;postcards sold.

No one sees the barn,

They are taking pictures of taking pictures
-Don DeLillo
@Sebadiah23, IG:sebadiah26

SpinningSeams

Post by SpinningSeams » Mon Apr 03, 2017 9:32 pm

Wayne,

Fantastic facilitation for the MTM Midnight Madness Draft! Really good to see you again and enjoyed the conversation about Gerogia Tech. Already looking forward to next year. Always a good read.
Scott
"SpinningSeams"

Edwards Kings

Post by Edwards Kings » Tue Apr 04, 2017 3:41 am

SpinningSeams wrote:Wayne,

Fantastic facilitation for the MTM Midnight Madness Draft! Really good to see you again and enjoyed the conversation about Gerogia Tech. Already looking forward to next year. Always a good read.
Thanks, Scott! I enjoyed the conversation (Go Dawgs!....had to slip that in there after all the nice things I said about Tech!) and good luck with your sons decision. Enjoyed sitting next to you and Chad at the draft as well!
Charles Krauthammer

DOUGHBOYS

Post by DOUGHBOYS » Tue Apr 04, 2017 7:57 am

Really missed you and everybody else in Las Vegas this year, Wayne!
Making it a point to see everybody next year.

I like the hitting (of course). In fact, absolutely jealous :D
It's a team that'll need your constant care and attention. They are all our babies.
Most compare Draft Day with Christmas Day, but really, it is like the birth of a new Child each year.
We don't know how it'll look and all we want is good health!
If nurturing this team correctly (in-season management) and feeding it the right food (faab), this team of yours has a chance to do some real damage!
Great Stuff, Wayne and love the subject line.
On my tombstone-
Wait! I never had the perfect draft!

Edwards Kings

Post by Edwards Kings » Tue Apr 04, 2017 8:46 am

DOUGHBOYS wrote:Really missed you and everybody else in Las Vegas this year, Wayne!
Making it a point to see everybody next year.

I like the hitting (of course). In fact, absolutely jealous :D
It's a team that'll need your constant care and attention. They are all our babies.
Most compare Draft Day with Christmas Day, but really, it is like the birth of a new Child each year.
We don't know how it'll look and all we want is good health!
If nurturing this team correctly (in-season management) and feeding it the right food (faab), this team of yours has a chance to do some real damage!
Great Stuff, Wayne and love the subject line.
Thanks, Dan. I know everyone missed you in Vegas. I even saw a bunch of Dorito Groupies waiting for you at the Bellagio...you should have seen them every time they thought you were walking out the door!

Charles Krauthammer

Edwards Kings

Post by Edwards Kings » Mon Apr 10, 2017 6:44 am

When do you think you know? We generally leave the drafts/auctions feeling pretty good about most of our picks. We pick at our picks. We identify what we think are our strengths, the team weaknesses. We make a few tentative FA pick-ups, maybe to strengthen our bench, stream a pitcher, gamble a bit on who the next closer will be, but really, the tenor of the team is not yet set. A good March turns into a bad April, a bad April is forgotten with a hot June. To me, it is mid-May before things really shake out, when I really believe my “projections” as to what each player will bring to my team is replaced by cold, hard numbers. Until then, I feel a bit like I am throwing darts.

Week One Results – Like most first weeks, a bit of a mixed bag. Anybody else HATE closers? Looks like Jenmar Gomez has reached the end of his choke collar already. Got a win and a save out of him and a 15.000 ERA ain’t so bad, is it?

Dear Chicago White Sox…Please trade David Robertson. If the only work you can arrange for him is to come in on a game you are three runs down in, you really do not need him. I like the fact that Kimbrel appears to be bringing it again (5 K’s in 3 IP) but still has to hit that 17 inch square spot in front of Sandy Leon.

