Let's Do A Q&A With Greg and Tom

Greg Ambrosius

Let's Do A Q&A With Greg and Tom

Post by Greg Ambrosius » Fri Feb 17, 2017 11:26 am

We've been so busy filling up leagues that we haven't spent as much time on the boards conversing with our die-hard baseball players. Let's keep this open thread available between now and Opening Day to answer any and all of your questions. We'll take baseball questions, contest questions, company questions and even personal questions. Wanna know how Tom's love life is going? Feel free to ask!! ;)

Anyway, we should always have a thread like this open, but here it is now. We're available at all times to talk baseball and update you on our contests, so ask away.

Play Ball and thanks everyone for making this the best baseball community in the industry.
Greg Ambrosius
Founder, National Fantasy Baseball Championship
General Manager, Consumer Fantasy Games at SportsHub Technologies
Twitter - @GregAmbrosius

76erfan

Re: Let's Do A Q&A With Greg and Tom

Post by 76erfan » Fri Feb 17, 2017 11:48 am

With live events just about a month away...can you give us a status update on where we are(lower, higher, about what was projected) on the following overall contests:

Main Events
Live Auctions
Cutline
OLC
DC

Edwards Kings

Post by Edwards Kings » Fri Feb 17, 2017 12:16 pm

I hear Tom's love life is just fine...

...and she cooks too!

What is your take on Springer this year? Racked up some stats last year in 644 AB...repeatable? 29 HR is not bad at all but are we ever going to see his full power profile given his ground ball tint? The next Jason Heyward?

You've made the decision to not bite on Kershaw/Scherzer/MadBum/Sale/Thor/Kluber. But that is OK, I am going to grab.....? Why?

Some people who will remain namless feel that a walk is so much worse than a strikeout. :D Villar has the balls to take a few balls and his OBP skyrockets allowing him to steal 62 bases (OK, the unsustainable hit percentage helped too). Still, will Villar come close to repeating? Power? You want him in the second round or will you pay $30 for him in your auction?

OK, the top 30 cornermen are gone by the 10th/11th round. I am ok because I am going to grab...? Moustakas? Castellanos? Joseph?
Baseball is a slow, boring, complex, cerebral game that doesn't lend itself to histrionics. You 'take in' a baseball game, something odd to say about a football or basketball game, with the clock running and the bodies flying.
Charles Krauthammer

DOUGHBOYS

Post by DOUGHBOYS » Fri Feb 17, 2017 12:36 pm

When SportsHub takes over the technology, will it be a complete overhaul?

Or will it be a finely (finally) tuning of current NFBC draft rooms and such?
On my tombstone-
Wait! I never had the perfect draft!

Yah Mule

Post by Yah Mule » Fri Feb 17, 2017 1:01 pm

What got each of you interested in fantasy sports?

I can trace my fascination with baseball stats back to Babe Ruth. I was reading a book on baseball statistics as a little kid and I still remember my sense of amazement when I found out he was a pitcher before he blew the hitting record book to pieces. I began buying baseball cards in the early 70's and I was constantly arranging players into lineups and holding my own version of mock drafts. Only hitters usually. In my childlike innocence I could somehow sense that pitchers were an undependable breed that were destined to break my heart repeatedly.

I recall reading about the first* fantasy baseball league, formed at a French restaurant called the Rotisserie, in Sports Illustrated and being green with jealousy. I still prefer the term Roto baseball to Fantasy baseball. It wasn't until 1988 that I was able to get into my first league. It was a six team NL Only affair and the commissioner was transparently crooked, but I was hooked.

I had to make do with salary cap games (which are not my thing at all) until I got on the internet. Sandbox and its terrible points system was next. Eventually I would up @ CBS for several years before you guys took me in.

*I'm aware there were antecedents.

