A Fourth Ultimate League??

Greg Ambrosius

Post by Greg Ambrosius » Fri Feb 23, 2007 11:28 am

Okay, we have 15 owners for the Ultimate Auction League in Las Vegas. We have 30 owners for the Ultimate Draft League among the four cities, with 14 in New York and 12 in Las Vegas. We definitely can make two leagues easily there.

We also have five guys who want to do the Ultimate Draft League if we could get a fourth league going. Today I got another call from two guys who are considering the Ultimate League, so I decided to add this post. There's nothing that says we HAVE to go up to 15 teams for a fourth Ultimate League. If you like the format and the big league payout, we can still do this on Sunday, March 18th with 12 teams or even fewer. Obviously the prize pool would change some, but the basic percentage could be improved a bit if needed.

So I'll just put this out there and allow anyone who has any interest in a smaller Ultimate Draft League on Sunday, March 18th to contact me and I'll hold their name for now. We could even hook you up via the phone for this one if needed since we'll be spread among different cities anyway. So contact me via PM or at [email protected] if you have any interest and we'll see where this takes us.

If we end at three Ultimate Leagues, no problem. That will be a good year. But I'd like to get everyone in a league if possible, so we'll make this last effort and see what happens. Thanks everyone.
Greg Ambrosius
Founder, National Fantasy Baseball Championship
General Manager, Consumer Fantasy Games at SportsHub Technologies
Twitter - @GregAmbrosius

eddiejag

Post by eddiejag » Fri Feb 23, 2007 12:09 pm

mAYBE NEXT YEAR YEAR YOU COULD HAVE DIFFERENT TIMES FOR THE DRAFT AND AUCTION, I know guys that would do both.
EDWARD J GILLIS

Red Sox Nation

Post by Red Sox Nation » Fri Feb 23, 2007 12:45 pm

Originally posted by eddiejag:

mAYBE NEXT YEAR YEAR YOU COULD HAVE DIFFERENT TIMES FOR THE DRAFT AND AUCTION, I know guys that would do both. I agree.
2004 NYY "The Greatest Choke in the History of Sports"

Sack

Post by Sack » Fri Feb 23, 2007 5:10 pm

Two times would open up the doors.

Kimo

Post by Kimo » Sat Feb 24, 2007 12:53 am

Why not have have two different times this year for the auction and draft for the ultimate? I'm sure we could get four, 15 team leagues
Jim Ferrari

Tom Kessenich

Post by Tom Kessenich » Fri Mar 02, 2007 8:26 am

OK, here's the update. We got another signup for the Ultimate today which brings us to 39 total signups. That's two full leagues and close to a fourth. We still need to confirm with all nine of those additional participants that they will sign up if we can put together a fourth league.

If we reach 10, would those of you on the list be interested in a 10-team league? How about a 12-team league? The prize structure would be re-formatted for both but we would be willing to do either of those if the interest is there. In a perfect world, we get to 15 but let's take this one step at a time.

So if you're interested in joining us for the Ultimate on Sunday, March 18th in any of our four cities contact Greg or myself or sign up online. Let's see if we can turn Sunday into a real Ultimate Party.
Tom Kessenich
Manager of High Stakes Fantasy Games, SportsHub Technologies
Twitter - @TomKessenich

poopy tooth

Post by poopy tooth » Fri Mar 02, 2007 9:28 am

Tom/Greg,

I can understand wanting to fill as many leagues as possible. I'm not sure how others feel, but if going to an auction format would attract more interest, I'd be more than happy to switch. I would prefer a 15 team league, myself. I would almost think maybe expanding the leagues to 20 teams would be more fun, just based on strategy. (And before the other owners pummel me, I'm not saying to do it. I just think in 12 team leagues, there are too many good players left in free agency.) Maybe 1 25 team league with almost doubled prize amounts??? You know some of you broke owners like myself would think long and hard before wussing out! :D

But, you guys have been great to work with and accommadating, so I'll do what I can to help.