On the knife throwers wheel of death that will by my starting pitching staff this year, Kluber, who needs to carry me as he did Cleveland last year got me zero wins in two starts (one good, one bad). Harvey pitched well by all accounts (only four K’s but no walks). Robbie Ray continued his problems with having runners on base (three hits, three walks, three runs). Maybe the humidor (I hear they are planning on using iguana piss for the liquid) will help (2 XBH including the Hill HR). Andgreasey and Cotton both just got flat lit up. In the end, I have an early ERA in the stratosphere, though WHIP is not that far off. Only had seven starts, so as expected K’s are down off target.

The best thing about my bats is that in spite of the abbreviated early schedule, I got over 300 AB for the week with MI and CM all averaging 25 AB per man with OF and UT averaging 20. Arenado was Arenado-esque. Longoria had good counting stats and when Napoli woke up enough to actually hit the ball, we had good results (two hits, one HR). Napoli and Longoria struck out 21 times between them. Breeeezee!

Simmons had a good week (0.400 BA, four Runs, one dinger and stolen base), Dee Gordon drove in two off Thor last night, and Castro hit for average. Carpenter’s alarm clock has not gone off yet but he has six road games including three in that LH power haven, Yankee stadium. Carpenter’s power played better on the road last year, so let’s see if he wakes up this week.

Outfield was concerning. McCutchen had three hits and seven strikeouts. Trumbo stole a base which equals his HR total. Brett Gardner ran like it was 2011 all over again. Both he and Ellsbury scored four runs each. Cain was basically worthless outside of his two stolen bases.

Actually this may be the first week in my time in the NFBC that I have ever had more stolen bases (10) than homeruns (9).

Week 2 FAAB – Last week I had picked up Joe Biagini for $13 just for shits and giggles. Now with Osuna due back Tuesday, I dropped him. Originally I was going to just go for starters, but when Gomez imploded again, I decided to pick up Benoit for $33, the exact same bid I used in my Auction League (with no second place bid). For this league, however, I was second to a winning $37 bid. I liked Vargas ($13) and Freeland ($3) as potential streaming options. Lost both to winning bids ($45 and $9 respectively). Picked up Hector Santiago for $1 who had a good start last week versus KC and has two (at DET and versus CWS). Santiago is a flyballer who lives on the luck of hit and strand rates. Not a long term investment.

Week 2 Plans – Do not know if Gomez will be a closer come 7:00 p.m. Monday in Philly, so I will probably go with seven starters. Cotton (@KC, v HOU), Harvey (@PHI, @MIA) and Santiago each have two starts. Ray, Kluber, Chavez and Chen have one. Angrease is on the road against the Yanks, so he will definitely catch splinters (five homeruns in two starts in Yankee Stadium last year). I would love to see Severino step up, but as bad as he sucked last year, he sucked worse at home (nine HR in 40 IP). He was actually having a pretty decent start last week until Machado burned him on a three-run HR in the fifth, so I will watch him a little rather than drop a lit cigarette into an open gas can. Scary…Almost as scary as...

The other question I have for my self is whether or not Avisail Garcia has arrived. I would have no problem starting him, but I check with Tom and he assures me I cannot start 15 offensive guys, so I would have to sit someone…just not sure who. Game time decision.

Anyway, good luck this week.
Charles Krauthammer

Edwards Kings

Post by Edwards Kings » Mon Apr 24, 2017 7:19 am

Edwards Kings wrote:In discussing with several folks, I said I did not think Starling Marte would make it back to me (9th pick of the second round), but if he did, I said I could not imagine any other player there that would be better for my team. With Arenado anchoring four categories, Marte, even though he will bat fourth in the Pirate lineup, would anchor my stolen base category, have great BA, and won’t hurt (and potentially help) other counting stats except HR. And Marte is no Judy.

Well, I got to meet Todd Whitestone (and his son) and he seemed like such a nice guy until he grabbed Marte with the 8th pick of the second round. Ok, he is still a nice guy, but that was really a stinger.

First and foremost, Todd, I forgive you!

Second, I wrote a blog last week and then lost it somehow before posting. Was heading out of town, so I had to decide whether or not to take the time to recreate....