Tom Kessenich

Post by Tom Kessenich » Fri Feb 17, 2017 1:11 pm

Yah Mule wrote:What got each of you interested in fantasy sports?
My first fantasy league was a football league I started with my best friend when we were both in college. That was in 1986 and the league still exists today. I began playing fantasy baseball in an NL-only auction keeper league three years later and stayed in that league for about a decade or so. It was a great way to expand my love of sports and deepened my appreciation for football and baseball.

Plus, fantasy sports appealed to the general manager in me who loves roster construction. That was and still remains the No. 1 reason I love season-long contests. Nothing compares to putting a team together, managing it throughout the season with the goal of winning a championship. As much as I enjoy DFS it doesn't come anywhere near that which is why I much prefer the season-long format.

So yeah I've been playing for a long time now. I'm old. :(
Tom Kessenich
Manager of High Stakes Fantasy Games, SportsHub Technologies
Twitter - @TomKessenich

Gekko

Post by Gekko » Fri Feb 17, 2017 1:21 pm

How is the NFBC handling Christian Bethancourt position eligibility? He's currently eligible at catcher; however reports indicate he may get more time as a RP. It's also not out of the realm of possibility that he accumulates some saves this year given the Padres bullpen. Thanks!

Greg Ambrosius

Post by Greg Ambrosius » Fri Feb 17, 2017 1:21 pm

76erfan wrote:With live events just about a month away...can you give us a status update on where we are(lower, higher, about what was projected) on the following overall contests:

Main Events
Live Auctions
Cutline
OLC
DC
The Draft Champions Leagues are dominating everything and in checking today we are about 10 leagues ahead of last year's total at this time. We sold out the Platinum and Diamond Drafts this year in record time. We were trying to sell those out a week before the live drafts last year. Auction Championships are on a record pace, but that being said we still have to fill up all of these that have 10, 11, and 12 teams in them. But all of that looks really good.

Cutline is slower than last year and the Online Championship is selling out the leagues we're sporadically offered so far. We believe both contests will finish strong. As for the Cutline, we added $20,000 in prizes there this year, so hopefully we do top last year's 1,450 teams and hopefully by about 200 teams!!!

We're all looking for some spring training games and visually seeing the game again. That's when people will finalize their plans for our live events.
Greg Ambrosius
Twitter - @GregAmbrosius

Greg Ambrosius

Post by Greg Ambrosius » Fri Feb 17, 2017 1:30 pm

DOUGHBOYS wrote:When SportsHub takes over the technology, will it be a complete overhaul?

Or will it be a finely (finally) tuning of current NFBC draft rooms and such?
It will be a complete overhaul. In fact, they are building this now. With the sale going through in November, there was no way for SportsHub to build our game that quickly along with a new draft room, so STATS agreed to run our games through 2017 as we build out our new site, draft software, Message Boards, and community of games.

I think 2018 NFBC will be our debut with everything, starting slow drafts shortly after the World Series. That's the target date we gave the group yesterday. It will be fully tested and ready to go. They have our "want list" for everything requested to date and I think all of it will be added. Our bosses drove to Iola yesterday for meetings and the support has been first rate. We're getting everything we need, including help from a third person (Darik Buchar). Darik is a former NFBC and NFFC player who will be in Las Vegas both weekends to help us live and online. He's a great addition to our team.

It's a shame that it's going to take a full year to get this all coded and ready for launch, but we all know that this is what we needed. With a full team of programmers working not only on our products but CDM as well, we should be quicker to add things and hands-on with everything we do. Any suggestions for improvements can be implemented quickly once we launch our own software.

Hope this helps. Until next year, STATS will continue to run the NFBC in-season games for us.
Greg Ambrosius
Twitter - @GregAmbrosius

Greg Ambrosius

Post by Greg Ambrosius » Fri Feb 17, 2017 1:43 pm

Edwards Kings wrote:What is your take on Springer this year? Racked up some stats last year in 644 AB...repeatable? 29 HR is not bad at all but are we ever going to see his full power profile given his ground ball tint? The next Jason Heyward?

You've made the decision to not bite on Kershaw/Scherzer/MadBum/Sale/Thor/Kluber. But that is OK, I am going to grab.....? Why?

