Who designed the Braves SunTrust Stadium?

Rainiers

Who designed the Braves SunTrust Stadium?

Post by Rainiers » Wed Feb 22, 2017 1:15 pm

I was just looking at sketches, and dang if the whole darn thing isn't facing almost due south. Seems to me that's going to be miserable for the fans.

Also miserable for the hitters in the late afternoon. Especially the right-handed batters looking right into the sun on those April and September day games.
- Robert

Edwards Kings

Re: Who designed the Braves SunTrust Stadium?

Post by Edwards Kings » Wed Feb 22, 2017 2:28 pm

The location sure sucks, but I didn't think the sun was going to be an issue for the hitters if the stadium faces basically south with the sun setting in the west?

But as to your general question as to who designed the stadium, it was a bunch of money-grubbing jerks...

"Wait...wait...and let's stick the stadium right on the corner where two interstates intersect and is one of the worst traffic locations in the United States!"
Baseball is a slow, boring, complex, cerebral game that doesn't lend itself to histrionics. You 'take in' a baseball game, something odd to say about a football or basketball game, with the clock running and the bodies flying.
Charles Krauthammer

Rainiers

Post by Rainiers » Wed Feb 22, 2017 3:26 pm

[quote="Edwards Kings"}

"But as to your general question as to who designed the stadium, it was a bunch of money-grubbing jerks"

Turner Field was only 20 years old...what exactly was wrong with it?

Its kind of ridiculous that we are essentially building throw-away disposable stadiums built with taxpayer moneys and/or publically-backed loans. Metrodome only 32 years of use. Kingdome just 25 years old when demolished. Riverfront Stadium 30 years. At least those cities got significant upgrades.

Is SunTrust a significant upgrade over Turner Field?
- Robert

Brian Jenner

Post by Brian Jenner » Wed Feb 22, 2017 4:00 pm

I'm 33 years old and this is the third stadium, all in Atlanta, that I can actively remember the Braves playing in. Doesn't seem that long ago I was watching Kelly Gruber doing the chop down the third base line during the World Series at Atlanta Fulton County Stadium.

King of Queens

Post by King of Queens » Wed Feb 22, 2017 6:03 pm

Rainiers wrote:Who designed the Braves SunTrust Stadium?
Populous (formerly HOK Sport), the same folks that designed:

Marlins Park (2012)
Target Field (2010)
Citi Field (2009)
Yankee Stadium (2009)
Nationals Park (2008)
Busch Stadium (2006)
Citizens Bank Park (2004)
Petco Park (2004)
Great American Ball Park (2003)
PNC Park (2001)
AT&T Park (2000)
Comerica Park (2000)
Minute Maid Park (2000)
Coors Field (1995)
Progressive Field (1994)
Oriole Park at Camden Yards (1992)
Guaranteed Rate Field (1991)

With only 7 exceptions -- Miller Park (2001), Safeco Field (1999), Chase Field (1998), Turner Field (1997), Globe Life Park in Arlington (1994), Tropicana Field (1990), and Rogers Centre (1989) -- Populous has designed every stadium built since 1973.

JohnP

Post by JohnP » Wed Feb 22, 2017 6:48 pm

King of Queens wrote:

Marlins Park (2012)
Target Field (2010)
Citi Field (2009)
Yankee Stadium (2009)
Nationals Park (2008)
Busch Stadium (2006)
Petco Park (2004)
PNC Park (2001)
AT&T Park (2000)
Comerica Park (2000)
Minute Maid Park (2000)
Coors Field (1995)
Progressive Field (1994)

With only 7 exceptions -- Miller Park (2001), Safeco Field (1999), Chase Field (1998), Turner Field (1997), Globe Life Park in Arlington (1994), Tropicana Field (1990), and Rogers Centre (1989) -- Populous has designed every stadium built since 1973.
Wow. I had no idea. Really fascinating. Also....time goes by so fast. I would have guessed that Camden for example was much newer than 1992. Guaranteed Rate Field - ugh, how bad is that name?!