So I will just jump in to Week Three. By some combination of misfortune and ineptitude, my league mates allowed me to jump into first place, though the lead is a whopping 0.5 after play yesterday. Since it is so late in the season and the lead so insurmountable, go ahead and write the check!

The week before I had placed a bid on Alex Wood, though I would fall far short of the $130 winning bid. My Miss Congeniality winner was Ariel Miranda, who had two starts (versus Miami and at Oakland). I was worried about Miami most, but it was Oakland who pounded him. Still, the start against Miami was so good that Miranda gave me a passable 3.600 ERA, 1.100 WHIP and 8 K's to go with one win. Not bad for the $1 streamer. The one good and one bad start was pretty common last week as I had set myself up for 11 starts. Overall, the week gave me 6 wins, 3.592 ERA, 1.073 WHIP, 69 K's and 3 Saves. Except for ERA (currently at 4.009 YTD) I am at or above all my pitching targets through three whole weeks. It is a bit strange that my ERA is so high when my WHIP (1.133) is relatively good. Overall my staff seems to be mirroring Kluber's season so far.

Bats are a bit weird too. So far I am averaging 300+ AB a week, I have (despite tanking Saturday and Sunday) generally had good BA (0.275 YTD), and am doing very well in SB thanks mainly to the resurgent early season legs of Jacoby Ellsbury. My power is just below the mark I wanted (31 HR YTD) and Runs (116) are not far off either. It is RBI that is confusing me. With 60 ballplayers typically batting out of the third and fourth spots in their respective lineups, we all should have at least four on our teams. I have at least six, not including Trumbo who has hit fourth half the time, fifth the other half. I had not expected to lag in RBI, but know that...say it with me...it is early.

There is certainly room for improvement. Napoli is not hitting his weight. Longoria and Trumbo too are lagging. What has kept me in it are the guys over producing (Simmons, Castro, Garcia).

Week 4 FAAB - not really much to go for this week. Treinen's fall from grace opened the door for Kelley to have an awesome week (on my bench). But Baker seems content to play the "closer by committee" game in Washington. Did I mention I hate Crusty...despite his pleasant face and demeanor.

Anyway, after losing out on Adam Frazier (my bid was not even second place), I ended up picking up Andrew Cashner. He has had more walks than strikeouts in his first two starts, but he also has not given up many hits. Kind of a park and watch guy.

I haven't placed a big bid yet ($100+) simply because I haven't seen a player available that I thought would be truly impactful. So, for the time being, I will keep doing what I am doing.

Week 4 Plans - Not much to decide on offense. Still going with Vogt and Weiters at catcher, though both have been disappointing. Napoli, Arenado, and Longoria are on the corners (Morrison on the bench). Gordon, Simmons, and Castro in the Middle (Espinosa on the bench). Outfield of McCutchen, Cain, Trumbo, Ellsbury, and Garcia (Gardner on the bench). Matt Carpenter is my Utility.

Pitching is more problematic. Do I put Kelley in (the Nats have a full seven game schedule) to be a third closer to Kimbrel and Roberston? Probably. Harvey, Kluber and Ray are locks in the rotation. Severino too, though he has two tough starts (@ BOS and vs BAL). That could be ugly. Chen has two starts as does Chavez. Cotton is at Houston and Andriese at Toronto, so there is some light up chances. Cashner has Minnesota. Those last two spots will be a game time decision.

Anyway, it is early, but did I mention I was in first place in my league? I do not get here too often so I will try not to let it go to my head...

Oh yes...now I have to look for a job...play time over!
Charles Krauthammer

Edwards Kings

Post by Edwards Kings » Tue May 30, 2017 9:12 am

Haven’t updated here. Kind of counter intuitive since I have a corporate America induced involuntary vacation thrust upon me (though prospects of jumping back into the nut grinder are good) so I have more time to write and reflect. Guess I have that middle-aged guilt/angst that says I must be working to be worthy. Lots of stuff going on around the house, serving every spousal whim, and looking for a job. All-in-all, feeling in control.

Anyway, I am not drinking to heavily...yet...