Some people who will remain namless feel that a walk is so much worse than a strikeout. :D Villar has the balls to take a few balls and his OBP skyrockets allowing him to steal 62 bases (OK, the unsustainable hit percentage helped too). Still, will Villar come close to repeating? Power? You want him in the second round or will you pay $30 for him in your auction?

OK, the top 30 cornermen are gone by the 10th/11th round. I am ok because I am going to grab...? Moustakas? Castellanos? Joseph?
Spring is no Jason Heyward, that's for sure. I like him a lot. We wanted him at 32 in the FSTA Draft, but he was gone at like 19. I think there's 30-20 potential there (he was caught stealing 10 times last year).

For me it would be Johnny Cueto. Love the pitcher, love the ballpark, love 200 K's. We took Yu Darvish and Cueto in the FSTA league and grabbing Hamels later gave us a solid trio. Cueto and Hamels for me if I didn't grab a pitcher in the first three rounds because I think you can still get 200 Ks and solid ERA's and WHIP's.

No, I'm not going ALL IN on Villar. There are a lot of other stolen base threats out there. I have no idea how he hit 19 homers, but I don't see it happening again. I'm not sold on him.

Moustakas. I liked his season last year before the injury. Still upside there with Mouse.
Greg Ambrosius
Twitter - @GregAmbrosius

Greg Ambrosius

Post by Greg Ambrosius » Fri Feb 17, 2017 1:47 pm

Gekko wrote:How is the NFBC handling Christian Bethancourt position eligibility? He's currently eligible at catcher; however reports indicate he may get more time as a RP. It's also not out of the realm of possibility that he accumulates some saves this year given the Padres bullpen. Thanks!
He's a catcher now. I suppose once he pitches 10 times he would gain eligibility there. If that happens you'd have to put him at one position for the week and get either his pitching or hitting results. But he hasn't pitched yet, so he's a catcher only. You only get his offensive stats right now.
Greg Ambrosius
Twitter - @GregAmbrosius

Gekko

Post by Gekko » Fri Feb 17, 2017 1:51 pm

Greg Ambrosius wrote:
Gekko wrote:How is the NFBC handling Christian Bethancourt position eligibility? He's currently eligible at catcher; however reports indicate he may get more time as a RP. It's also not out of the realm of possibility that he accumulates some saves this year given the Padres bullpen. Thanks!
He's a catcher now. I suppose once he pitches 10 times he would gain eligibility there. If that happens you'd have to put him at one position for the week and get either his pitching or hitting results. But he hasn't pitched yet, so he's a catcher only. You only get his offensive stats right now.

Sounds good!

Greg Ambrosius

Post by Greg Ambrosius » Fri Feb 17, 2017 1:51 pm

Yah Mule wrote:What got each of you interested in fantasy sports?

I can trace my fascination with baseball stats back to Babe Ruth. I was reading a book on baseball statistics as a little kid and I still remember my sense of amazement when I found out he was a pitcher before he blew the hitting record book to pieces. I began buying baseball cards in the early 70's and I was constantly arranging players into lineups and holding my own version of mock drafts. Only hitters usually. In my childlike innocence I could somehow sense that pitchers were an undependable breed that were destined to break my heart repeatedly.

I recall reading about the first* fantasy baseball league, formed at a French restaurant called the Rotisserie, in Sports Illustrated and being green with jealousy. I still prefer the term Roto baseball to Fantasy baseball. It wasn't until 1988 that I was able to get into my first league. It was a six team NL Only affair and the commissioner was transparently crooked, but I was hooked.

I had to make do with salary cap games (which are not my thing at all) until I got on the internet. Sandbox and its terrible points system was next. Eventually I would up @ CBS for several years before you guys took me in.