Edwards Kings

Post by Edwards Kings » Wed Feb 22, 2017 7:09 pm

Rainiers wrote:
Turner Field was only 20 years old...what exactly was wrong with it?

Its kind of ridiculous that we are essentially building throw-away disposable stadiums built with taxpayer moneys and/or publically-backed loans. Metrodome only 32 years of use. Kingdome just 25 years old when demolished. Riverfront Stadium 30 years. At least those cities got significant upgrades.

Is SunTrust a significant upgrade over Turner Field?
City of Atlanta, in those 20 years, never addressed the fact that MARTA did not have a rail line to the stadium, did little to upgrade the Ted, didn't commit to helping develop upscale mixed use around the stadium (i.e. gentrify the area), and then tossed millions for a new facility for the Falcons.

Cobb County raped their taxpayers and abracadabra...Sun Trust. Yes, the whole package will be a significant upgrade to the Ted.
Baseball is a slow, boring, complex, cerebral game that doesn't lend itself to histrionics. You 'take in' a baseball game, something odd to say about a football or basketball game, with the clock running and the bodies flying.
Charles Krauthammer

Bronx Yankees

Post by Bronx Yankees » Wed Feb 22, 2017 9:54 pm

King of Queens wrote:

Marlins Park (2012)
Target Field (2010)
Citi Field (2009)
Yankee Stadium (2009)
Nationals Park (2008)
Busch Stadium (2006)
Petco Park (2004)
PNC Park (2001)
AT&T Park (2000)
Comerica Park (2000)
Minute Maid Park (2000)
Coors Field (1995)
Progressive Field (1994)

Wow! Had no idea one company had designed all of those stadiums. Really interesting. Well, some of their work may be some of the finest in the game.

Mike
Mike Mager
"Bronx Yankees"

Rainiers

Post by Rainiers » Wed Feb 22, 2017 11:22 pm

Jackal wrote:I'm 33 years old and this is the third stadium, all in Atlanta, that I can actively remember the Braves playing in. Doesn't seem that long ago I was watching Kelly Gruber doing the chop down the third base line during the World Series at Atlanta Fulton County Stadium.
Let's see. Atlanta Fulton Stadium was used for 30 years. The Ted for 20 years. Suntrust will be used for what, say 10 years? According to my algorithms, by the time you are 64 years old, you'll be getting a new stadium every 3 and a half days.
Last edited by Rainiers on Wed Feb 22, 2017 11:37 pm, edited 1 time in total.
- Robert

Rainiers

Post by Rainiers » Wed Feb 22, 2017 11:36 pm

King of Queens wrote:

Marlins Park (2012)
Target Field (2010)
Citi Field (2009)
Yankee Stadium (2009)
Nationals Park (2008)
Busch Stadium (2006)
Petco Park (2004)
PNC Park (2001)
AT&T Park (2000)
Comerica Park (2000)
Minute Maid Park (2000)
Coors Field (1995)
Progressive Field (1994)

Many great stadiums to be sure. HOK was, and Populous continues to be, a major trend setter in the industry.

But back to the starting point of this thread...none of these stadiums, and no other outdoor MLB ballpark in the majors, faces southerly to the degree this one does. To me this is an interesting experiment.

Why does the MLB rule book explicitly recommend that stadiums face ENE? It's not just so we understand what a southpaw is. I suspect it's for the fans comfort, as well as to maximize the hitter's ability to see and to be able hit the baseball.

And it makes me wonder what impact, if any, SunTrusts orientation will have on player performance.
- Robert

King of Queens

Post by King of Queens » Thu Feb 23, 2017 6:40 am

Major League Baseball Rule 1.04 states: "It is desirable that the line from home base through the pitchers plate to second base shall run East Northeast."

So there's really no "must." But it's suggested that way for sun purposes.

