March 28th Online Championship League Dissolved

Greg Ambrosius

March 28th Online Championship League Dissolved

Post by Greg Ambrosius » Thu Aug 04, 2016 10:12 am

This morning we officially took steps to dissolve the March 28th 8 pm Rotowire Online Championship League (#3915). The statistics for all teams will be eliminated from the overall standings tonight and the 12 teams in this league should now show up at the bottom of the overall standings with no stats. This will change a lot of point totals tonight, so be ready for that.

Why did we take this extraordinary step to dissolve a league in our national contest? Because after reviewing the many cuts and pickups in this Online Championship League it became apparent that something was not right. There were cuts of Top 100 players before games ever started (April 3rd) and there were 7 different cuts of players in this league that didn't happen in another single Online Championship League. There were dozens of cuts in fact that seemed to help only a handful of teams because the majority of teams weren't bidding on these free agents. It just all added up to a level of concern in which we took the unprecedented step of dissolving this league and maintaining the integrity of our overall contest.

All 12 owners in this league were notified of our decision yesterday and today we took the moves to bench all players from each team starting on April 3rd. There will be no league prizes for this league and all accounts have been locked pertaining to these teams. We will take the next step of blocking some owners from the NFBC permanently.

The basis of our decision can be found in the Rules that all 12 owners agreed to when they signed up. The one that gives us this right to dissolve this league can be found here:

20. Code of Conduct

All participants and co-managers are expected to behave in lawful, respectful and sportsman-like fashion at all live draft events, throughout the NFBC season, and during use of any NFBC website, including, but not limited to comments posted on any NFBC message board. Additionally the NFBC events, games and/or leagues may not be used for any form of gambling. Any conduct or message board post by a participant, co-manager or other person which is deemed by STATS, in its sole discretion, to be unlawful, or to have the effect of intimidating, harassing, offending or otherwise harming any other participant, co-manager, guest, or NFBC/STATS representative, is strictly prohibited. STATS reserves the right, in its sole discretion to ban any person from current and/or future participation in the NFBC and/or from use of the message boards if such person engages in any such prohibited conduct or is otherwise in violation of any of these Rules. In addition, any person engaging in such conduct forfeits any rights to a refund, as well as any potential rights to a prize award. STATS shall not be responsible or held liable to any person for damage to property or personal injury or death arising from the acts or omissions of any third parties. Any participants or co-managers who collude, or attempt to collude, or who attempts to blackmail, bribe or otherwise influence any representative of STATS/NFBC, or who otherwise attempts to sabotage the league, in an effort to alter the results or outcome of any NFBC game will be disqualified and will be prohibited from winning any prize award. If a participant is banned from participation in a current NFBC game, then STATS reserves the right, to take those actions which it sees fit, in its sole discretion with respect to such banned participant’s team. Any criminal behavior may be referred to the appropriate authorities.

We are disappointed that we had to take this action with this league. It's the first time we've ever had to do this. But we can't have any league compromised by owners who change the competitive nature of the contest with questionable cuts. At some point, removing all free agents isn't enough. The league has been compromised and must be dissolved.

Thanks to our great owners who alerted us to this league and the questionable cuts and pickups. After doing a little more investigating the number of questionable cuts and the pickups with no competitive bids was just too much to ignore. It was no longer the same competitive playing field that the 124 other Online Championship Leagues were playing on.

Going forward we have to watch the signups even more closely and not allow more than two family members in a single league. We can't always prevent that, but it's something we must watch more closely and break up a league if it happens before the draft. Also, we may have to be more aggressive in our 12-team format in removing questionable cuts, although in this case it was the cumulative total of the cuts that stood out over time rather than a couple of Top 25 player cuts.

Look for updated standings tonight and good luck everyone. Let's hope this situation never occurs again because nothing is more important than the integrity of our contests. We can not have that integrity compromised. As you can see here, when we see that we will step in, investigate thoroughly and make the right call. The Online Championship goes forward with 1,488 active teams and a winner will be crowned at season's end. May the best team win!!

Thanks all and good luck.
Greg Ambrosius
Founder, National Fantasy Baseball Championship
General Manager, Consumer Fantasy Games at SportsHub Technologies
Twitter - @GregAmbrosius

DOUGHBOYS

Re: March 28th Online Championship League Dissolved

Post by DOUGHBOYS » Thu Aug 04, 2016 10:19 am

Thanks for the quick and thorough process, Greg.
The integrity of the game is what keeps customers here and adds new folks each year.
Well done.
On my tombstone-
Wait! I never had the perfect draft!

Bronx Yankees

Post by Bronx Yankees » Thu Aug 04, 2016 11:22 am

Excellent decision! This decision sends several clear messages. First, the integrity of the NFBC's contests are paramount and above reproach. Second, where and when necessary, the management of the NFBC (Greg and Tom) are ready, willing and able to step in and take necessary and appropriate steps to protect the integrity of the contests.