[ March 02, 2007, 03:29 PM: Message edited by: poopy tooth ]

King of Queens

Post by King of Queens » Fri Mar 02, 2007 1:12 pm

ULTIMATE DRAFT LEAGUE

SUNDAY, MARCH 18, 1 P.M. EST

Las Vegas, Flamingo

1. Rick Thomas, (LV) (would do $7,500)

2. Shawn Childs, (LV) (would do $7,500)

3. Eddie Gillis, (LV) (would do $7,500)

4. David DiDonato (LV) (would do $7,500)

5. Jim & Paulina Ferrari (LV) (would do $7,500)

6. Chris Schinker (LV)

7. Steve Wells (LV)

8. Jesse Herron (LV) (would do $7,500)

9. Eric Peden (LV)

10. Kevin Bass (LV)

11. Duke Viveros (LV)

12. Brian Zeid (TAMPA)

13. Jeff Dobies (NY)

14. Stephen Jupinka (NY)

15. Scott Fleming (NY) (would do $7,500)

16. Joe Thelen (NY)

17. Leonard Ringle (NY) (would do $7,500)

18. Henry Cantrell Jr. (NY)

19. Michael Lins (NY) (would do Auction from New York)

20. Donn Johnson (NY)

21. David Deterra (NY)

22. Ari Benjamin (NY)

23. Glenn Schroter (NY)

24. Chris Plouffe (NY)

25. Andre Bourcier (NY)

26. Jason Duponte (NY)

27. George Kleemann (CHI)

28. Brent Grooms (CHI)

29. Chad Silverstein (TAMPA)

30. Jace Reed (LV)

31. Richard Kidd (NY)

32. Joseph Anello (NY)

33. Joseph Monaco (CHI)

34. Derek Briggs (CHI)

35. Don Johnson (LV)

36. Kevin Kirves (tentative)

37. Chris Hill (tentative)

38. Albert Petit (tentative)

39. Shawn Johnson (NY)

By my count, the first 30 signups consist of 12 from LV, 14 from NY, 2 from TB, and 2 from CHI. It would be great to get to 45 owners -- you'd fill up both LV and NY, and only have to do one phone league. However, the way it stands now, it looks like both Ultimate Leagues will involve a teleconference.

Well, at least most of the league will be in the same room...

Tom Kessenich

Post by Tom Kessenich » Sat Mar 03, 2007 2:46 am

Right now, we will have a teleconference for the Ultimate on Sunday. That's correct. So is there any further interest in a fourth league? The openings are there, the registration page is buzzing. What says those of you out there? And I know you're out there. :D
Tom Kessenich
Twitter - @TomKessenich

poopy tooth

Post by poopy tooth » Sat Mar 03, 2007 3:08 am

C'mon, Gekko!!! Sign up!!!

poopy tooth

Post by poopy tooth » Sat Mar 03, 2007 3:49 am

Tom,

Just a question, but if for some reason, you don't get enough entries for the additional league, will the first 30 all be placed into a bowl where they will be drawn out for league placement? For example, can you have 6 from LV, 1 for TB, 2 for Ch and 6 from NY in 1 league? Or will you guys have all of NY and LV in 1 league with fillers coming from other locations?

If there is a teleconference, will we still be going to draft location?

I know this may be jumping ahead of things and hopefully we'll get a few more to sign up to fill it out.

Chameleon

Post by Chameleon » Sat Mar 03, 2007 4:31 am

This is a tough situation, but I think you guys may just need to acknowledge that you might not make it to that fourth Ult. League (i.e., 1 auction league, and a third draft league).

People have known about this competition for well over a year now, so personally, I just don't see you finding what -- 6 ??? -- incremental owners this late.

And as for 10 team or 12 team leagues, too late in the going to course-correct like that. Most owners (myself included) have been preparing for a 15 team draft.

Not sure how to handle "who gets to play" if you only go with 2 Ult. Draft leagues, but it seems fair that the first 30 get to play (regardless of which city they are)? But that too is a tough issue, and I am sensitive to the logistics involved...

Keep up the good work!
"Past Peformance Does Not Guarantee Future Returns"

Gordon Gekko

Post by Gordon Gekko » Sat Mar 03, 2007 5:24 am

Originally posted by poopy tooth:

C'mon, Gekko!!! Sign up!!! i may consider a gig as a "hired gun", but i won't be purchasing an Ultimate team. this year i have to prove i got the good, before i put up 5K.

poopy tooth

Post by poopy tooth » Sat Mar 03, 2007 5:30 am

Alright, thought I'd give it a shot!

Greg Ambrosius

Post by Greg Ambrosius » Sat Mar 03, 2007 5:56 am

Originally posted by poopy tooth:

Tom,

Just a question, but if for some reason, you don't get enough entries for the additional league, will the first 30 all be placed into a bowl where they will be drawn out for league placement? For example, can you have 6 from LV, 1 for TB, 2 for Ch and 6 from NY in 1 league? Or will you guys have all of NY and LV in 1 league with fillers coming from other locations?

If there is a teleconference, will we still be going to draft location?

