Closers

Edwards Kings

Closers

Post by Edwards Kings » Thu Dec 15, 2016 2:33 pm

Not something for the 2017 season, but if we see more of the other kids on the block get the shiney new toy (i.e. using the closer in the 8th because that is when the meat of the opposing order and the multi-inning closer), I think the same number of saves will be generated, but spread perhaps among more players. There may be fewer and fewer lock-down, 9th inning closers out there making drafting/buying saves even MORE risky.

But what if we changed "Saves" to "Saves + Holds". I can see two things:

1) Even if the biggest arm in the bullpen is used in the 8th, then at least we get something from him.
2) It would reduce the value of the closers and spread the risk among a slightly larger pool of pitchers (Addison Reed had 40 Holds last year!).

Just spit-balling.
Baseball is a slow, boring, complex, cerebral game that doesn't lend itself to histrionics. You 'take in' a baseball game, something odd to say about a football or basketball game, with the clock running and the bodies flying.
Charles Krauthammer

fwicker

Re: Closers

Post by fwicker » Thu Dec 15, 2016 3:05 pm

I'd prefer 1*Sv + 0.5*H as the RP category in the scenario you depict ... holds are too random compared to saves IMHO
"You can observe a lot by watching" - Yogi Berra

Bjs2025

Post by Bjs2025 » Thu Dec 15, 2016 3:45 pm

Edwards Kings wrote:Not something for the 2017 season, but if we see more of the other kids on the block get the shiney new toy (i.e. using the closer in the 8th because that is when the meat of the opposing order and the multi-inning closer), I think the same number of saves will be generated, but spread perhaps among more players. There may be fewer and fewer lock-down, 9th inning closers out there making drafting/buying saves even MORE risky.

1) Even if the biggest arm in the bullpen is used in the 8th, then at least we get something from him.
2) It would reduce the value of the closers and spread the risk among a slightly larger pool of pitchers (Addison Reed had 40 Holds last year!).

Just spit-balling.
I would really appreciate this change. Chasing saves is not fun and it would allow us to pursue good RP. I know it won't happen but would be a nice change.

Rainiers

Post by Rainiers » Mon Dec 26, 2016 10:53 am

Edwards Kings wrote:Not something for the 2017 season, but if we see more of the other kids on the block get the shiney new toy (i.e. using the closer in the 8th because that is when the meat of the opposing order and the multi-inning closer), I think the same number of saves will be generated, but spread perhaps among more players. There may be fewer and fewer lock-down, 9th inning closers out there making drafting/buying saves even MORE risky.

Just spit-balling.
Great suggestion. I'm looking at my projections for 2017 and realizing more and more of the best relievers in the game are being greatly devalued because of recent change of roles. Miller, Betances, Thornburg should all be top relievers but are not in our games. The trend is clear.

As difficult it is to change rules around here, I'm always supportive of a more realistic representation of the real game being reflected in our fantasy games. By far the two biggest disconnects are with the relief pitchers and also the refusal to recognize the importance of walks for hitters. I'm all for replacing Saves with Saves & Holds and BAvg with OBP.
- Robert

Bjs2025

Post by Bjs2025 » Mon Dec 26, 2016 10:54 am

Rainiers wrote:

Just spit-balling.
Great suggestion. I'm looking at my projections for 2017 and realizing more and more of the best relievers in the game are being greatly devalued because of recent change of roles. Miller, Betances, Thornburg should all be top relievers but are not in our games. The trend is clear.

As difficult it is to change rules around here, I'm always supportive of a more realistic representation of the real game being reflected in our fantasy games. By far the two biggest disconnects are with the relief pitchers and also the refusal to recognize the importance of walks for hitters. I'm all for replacing Saves with Saves & Holds and BAvg with OBP.
Agreed! Count me as someone who'd love for AVG to be changed to OBP. even one of the expert leagues made the switch

converge241

Post by converge241 » Tue Dec 27, 2016 7:22 am

I'm a big pusher of S+H, and it would be tremendous here and have thrown it out before

Got it into all the leagues I run and trying for the ones I don't run. Everyone has and makes use of more relievers. In leagues with a waiver wire it actually allows the SP pool to be a little better since there are more RPs owned. Gets rid of the overvalue of someone having the "job" . Guys in committees actually become more valuable. Had it in place for 3 years and even the folks who resisted it in the leagues I run where I campaigned for it they all universally love now