This could not have been an easy or fun matter to address. It sounds like this has never happened before in an NFBC contest. Certainly, every league may have some players that are less active than others, or who quit when they no longer feel they have a chance to cash. Also, questionable drops do occur from time to time, and every now and then players can grab decent players off the waiver wire with a low or relatively low bid. But, the sheer number of highly-questionable (and suspicious) drops that occurred in this league (some even before the season started) could not be ignored, nor could the numerous very-low successful bids (often with no runner-up bids) for players that individually would go for much-higher dollar amounts with multiple competing bids in virtually every other league.

The activity in this league struck me and many others as highly suspicious, and that's before you even consider that many of the players apparently are related in some way. Without doubt, something was seriously wrong with this league and the competitiveness of the overall contest would have been compromised by the inclusion of the statistics of this suspect league. Kudos to those that shone a light on the activity in this league, and to the NFBC for taking decisive action to protect the integrity of its contests.

Mike
Mike Mager
"Bronx Yankees"

Oaktown

Post by Oaktown » Thu Aug 04, 2016 11:51 am

Awesome work Greg and whoever else was involved. I am sure a huge pain to deal with, but it was handled superbly by all. Thanks, another reason why the NFBC is the best game in town.

CALI CARTEL

Post by CALI CARTEL » Thu Aug 04, 2016 11:52 am

Bravo

COZ

Post by COZ » Thu Aug 04, 2016 2:25 pm

Transparency + Communication + Integrity = The National. Fantasy. Baseball Championship. (Howard Cosell voice)
COZ

"Baseball has it share of myths, things that blur the line between fact & fiction....Abner Doubleday inventing the game, Babe Ruth's Called Shot, Sid Finch's Fastball, the 2017 Astros...Barry Bonds's 762 HR's" -- Tom Verducci

Ichiban

Post by Ichiban » Thu Aug 04, 2016 9:07 pm

Absolutely fantastic decision Greg- makes me love the NFBC even more. And 100% justified.

Just one comment- why not only letting one family member in a league, not two? With 12 team leagues, two isn't really good, even if they aren't trying to cheat. Just discussing moves they will make will put other teams at a disadvantage.

Don't mean to complain when you made such a great decision, but I did want to give you my input.

Thanks again.

EWeaver

Post by EWeaver » Thu Aug 04, 2016 10:47 pm

the right decision. you guys run a good contest.

Sebadiah23

Post by Sebadiah23 » Thu Aug 04, 2016 11:48 pm

Congrats Greg and Tom on a great ruling.

-Craig K.

Dustmite

Post by Dustmite » Fri Aug 05, 2016 8:19 am

Wtg Greg and Tom...honestly I can't believe it took so long for some numbskulls to try this
RotoSaurus.com

FrozenTundra

Post by FrozenTundra » Fri Aug 05, 2016 11:15 am

Congratulations. It comes as no surprise that you did an excellent job.

Deadheadz

Post by Deadheadz » Fri Aug 05, 2016 1:31 pm

Dustmite wrote:Wtg Greg and Tom...honestly I can't believe it took so long for some numbskulls to try this
Call me a pessimist but this could have been someone's attempt to test the safeguards of the contest.
Next time they'll use 12 different names from 12 different locations/IP addresses and FAAB bids designed to look competitive.

Be vigilant!

Sincerely,
Longtime listener of Art Bell/AM Coast-to-Coast
The Bill Buckner of FAAB
Deadheadz

Rainiers

Post by Rainiers » Sat Aug 06, 2016 8:58 am

When the going gets tough the tough get going. I'd expect nothing less from you Packer fans. Nice job, Greg, Tom, Stats.
- Robert

Atlas

Post by Atlas » Sun Aug 07, 2016 10:20 am

I do feel for those unwitting members of that league (if there were any) that are collateral damage.

Yah Mule

Post by Yah Mule » Sun Aug 07, 2016 11:29 am

Atlas wrote:I do feel for those unwitting members of that league (if there were any) that are collateral damage.
I have no sympathy for anybody who doesn't know or care enough to bid more than 25 bucks on Joey Votto. Hard to imagine any explanation besides complicity.

Atlas

Post by Atlas » Sun Aug 07, 2016 1:05 pm

Yah Mule wrote:
Atlas wrote:I do feel for those unwitting members of that league (if there were any) that are collateral damage.
I have no sympathy for anybody who doesn't know or care enough to bid more than 25 bucks on Joey Votto. Hard to imagine any explanation besides complicity.

True

Money

Post by Money » Sun Aug 07, 2016 1:52 pm

Yah Mule wrote:
One of those unwitting members resides in second place overall in the same competition with a team from a different league. It seems odd that a player of that caliber did not know what was going on in this league. It would be interesting to hear his take on things. By the way his other league looks fine.
Joe

dwhite349

Post by dwhite349 » Sun Aug 07, 2016 2:49 pm

Money wrote:
Yah Mule wrote:
One of those unwitting members resides in second place overall in the same competition with a team from a different league. It seems odd that a player of that caliber did not know what was going on in this league. It would be interesting to hear his take on things. By the way his other league looks fine.