As to baseball, compared to others I feel I have been fairly lucky. I did lose Kluber for May (should be back this week) and Cotton as well (also back), so my DL list only contains Ellsbury (knock on wood).

At what is basically the on-third mark of the season, my team shows me fully what it is, good and bad. I have approximately half of my FA budget left (after going long on Addison Reed for $357) which puts a few more than half the teams with more money than me. Reed (like the Mutts) have been shakey at best.

Of the rest of the FA pickups, some are still with me (Morrison $13, Godley $35, Swanson $13) to at least give me some bench options. As it stands now on offense, Vogt (16th round), Napoli (17th), Longoria (10th), Carpenter (5th), McCrutchen (4th), Cain (9th), and Trumbo (7th) have been at least mildly disappointing. To the point that I am surprised to have the fourth most batting points in the league. Todd Whitestone is running away with most offensive categories in our league and that is WITHOUT Marte! Amazing. Not many of my guys are hitting well above their heads other than Starling Castro and Avisail Garcia, so hopefully over the next few months I can pick up some more ground as at least a few from the naughty list improve.At least I am in the hunt with most categories (47.0 points out of SB, HR, RBI, and Runs). My BA lags poorly (7.0 points with a .2578…this is a category I really did not think I was going to have to worry about).

Reed should shore up my saves I hope to go with Kimbrel (brilliant) and Robertson (when will the ChiSox trade him?) though with three closers I hope to have more than my 12.0 points as this strategy puts me off a bit in K’s (9.0 points). Wins are off from what I wanted to have by now, but I am only three wins from league lead, so I am hoping Kluber (2nd round and very disappointing) and Cotton (talented, disappointing 14th round pick). Harvey has been more disaster than Ace (11th round) though his last start was excellent (I take what I can get). I have kinda pieced my starters (a recognized weakness coming out of the draft) together and surprisingly have a decent WHIP for this year (1.225 and 13.0 points) though the ERA has been poor (4.077 and 6.0 points). It is going to be tough to make up points in this category, but if Kluber and Harvey can pitch to old, Cotton pitches to talent, and Ray (12th round), Severino (20th), and Andriese (22nd) can at least pitch to their current levels, I should usually be able to field a respectable staff. Actually, if all those “if’s” happen, I will be dancing!

As it is, I am trolling for weekly starters that have good streaming possibilities (as we all are). Anyway, I will play it cool and see if I can turn up a couple of winner.

Anyway, try not to be surprised, but I am in the money hunt so far this year.

With a little more luck, I can stay competitive.

Good luck all...
Charles Krauthammer

Philly High Hopes

Post by Philly High Hopes » Thu Jun 01, 2017 9:29 am

I hope hope you're enjoying Morrison and his 15 HR power surge. I added him on the first Sunday night FAAB period for $17, if for nothing else than to buy his home run from earlier that day on Opening Day. With Freeman, Belt and Duda already on my roster, I dropped Morrison a week later as another roster need arose. Now with Freeman out, Morrison would surely look a lot nicer in my 1B or corner spot over Belt and/or Duda. It's the little moves that sometimes end up having the biggest impact. On the bright side, I do have Morrison in the AL Only auction, so I do get some sense of satisfaction each time LoMo hits another homer.

Best wishes on the job front as well.

Edwards Kings

Post by Edwards Kings » Thu Jun 01, 2017 1:23 pm

Thanks...I really appreciate that.

I have misused Morrison...by that, I mean not used as much as I should. I have been hoping the 2016 version of Mike Napoli would show up. My mistake.

Oh, and may I say "Welcome the fxxx back Mr. Kluber!"

Charles Krauthammer

Edwards Kings

Post by Edwards Kings » Sun Jun 11, 2017 8:09 am

Got to see a nice little showcase last night. A battle of Lucas'. From the Charlotte Knights, Lucas Giolito pitching versus Gwinnett Braves Lucas Sims. Both are fastball, curveball, change pitchers. For stuff, Giolito three offerings were 93-94 mph, 84-85 curve, and 78-80 change. Take 2-3 mph off that for each for Sims.