*I'm aware there were antecedents.
I was a radio and TV major at the University of Wisconsin-Platteville and a bunch of guys at the campus radio station played APBA and announced every roll of the dice like Harry Caray. You had 12 guys practicing their play-by-play through the roll of dice. These guys held a draft of the cards and eventually added me to the league. It was a blast. About four years after graduation we found the book by Glenn Waggoner "Rotisserie League Baseball: The Official Handbook" and reunited the league with annual drafts at a southwestern Wisconsin bar. We created baseball and football leagues in 1986 and continued those leagues for almost 20 years.

In 1989 I saw an ad for an editor of an upstart Rotisserie baseball magazine, applied for the job and got it. My career and life changed from that moment on.
Greg Ambrosius
Twitter - @GregAmbrosius

Tom Kessenich

Post by Tom Kessenich » Fri Feb 17, 2017 1:51 pm

Greg Ambrosius wrote: No, I'm not going ALL IN on Villar. There are a lot of other stolen base threats out there. I have no idea how he hit 19 homers, but I don't see it happening again. I'm not sold on him.
So much of Villar's 2016 season screams outlier to me. I'm always concerned about players who post numbers in a season dramatically different than what they had done before. I think he can be a strong source for steals but I am concerned the average and power regresses.
Tom Kessenich
Twitter - @TomKessenich

JohnP

Post by JohnP » Fri Feb 17, 2017 2:03 pm

Is the legislation stuff a real threat to season long games? Any update?

When you say that 2018 NFBC will be the debut of Sportshub technology - does that mean 2017 NFFC will still be Stats or will that be the new programming?

Fangraphs is projecting the Brewers with 68 wins. Over or under? As a Brewer fan, are you satisfied with what Stearns / Attanasio has done?

Deadheadz

Post by Deadheadz » Fri Feb 17, 2017 2:23 pm

Will winnings be available in an eWallet immediately after the season ends? Will that money be available to use for the post season contest, assuming there is one?

Regarding the post season contest, are you committed to offering a limited number of entries and a set grand prize amount or will you consider a modest grand prize with the potential of a larger prize if signups exceed expectations?

The Bill Buckner of FAAB
Deadheadz

Greg Ambrosius

Post by Greg Ambrosius » Fri Feb 17, 2017 2:25 pm

JohnP wrote:Is the legislation stuff a real threat to season long games? Any update?

When you say that 2018 NFBC will be the debut of Sportshub technology - does that mean 2017 NFFC will still be Stats or will that be the new programming?

Fangraphs is projecting the Brewers with 68 wins. Over or under? As a Brewer fan, are you satisfied with what Stearns / Attanasio has done?
Legislation is the BIGGEST threat to season long games. In the next year it's inevitable that we'll have to exempt more states. Heck, check out the wording of the latest Illinois bill. It's downright scary. When you have states like Nebraska asking for $10,000 and a cut of revenue you can just see how something is going to have to give. If we pay that in every state we'll have to reduce the payout percentage for prizes or just exempt a bunch of states.

I'm not sure what is going to have to happen to get these states to realize that season-long games don't generate the kind of revenue that they're seeking. Even exempting their residents from our contests don't affect these legislators as evidenced by Virginia. What we need is one national law that differentiates between season-long and DFS and a fair percentage of net revenue if it provides consumer protection. That's doable for everyone; but a flat licensing fee of five figures per state is going to make it very tough for all season-long games to continue.

If we wait on football for SportsHub to code every single page we won't have any drafts until August. So we've decided to pay STATS to update our web site and to run our games for one more season. Again, if we don't do that we won't have any slow drafts or online drafts for months because there is so much to do to recreate our web site, build the draft room, build out Registration and more. If we just work with STATS through football we can then launch everything fully tested by November 2018. I'm confident this is the best way to go.

Under 68 wins. Yeah, I like the prospects they've gotten and they are starting to build something. They still need more minor-league arms, but he's getting good, young talent. Again, that doesn't always translate into major league success, but the Brewers are doing the right thing and the fans are being patient with them. I think they will be fun to watch starting in 2018 and then maybe we can contend for a playoff spot again. But yeah, thumbs up to Stearns so far.
Greg Ambrosius
Twitter - @GregAmbrosius

76erfan

Post by 76erfan » Fri Feb 17, 2017 2:28 pm

Are you guys in real trouble next Thursday with the G/T auction? As Greg told me yesterday....is it a donation? Or are you guys coming up with a winning game plan? :)

Greg Ambrosius

Post by Greg Ambrosius » Fri Feb 17, 2017 2:32 pm

Deadheadz wrote:.