Could be a guy having a busy week at his real job!

BK METS

Post by BK METS » Sun Aug 07, 2016 5:15 pm

Bryan has been a legit player for several years. I don't think there is a need to question him. The league in question is dissolved. Bryan was not benefiting from the apparent collusion. He has a good track record. I think we can move on now.

Money

Post by Money » Sun Aug 07, 2016 10:04 pm

BK METS wrote:Bryan has been a legit player for several years. I don't think there is a need to question him. The league in question is dissolved. Bryan was not benefiting from the apparent collusion. He has a good track record. I think we can move on now.
Well there you have it, the NFBC's newly self appointed integrity officer that some have been clamoring for. First off no one suggested that Bryan is not a legitimate player. Secondly, he did benefit from the collusion as he has another team that no longer has to deal with the top team from his other league. He moved up a spot by that league being removed and he was a part of that league.

I am certain the the NFBC checked out his other league and talked to all involved. I for one simply wondered why he did not bring the league to light during the course of the season. Your endorsement is fine, but means no more or less than any other NFBC players endorsement. As I stated earlier it would just be interesting to hear his take on the the events that have occurred. The questions that intrigue me I'm sure have been asked by the NFBC and answered. These are unchartered waters and no stone should be left unturned.
Joe

marknym

Post by marknym » Mon Aug 08, 2016 11:53 am

Money wrote: One of those unwitting members resides in second place overall in the same competition with a team from a different league. It seems odd that a player of that caliber did not know what was going on in this league. It would be interesting to hear his take on things. By the way his other league looks fine.
just getting up to speed on this, heard about it on Oaktown's podcast, I hadn't been on the boards lately. I don't play the 12-teamer, but I'm in Main Event and DC. Glad that Greg and Tom acted decisively here.

But now I'd like to know more about this owner mentioned here, and why this owner didn't bid on all of those fishy high-end FAs throughout the year. If this owner (or any other) was colluding, something further needs to be done with regard to that owner's other teams IMO to preserve integrity.
Mark Evans

Cocktails and Dreams

Post by Cocktails and Dreams » Mon Aug 08, 2016 5:27 pm

Everyone is just supposed to move on. Alan said so.

BK METS

Post by BK METS » Mon Aug 08, 2016 8:43 pm

Money wrote:
BK METS wrote:Bryan has been a legit player for several years. I don't think there is a need to question him. The league in question is dissolved. Bryan was not benefiting from the apparent collusion. He has a good track record. I think we can move on now.
Well there you have it, the NFBC's newly self appointed integrity officer that some have been clamoring for. First off no one suggested that Bryan is not a legitimate player. Secondly, he did benefit from the collusion as he has another team that no longer has to deal with the top team from his other league. He moved up a spot by that league being removed and he was a part of that league.

I am certain the the NFBC checked out his other league and talked to all involved. I for one simply wondered why he did not bring the league to light during the course of the season. Your endorsement is fine, but means no more or less than any other NFBC players endorsement. As I stated earlier it would just be interesting to hear his take on the the events that have occurred. The questions that intrigue me I'm sure have been asked by the NFBC and answered. These are unchartered waters and no stone should be left unturned.
I wasn't trying to cause a problem with you Joe. I actually think its great that you did all of this work and honestly I think you have taken a back seat to taking any credit, which I think is honorable. Greg had made a mention of both Steve Shields and Bryan Propst in another post, that they had made no questionable moves in this league. I wasn't trying to make my own determination, but only repeating what Greg had said. I thought that since the league was dissolved, we could move on. Obviously not. I am sure Greg will chime in about Bryan, since that appears to be your concern.

Money

Post by Money » Mon Aug 08, 2016 9:51 pm

BK METS wrote:
Money wrote:

I wasn't trying to cause a problem with you Joe. I actually think its great that you did all of this work and honestly I think you have taken a back seat to taking any credit, which I think is honorable. Greg had made a mention of both Steve Shields and Bryan Propst in another post, that they had made no questionable moves in this league. I wasn't trying to make my own determination, but only repeating what Greg had said. I thought that since the league was dissolved, we could move on. Obviously not. I am sure Greg will chime in about Bryan, since that appears to be your concern.
My concern has always been about the integrity and fairness for all involved. Unfortunately everyone in an absurd league that has to be dissolved should come under great scrutiny especially one that has benefited greatly from it.

I am going to open a new thread to lay out some concerns that linger. This was never going to be easy and the more things get looked into sometimes the more that is discovered. It's how this entire thing came about.
Joe

Money

Post by Money » Mon Aug 08, 2016 9:56 pm

Greg, I've noticed and received a note today about the elimination of the stats. It appears that the dissolved league has yet to be fully dissolved of their stats. They should all rank last in each of the categories and not accumulate any stats over anyone else. Can you please check to see why this has not happened. It won't make a big difference but should be accurate for the record.
Joe