Both threw 103 pitches, Sims going 8 and Giolito going 6 2/3. Sims gave up three hits, two walks, and had seven strikeouts on a Knights line-up that had four guys who have seen plenty of MLB action, plus Yoan Moncado (playing second). Sims "stuff" was not as hot as Giolito, but at least two and maybe three times he opened an inning with a three-pitch strikeout, so there must have been some wicked movement (I was behind first base, so could not judge). He also was around the plate nicely (72 strikes) though he gave up two warning track HR to the deepest part of Coolray Field. His motion was pretty tight, consistent and repeatable. At about 6'2", he looked small compared to Giolito (6'5" at least).

Giolito gave up three runs, though really only had one really hard hit ball go against him (a no-doubter HR in the seventh to Gwinnett firstbaseman Tuiasosopo). With two outs, there was a close play at first which honestly could have gone either way to get him out of the inning and the third run scored on a close play at the plate that again could easily have been called an out. All in all, Giolito gave up six hits, walked four and struck out five, though the only bad inning was the seventh and he could have/should have gotten out of that with only the HR against him.

I have to say Giolito has a lot of moving parts. Seems all flailing arms and legs. He's finishing totally off balance (brings his leg WAY over to the first base side) and I do not see him fielding his position well. His pure stuff seems better than Sims based on MPH, though he did work a little deeper into counts (63 strikes in 103 pitches) but again those numbers were a little better before the seventh inning.

The two top prospect bats (Moncado and Dustin Peterson, OF, Braves) for each side were collectively 0-6 with two walks and one K. Peterson did make one great sliding catch from LF. Moncado had few chances in the field, though did apply the tag flawlessly on an attempted steal.

Anyway, great pitching match-up in which Sims got the nod, but it was tight.
Charles Krauthammer

Edwards Kings

Post by Edwards Kings » Mon Jun 12, 2017 9:15 am

I have been fortunate to have three very good weeks out of the last four. As such, as we slog through the middle third of our fantasy season I find my Main Event team in pretty good shape. At this juncture (too late to be early, too early to be sure of anything), my league (Main Event Las Vegas April 1 League 2) has five teams in the money hunt with another four merely waiting for a hot streak to move up out of the middle. The difference between the cumulative stats and therefore points per category are “wafer thin”.

Three or four hits a week separate 8.0 points in BA (me) and 14.0 points in the category. Less than twenty runs separate 11.0 points and 14.0 points (me). Go twenty runs more separate 3.0 points and 10.0 points. Less than twenty RBI’s separate 10.0 points and 14.0 points (I have 11.0 points and five more RBI’s would net me two more points). Twelve HR separate 7.0 points and 13.0 points (I have 12.0 points but am only ahead of the person behind me by one). On SB, the four teams at the top have between 69 and 58 steals. The steals that separate 8.0 and 11.0 points is only one.

In short, basically one hot week by any of a number of teams could cause drastic changes in the current rankings. I want to do a shout out to Todd Whitestone who drafted with his son to my immediate right (Team Gold Star Award). His team has accumulated to date 71.5 batting points WITH losing Starling Marte. That is pretty amazing.

On my bats, I have a couple of clear over-achievers, mainly Starling Castro, Brett Gardner, and Avisail Garcia, but in general, I think I have more under achievers, especially with regards to BA, so in balance I see more upside here than downside.

Perhaps the biggest surprise (luck?) for me has been how I have been able so far to accumulate sufficient pitching points to be where I am right now. Given I basically ditched starting pitching early (one SP in the first ten rounds), it is a miracle that I have generated 48.0 points out of ERA, WHIP, K, and Wins. Of the two average stats, WHIP is a remarkable 1.208 to date in a year where we have seen both ERA and WHIP inch up. My ERA sits around 4.000, which is not good, and not surprising given my first two starters were Kluber (only eight starts with a 4.378 ERA and 1.277 WHIP) and Harvey (whom I have used only for 10 starts with an ERA of 5.464 and a 1.446 WHIP). Yes, I sat Harvey last week due to his poor record against the Braves…ooops!