Also, that's where the term "southpaw" for a lefthanded pitcher came from. If the stadium is set up the way MLB suggests, the arm of a lefthanded pitcher is facing the south.

http://www.ballparks.com/baseball/gener ... /diamonds/

Looking at the link, it appears that teams don't have much regard for Rule 1.04 anymore! However, all of the 6 older stadiums (Fenway, Wrigley, Dodger, Angel, Oakland, Kaufman) do seem to follow the suggestion.

King of Queens

Post by King of Queens » Thu Feb 23, 2017 7:41 am

Rainiers wrote: But back to the starting point of this thread...none of these stadiums, and no other outdoor MLB ballpark in the majors, faces southerly to the degree this one does. To me this is an interesting experiment.
It appears that Comerica Park has similar orientation to SunTrust Park. Other outdoor stadiums that are similar (but slightly more easterly) are PNC, Great American, Guaranteed Rate, and Globe Life. You could add Miller Park, although you do have a retractable roof there.
Rainiers wrote: Why does the MLB rule book explicitly recommend that stadiums face ENE? It's not just so we understand what a southpaw is. I suspect it's for the fans comfort, as well as to maximize the hitter's ability to see and to be able hit the baseball.
Lots of factors go into this. Yes, the sun is important, as you want the sun setting behind third base and fewer balls going to right field (more RH than LH batters). However, you also have to consider wind, outfield scenery, placement of owner's executive suite, etc.

Every stadium is different in baseball -- definitely one of the charms of the sport.

headhunters

Post by headhunters » Thu Feb 23, 2017 9:58 am

sox park faces east- southeast. just weird the way the wind blows there. you would think it would blow in more than it does. but it does suppress lefty power vs help righty power somewhat.

Rainiers

Post by Rainiers » Thu Feb 23, 2017 12:40 pm

Really good links to look at, King of Queens.

I suppose that decades ago, stadium orientation was more important... when most games were played during the day.

Comerica was the most southerly-facing modern stadium up until SunTrust.

I found the following article on-line regarding the strikeout rate at Comerica: http://www.fangraphs.com/blogs/comerica ... trikeouts/

The findings of that report are not what I expected, it finds that the Comerica actually decreases strikeouts by about 10%. The article credits Comerica's great batter's eye, even at night.

I also found other articles/blogs that were written from a fan-experience perspective about Comerica. Comerica tends to be an uncomfortable ballpark to watch a day game in, given that there are so many seats that are sun-trenched the entire game. I imagine that there will be lots of similar seats at SunTrust in the same boat.
- Robert

converge241

Post by converge241 » Fri Feb 24, 2017 6:59 am

I had the same reaction others did that it was too soon for a new stadium, some folks explained since it was adopted for baseball after the Olympics that it was not up to snuff.

I say "screw that noise Jack", just dont buy it!

Whats worse is Arz and Tex crying for new ones; the parks are too new and frankly great looking parks. I will admit aesthetically the braves park didnt look as good but so what?

Maybe im jaded; Ive got fenway. Sure its nostalgic but try sitting in those wooden torture devices built for the apparently 5 foot human race of 1900 facing a hard angle the wrong way :)

Edwards Kings

Post by Edwards Kings » Fri Feb 24, 2017 8:17 am

converge241 wrote:I had the same reaction others did that it was too soon for a new stadium, some folks explained since it was adopted for baseball after the Olympics that it was not up to snuff.
Ehhh...not sure I agree with those folks. I always found the Ted to be a good spot to see games, but I guess the current trend towards more and more luxury boxes may have made it dated? Just my opinion. I guess the owners will not be happy until the only seats available to gen pop will be behind the foul poles in the third level.
converge241 wrote:I will admit aesthetically the braves park didnt look as good but so what?
Actually, I thought it was nice. What was not aesthetic about it? I mean, it was no Marlins Park, but what is? :lol:
Charles Krauthammer