I know this may be jumping ahead of things and hopefully we'll get a few more to sign up to fill it out. Michael, if we finish with two Ultimate Draft Leagues, they will consist of the first 30 owners who signed up, which makes sense. That would mean 14 owners in New York and one from Tampa phoning in, which would be no trouble at all, and another league of 12 owners in LV, one from Tampa and two from Chicago. Again, no problem at all. That looks to be the way we'll go.

I hate to leave anyone out of a league, but if we don't get a third Ultimate Draft League this year that's the way she goes. Still, we'll see what the weekend brings and then act accordingly.
Greg Ambrosius
Founder, National Fantasy Baseball Championship
General Manager, Consumer Fantasy Games at SportsHub Technologies
Twitter - @GregAmbrosius

poopy tooth

Post by poopy tooth » Sat Mar 03, 2007 4:04 pm

Sounds good, Greg. Makes sense. We had a few calling in last year for ultamite. It works well with drafts. I'm sure you'll keep up posted on sign ups. I hope you get enough for the final league. It's a shame to leave some out.

No Balls No Babies

Post by No Balls No Babies » Sun Mar 04, 2007 9:30 am

I dont see any hurry!

We should at least give it til the 11th

before we get all worked up. I see no

advantage to closing signups before then.

I think we can all wait a couple of extra

days on our draft slots cant we?

Top Dawg

Post by Top Dawg » Sun Mar 04, 2007 10:58 am

Originally posted by No Balls No Babies:

I dont see any hurry!

We should at least give it til the 11th

before we get all worked up. I see no

advantage to closing signups before then.

I think we can all wait a couple of extra

days on our draft slots cant we? Personally, I would like my draft position by the 10th of March. The game is "sold out" at least as far as the amount of teams targeted. If there is a mad rush for more teams that's great - use all this week to sign them up. But either way, it would be nice to get the positions and leagues posted before people start traveling next week. Some of the pre-draft hype is posting messages to others in your league about how unlucky they are to have you in the league.

Just my opinion - everyone has one.

Pete
OK - So I'm not as good as I thought I was; but at least I am consistent.

Tom Kessenich

Post by Tom Kessenich » Mon Mar 05, 2007 2:23 am

We now have 10 signups for a possible fourth Ultimate League as Michael Pomponio has signed up to draft in New York. Can we get five more? How about two? Or will you guys go for a 10-team league? We have some more time but that's where we are. It looks like we may get another Ultimate League this year so if you want in sign up today.
Tom Kessenich
Twitter - @TomKessenich

MIAMI CANES

Post by MIAMI CANES » Mon Mar 05, 2007 3:29 am

hey tom or greg, i will probably do an ultimate from tampa but then i wouldnt do the 1250 on friday,or the 650 whatever let you know in a few days

Tom Kessenich

Post by Tom Kessenich » Mon Mar 05, 2007 3:44 am

Originally posted by MIAMI CANES:

hey tom or greg, i will probably do an ultimate from tampa but then i wouldnt do the 1250 on friday,or the 650 whatever let you know in a few days Contact us by phone or e-mail as soon as you know. That will help us not only decide what to do about the Ultimate but also what we're going to do with the auctions in Tampa and Chicago.
Tom Kessenich
Twitter - @TomKessenich

No Balls No Babies

Post by No Balls No Babies » Mon Mar 05, 2007 5:44 am

Greg and Tom,

I have no problem being in a 10 or 12 team league. How would you breakdown the prize

money distribution in that setup?

Tom Kessenich

Post by Tom Kessenich » Mon Mar 05, 2007 5:48 am

Originally posted by No Balls No Babies:

Greg and Tom,

I have no problem being in a 10 or 12 team league. How would you breakdown the prize

money distribution in that setup? Hey Brent, you're in a 15-team league no matter what. So you're all set. As far as what we'll do with the prizes we'll figure that out once we determine how many teams we'll have and who's all officially going to commit. But it would change a bit with fewer teams. Stay tuned.
Tom Kessenich
Twitter - @TomKessenich

Tom Kessenich

Post by Tom Kessenich » Mon Mar 05, 2007 6:28 am

Here's a breakdown of how the prize payout would be re-structured for a 10-team league:

1st $30,000

2nd $10,000

3rd $5,000

With 11 teams we could go like:

1st $30,000

2nd $12,000

3rd $7,000
Tom Kessenich
Twitter - @TomKessenich

Nevadaman

Post by Nevadaman » Mon Mar 05, 2007 6:37 am

Tom, If these are actual figures I have a problem with this! You're proposing a 90% payout to the 10 team league of last minute afterthoughts, but we who committed months ago are only getting 83%. Not right!!!