I was high on another of my starters, Jharel Cotton, but with being sent down and with being inconsistent at best, I have only used him for six games (5.400 ERA; 1.470 WHIP). Not really a good core. The pitchers that are carrying my team are Robbie Ray and Louis Severino. That Robbie Ray has been able, to date (knock on wood), control his walks demon (3:1 K to BB ratio) has turned him into more than a source for strikeouts and allowed him to be a top pitcher (ranked by the NFBC only behind Scherzer, Sale, Kershaw, and Keuchel. Not bad for a 12th round pick (though ADP had him 10th round). Now that is what I call VALUE!

Somebody get a bucket and a bag of Dorito's for Dan...STAT! :D :lol:

I got a similar lucky break on Severino, him being available in the 20th round, but currently providing top 15 SP stats. I have used him for 10 of his 12 games started, and given me better than a K per IP as well as a greater than 4:1 K to BB ratio. The streamers of Miranda, Hammel, Santiago, Chen, and Godley (why did Arizona send him down again?) have been a mixed bag as well as part time starters Chavez and Andriese. Again, this is not an awe inspiring pitching staff, so the points I have accumulated are just about as good as I could have hoped for.

The closers I drafted have been GREAT (welcome back Mr. Kimbrel) and good (please, please, please trade Robertson will you White Sox?). My biggest FA pick-up, Reed, has done me well (seven saves with a K per IP), but he too is only as good as his team (I bet the Mets wish they could play the Braves every day). I will not win the Saves category, even with using three closers (which given where I am with Wins and K’s, another surprise) as in my league we have a team using at four or five every week (though unfortunately just lost Glover). I have 13.0 points in that category and am chasing KJ Duke, who is using only two closers but wisely chose Greg Holland as one of them. Only four saves separates 14.0 points and 12.0 points. The Coldwater Coyotes (Will Tyrer) was, like me, using three, but Tony Watson’s run of bad luck may cost him one.

Anyway, my team is what it is, and right now that is pretty good. There are some long weeks ahead but right now, it feels good to be....

Week 11 FAAB – As lucky as my starting pitching has been, I was hoping for a little luck Sunday when I had Jesse Chavez and David Paulino going against each other. I was hoping for a down day for the two teams offenses, but didn’t get it. Oh well…my primary goal was to get two streamers for Paulino and Santiago. I put middling bids in ($11 and $8) on Alec Asher and Jason Hammel (again) to win both. No one else bid on either so I must be reading different tea leaves. I admit I am hoping to see life out of Hammel before really using him, but Asher’s two starts next week (@CHW and vs STL) look promising to me. While Asher will not wow you with K’s, he has given up less than a hit per inning and is not walking many. The ChiSox have not been good at all, at home, nor against RHers. Likewise St. Louis has not done very well on the road or against RHers, so looks like a promising roll of the dice with good odds.

I hated to, but I also dropped Jacoby Ellsbury. Just not sure when he will be back and with Hicks (whom I had LAST year of course) hitting so well, I have to risk letting him go though he was playing pretty well before he kissed the wall. San Fransciso plays a weekend series in Colorado, so I thought the $11 bid was pretty decent for Austin Slater, my second choice. I also bid $11 on Malox Smith and just missed (winning bid $227).

Week 11 Roster – So many pitching slots, so many mediocre opportunities. Do I risk two start Cotton (@MIA and vs NYY)? Chavez (vs KC)? Harvey (vs CHC)? Hammel (@SF)? Will Godley pitch (probably not)? Will Andriese go back on the DL (probably)? I need to fill two out of those choices.

For batting the question is for the first half of the week is four game LAA and Andrelton Simmons or three game ATL and Dansby Swanson, or two game MIA and Dee Gordon going to net me the most stats?