Will winnings be available in an eWallet immediately after the season ends? Will that money be available to use for the post season contest, assuming there is one?

Regarding the post season contest, are you committed to offering a limited number of entries and a set grand prize amount or will you consider a modest grand prize with the potential of a larger prize if signups exceed expectations?

LeagueSafe is part of SportsHub Technologies now, so yes we will start using their ewallet system starting with baseball. We still have some work to do to integrate it with our products, but yes that's the plan. We will deposit your winnings into your Player Account and you can then decide how you want payment and if you want to keep it in your account to purchase other products like the baseball post-season contest. It should work similar to what you have with the DFS companies.

There will be a baseball post-season contest this year. We were between being sold from STATS to SportsHub at that time and the contest was due for a sizeable loss. It wasn't fair to either company as they were finalizing the deal to go forward with a contest that had little demand. We hadn't charged anyone at that point and the move made the most sense.

I think the ewallet will make it easier for people to buy post-season teams and I'll change the prize payout. It was based on 400 teams last year. Maybe we make it 300 teams and have fun with those who want to play that game for a fair payout. But yes, we'll offer the baseball post-season contest this year and hope for the best.
Greg Ambrosius
Twitter - @GregAmbrosius

Yah Mule

Post by Yah Mule » Fri Feb 17, 2017 4:59 pm

Thanks for the origin stories, guys. I really enjoyed them. A dozen guys doing Harry Caray impersonations had to be hilarious.

Greg Ambrosius

Post by Greg Ambrosius » Fri Feb 17, 2017 5:01 pm

76erfan wrote:Are you guys in real trouble next Thursday with the G/T auction? As Greg told me yesterday....is it a donation? Or are you guys coming up with a winning game plan? :)
It's definitely a donation. :mrgreen:
Greg Ambrosius
Twitter - @GregAmbrosius

Greg Ambrosius

Post by Greg Ambrosius » Fri Feb 17, 2017 5:03 pm

Yah Mule wrote:Thanks for the origin stories, guys. I really enjoyed them. A dozen guys doing Harry Caray impersonations had to be hilarious.
Every single one of them was embarrassing. :lol:
Greg Ambrosius
Twitter - @GregAmbrosius

Greg Ambrosius

Post by Greg Ambrosius » Fri Feb 17, 2017 5:05 pm

As I told Mike today, things are looking good for us in New York City. Tout Wars will be broadcast on SiriusXM Fantasy Sports Radio on Saturday and Sunday March 25 and 26. I think we'll get a live broadcast on Friday of our New York MTM Ultimate League. They are excited to hear the stakes are at $5,000 per team.

We still have some work to do with Sirius to make this happen, but things are looking good. It should be great exposure for our New York players, for the NFBC and for SiriusXM. Hope it works out.
Greg Ambrosius
Twitter - @GregAmbrosius

RobSilver

Post by RobSilver » Fri Feb 17, 2017 5:20 pm

Greg Ambrosius wrote:

Is this how you think you will handle Shohei Otani if/when he comes and is both a top pitcher and hitter? That you can swap him between pitcher and hitter week by week? Not sure that's ideal but not sure I know the right answer either.

Tom Kessenich

Post by Tom Kessenich » Fri Feb 17, 2017 5:27 pm

76erfan wrote:Are you guys in real trouble next Thursday with the G/T auction? As Greg told me yesterday....is it a donation? Or are you guys coming up with a winning game plan? :)
My plan is to get Trout, Betts, Bryant, Altuve, Arenado and Goldschmidt as my core and of course KRod because I love me some KRod.

#Championship
Tom Kessenich
Twitter - @TomKessenich