Good luck!
Charles Krauthammer

headhunters

Post by headhunters » Mon Jun 12, 2017 10:49 am

gotta love your write ups. was that robbie ray 10th round adp from that same alternate universe as that $11 bid on maliex smith? same math? i bid $225 and you kinda suckered me into thinking i was the sucker- because i hadn't looked at the bids yet. of course i still may be the sucker and the $11 bid might be his true "worth"- whatever that is.

Edwards Kings

Post by Edwards Kings » Mon Jun 12, 2017 4:22 pm

Oops...guess I looked at that ADP a bit wrong...oh, well...instead I stretched for him and so far so good!

As to Smith, I honestly do not what his value would be, but I knew I was not going to blow $100+ on him. I sure would like to see him succeed, but that $11 bid was just for shits and grins. No real expectation of success on my part there.

Glad you enjoy the write up! :lol:
Charles Krauthammer

Edwards Kings

Post by Edwards Kings » Mon Jun 12, 2017 6:51 pm

And the Braves 1st round pick? A pitcher of course!

Kyle Wright, RHP, Vanderbilt. From a MLB Draft Mock:

At this point, Wright going with the top pick seems to be the consensus for most of the draft evaluators out there — Baseball America’s John Manuel, MLB.com (both Jim Callis and Jonathan Mayo) and ESPN’s Keith Law all have him there in their most recent mocks. Wright’s a tall right-hander starring at a powerhouse college program with a mid-90s fastball and hard curveball; that’s about as sure of a thing as the MLB Draft ever offers.

And more....

Wright was well-known to scouts as a high school pitcher from New Market, Alabama, and was considered the top prep pitcher in the state in 2014 by many experts. However, he was so strongly committed to college at Vanderbilt that nobody bothered to draft him at all.

He pitched out of the Vandy bullpen in 2015 and was lights-out, posting a 1.23 ERA in 59 innings with a 62/23 K/BB, allowing a mere 36 hits, then moved into the rotation as a sophomore, going 8-4, 3.09 in 16 starts with a 107/32 K/BB in 93 innings.

He entered the 2017 draft season as a candidate to go first-overall. His spring has been inconsistent, with a 3.66 ERA in 11 starts and a 69/24 K/BB in 66 innings. Although he hasn’t had the breakout season scouts wanted to see, he’s pitched more effectively lately, enough to keep him in contention for early spots in the first round.

STRENGTHS

When Wright got to college he was listed at 6-3, 195 pounds and looked skinnier than that.

Born October 2nd, 1995, he’s gained size and strength over the last three years and currently checks in at 6-4, 220, ideal size for a starting pitcher. In high school he threw 86-90 MPH but that’s up to 92-95 now with peaks as high as 97. His velocity was reportedly off a bit during some early starts this season but has picked back up in April and he’s still shown the ability to dominate, notably in a 13-strikeout start against the Florida Gators on April 14th.

Wright will mix in a full complement of secondary pitches including a curve, slider, cutter, and change-up. The best secondary depends on what day you see him but the curve and slider seem a bit ahead of the change-up. His command is not perfect but when he’s locked in he throws four quality major league pitches for strikes. He’s also proven quite durable to this point in his career.

WEAKNESSES

Wright’s junior year hasn’t been as good as expected and at times this spring the whole has been less than the sum of the parts. This is similar in some ways to what happened with former Vanderbilt starter and 2014 San Francisco Giants first round pick Tyler Beede, who had a spotty junior year due to command issues but was still drafted 14th overall.

Wright could follow a similar pattern, although even with his inconsistency this spring Wright is still having a better year than Beede did in ‘14.

OVERALL

There was talk of Wright being a first-overall candidate three months ago. That has cooled, but given his complete package it is very hard to see Wright falling out of the top ten.
Charles Krauthammer

headhunters

Post by headhunters » Tue Jun 13, 2017 9:47 am

this is more of an nfl draft thing - but when i see a college team get lots of 1st round picks- i hope to see them win or finish top 4 for national title. works for alabama etc but when you see a team that doesn't do that well- most of the time many of those picks are busts. vanderbuilt has done well- but man have they had a lot of high picks for a team that loses a lot of games.